• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'58 Jr P90 pickup mounting question

soap.jpg

So it looks inside my ´58 junior

Best regards and happy new year,
Karsten

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I got out three double cut Juniors yesterday, including my one with a soap bar.
I couldn't hear any tone differences that were major enough to attribute to the different pickup mounting. :)

Luke Gibson

I got out three double cut Juniors yesterday, including my one with a soap bar.
I couldn't hear any tone differences that were major enough to attribute to the different pickup mounting. :)

Thanks TW, I think I had the same impression with mine after I installed the screws. :peace2

Rev.WillieVK

In Karsten's photo, what is the mark in the cavity at lower right? FWIW there appears to be a corresponding mark on the pickup bottom:

i-3J8drfd.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
In Karsten's photo, what is the mark in the cavity at lower right? FWIW there appears to be a corresponding mark on the pickup bottom:

i-3J8drfd.jpg

Could be something simple, like a slight build up [or drop] of original finish. :hmm

Luke Gibson

I played my '58 jr just last weekend at a gig with screws installed in the pickup, I'm not sure if it changed the tone, I'll have to experiment....

Luke Gibson

Does anyone have any ideas or theory's why these '58 Jr's never got the 8 in the serial number? I have no clue, I'm sure it could be as simple as a new employee forgot or the stamp was damaged....

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Does anyone have any ideas or theory's why these '58 Jr's never got the 8 in the serial number? I have no clue, I'm sure it could be as simple as a new employee forgot or the stamp was damaged....

I have heard several ideas and had several myself.
But they are just that, ideas.
No definitve info has surfaced.

Luke Gibson

I have heard several ideas and had several myself.
But they are just that, ideas.
No definitve info has surfaced.

Thanks Tom, I'm sure it's all conjecture but I'd like to hear your thoughts or ideas why....?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thanks Tom, I'm sure it's all conjecture but I'd like to hear your thoughts or ideas why....?

I have never seen the ink stamp they used. I have seen several types of stamps [used a few in my teens at a grocery store]. They often have the numbers on a strip and you move the strip by hand to the next number. These always have blank spots on them, and it would be very simple to move the "year digit" to a spot that had no number at all.
Or it is also possible it was damaged.
I cannot think of a [good] reason why they might do this on purpose and I therefore think it might have been an oversight [of some kind] by someone new to stamping the numbers.

These serial numbers are quite different in font and font size than the FON stamps and also the stamps on the paper labels.

The strangest thing I have seen is that most [if not all] the 4 digit guitars have soapbars under the dog ear covers.

There are several noticable anomolies with the ink stamp numbers. I doubt we will ever solve some of them.

Luke Gibson

I have never seen the ink stamp they used. I have seen several types of stamps [used a few in my teens at a grocery store]. They often have the numbers on a strip and you move the strip by hand to the next number. These always have blank spots on them, and it would be very simple to move the "year digit" to a spot that had no number at all.
Or it is also possible it was damaged.
I cannot think of a [good] reason why they might do this on purpose and I therefore think it might have been an oversight [of some kind] by someone new to stamping the numbers.

These serial numbers are quite different in font and font size than the FON stamps and also the stamps on the paper labels.

The strangest thing I have seen is that most [if not all] the 4 digit guitars have soapbars under the dog ear covers.

There are several noticable anomolies with the ink stamp numbers. I doubt we will ever solve some of them.
Thanks Tom! I have always assumed it was a similar stamper as you mentioned, I wonder if anyone knows what Gibson actually used to stamp serial numbers??

Joe Desperado

My single cut had a a soapbar too. It has two screw holes under the pickup as well. I always assumed mine was 57 but I suppose it could be a 58. (serial number is gone).

Luke Gibson

I still haven't figured out why these only have 4 digits and soapbar P90's? Oh well.....

Brown Recluse

Old thread but here is another '58 on eBay:
046_zps3c74f787.jpg

I owned this guitar from the early 70's until 2 or 3 days before it became part of the seller's "personal collection" and was listed for sale on ebay. "The edges of the body were professionally and very delicately blended to keep the finish looking as new as possible (it wore thin around the edges)." The edges of the finish "wore thin around the edges" when the guitar fell out of its case and hit the sidewalk.

The AC-10 Twin in the video demo was also mine.

Last edited: