The Fender Forum
LPF Facebook Page
LPF Instagram Page
NEW Merchandise!
Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Please Make a Donation to the Les Paul Forum to Keep it Going!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Photos in Jimmy Page Photoautobiography!!

I have no idea what section this really belongs in. My apolgies if this is the wrong one.

I am sharing this story for my fellow Jimmy Page fans. I hope you enjoy.

In 1976 and' 77, I used to smuggle my camera into shows in Detroit, rush the stage when the headliner came on (they let us do that?), and would sell 8x10's to schoolmates. WIth each show, my skills improved such that I was able obtain a photo pass for Tull in 3/77, which yielded the best shots to date - hard to mess up when stahding protected against the stage). I shot Zep at the Pontiac show, and convinced my parents (I was 17) to let me go the NYC if I could get tix for any of the 6 shows. I mailed away, and got good seats off the side of stage right for show #5 on Monday, 6/13.

After receiving the tix, I embarked on an effort to obtain a photo pass for Zep in NYC. I sent some slides to Swan Song, and followed with a call. No luck. Called again - still did not get to speak to anyone. Then, in early May, I get a call from Swan Song - they have issued all the passes "but have two 2nd row center seats for Saturday the 11th, would that be good enough?" While looking for my jaw, I agree they will be fine. My dream was to get a photo published on /in an album cover. Fat chance, just like getting the tix and photo access. It's nice to dream.

Then obstacles started to appear. No one I knew was allowed to join me. The night before I need to leave for NYC from Detroit, I run into a guy that graduated a year earlier, voted most likely to be a burn-out, and he jumps at the opportunity - I gave him the other 2nd row seat. He was a die hard Stones fan and used to talk trash about either them or Aerosmith being able to smoke the mighty Zep. The show changed his mind. LOL

We get to NYC, hotel says lost my reservation while Liliy Tomlin is checking in next to me. They finanally accomodate us with a room. All we had was enough cash for the weekend - no credit cards. Tough way to go in NYC.

Did not locate the tix until 1/2 prior to the show. After getting the tix at willcall, the security would not let me in with the camera equip. I call backstage again to the Swan Song exec. He takes the trouble to come up and meet met me outside of willcall, and took my camera in. He says to meet him center stage at the barrier, and that people that need to know were notified that I was authorized to be there with the camera.

I took 180 shots that were keepers - threw about 30 out. The photos have never been published, although many have asked why not, or that I should do a book, etc...

Met JPJ the next day, and breached security found myself standing outside JP's hotel room, but did not get to meet him.

Fast forward 33 years to 1/1/2010.
    On1/1 of this year, I noticed an entry on Halfin's site that he was working on JP's book. I emailed him, indicating I have a bunch of solid photos I took as a guest of Swan Song. He asked me to send 10 or so, and would "forward them if they were good enough". But he needed them in one day (flsle deadline as it turns out). I had to have the slides digitized, and found someone on Saturday 1/2 that had me over to his home for the afternoon to scan a majority of the Zep slides via the top Nikon scanner. I submitted 21 shots, with a follow -up email a couple days later. Silence. I figure I missed the deadline or the shots were not good enough.

On 1/26, I receive an email that says "JP picked 2 he liked-I'll let you know next month if they will be used". I fell out of my chair.

Followed up to find out which 2 were selected, and Halfin says check back in Feb. On 3/1, he says check in another week. In the meantime, he brings the project manager into the fold of corresopndence. On 3/18, I email the PM to inquire which 2 were selected, and submit 3 additional shots from the laser / bow segment as they are so unusual (a pro said I should have submitted them). Within an hour, I am cc'd me on an email to the PM which says, "show Jimmy these tomorrow.... I just told him." Turns out they finished the layout for the book earlier in the day and Halfin thought they were worthy of consideration and called JP to tell him of the late entry. Amazing!

The following Monday, I receive an email from the PM, and I quote - "I showed Jimmy your laser images on Friaday and he asked to see the in the layout of the relevant chapter of the book, which is about how he used the laser light show. The design people will be working on it next week. I will let you know as soon as I have news."

Hopefully I am not jinxing it by talking about it. At the moment, it looks rather promising that 5 of my photos will end up in the book, each hand picked by JP! I am flabbergasted that this is happening 33 years after taking the shots. Who would have thought this to be possible - nobody, certainly not me.

In the meantime. a B&W photo turned up on the Zep website (1977 section) of the audience on 6/11 shortly before the lights went down, taken from just right of the stage in the risers. Sure enough, there I am at the barrier center stage with my camera bag, just after receiving it from the Swan Song guy. The photo gave me a whole different perspective of what I pulled off at age 17. The photo is here - http://www.ledzeppelin.com/image/new-york-6-11-77-0

I hope in the end that I will get ot meet the man (book release function perhaps), or I'll be direct and suggest pizza in London some afternoon or evening (i know - it will never happen - gotta ask to find out). Worst case, will be credits in the book - which would be awesome - maybe an autographed copy. They are only printing 2500 copies (Genesis) - they do have a sign up site.

I'll post some photos with #1 soon. There are also shots with the double neck and the cherry red LP he was using.

There are many more details to the story surrounding the event in '77. It was a gas then, and the current status of the photos is surreal. Just having JP see the shots and pick some if most flattering. Even if they don't end up in the book, the recent events have been exciting.

A big thanks to Mr. Halfin for experessing an interest, taking the time and effort to look at them, and forward them to JP for consideration.

Tonehawk
    Last edited by Tonehawk; 04-01-10 at 09:02 AM. Reason: correct typos

Re: My Photos in Jimmy Page Photoautobiography!!

Great story! Thanks for sharing! Awesome!
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Les Paul Forum Member Biggles58's Avatar

Great story Tonehawk and kudos to you making it happen. When is the book to be published and are you willing to share some of your pics here?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles58 View Post
    Great story Tonehawk and kudos to you making it happen. When is the book to be published and are you willing to share some of your pics here?
    Biggles58 - Thanks! Yes indeed. I'll will post a few this evening - they will be shots that were not submitted. Once the details are done I'll be in a position to post additional shots.

Les Paul Forum Member

Excellent story....congrats!
    Enjoy that with my compliments. 🤠👍

Les Paul Forum Member kharrison's Avatar

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar

Congrats. Regardless what happens now, that's some great experience. Good luck.

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

TONEHAWK!

Les Paul Forum Member SoloDallas's Avatar

Great story.

my favorite story of the week. ANYWHERE!

Les Paul Forum Member winered82's Avatar

Awesome story and experience, congrats!

Thanks for sharing man! Great story!

I'd love to see some of these shots too very cool!

Les Paul Forum Member Jim Jones's Avatar

Congratulations! It doesn't get much cooler than that!

What a story!! I'm sure they'll make it on that book!

Wow wow wow!!! Can't wait to see some of your shots. What a great experience and congratulations on your imminent success!
    2005 R8 Washed Cherry

Awesome!

What a great story. I cannot believe you've kept all those shots "quiet" for this whole time. Remarkable. Congrats and major Kudos to you. Best of luck!
    See ya here, there, or in the air...

Les Paul Forum Member

Fantastic! Good going man.

Went to the 4/10/77 show at the Chicago Stadium, but sat way back in the mezzanine. So, so jealous right now.

A good old friend of mine was a beer vender at MSG and gave up his job that night to see the show instead of sell beer. Funny story but Tonehawk's story is so cool and a bit touching that I don't want to take away from it by telling this one.
    Well done TH!! Congrats. I'm proud for you.

Congrats, it sounds amazing!

Les Paul Forum Member

Wow, that is a great story! Looking forward to seeing some of the photos you took that nite!

Re: My Photos in Jimmy Page Photoautobiography!! Photos Posted!

Well, thank you for all of the kind words. It is the "coolest" thing that has ever happened to me.

It was most amazing sitting that close. Plus the bonus is that is was one of the best performances of the '77 tour based on the recorded evedence. I only got my hands on the boot last year. No quarter was particularly outstanding. I yelled Heartbreaker as Plant walked in fornt of me at one point, to which he exclaimed "Heartbreaker?" - and they played it for the encore - one of the only times of the tour I believe. I'd like to believe it was because I yelled it. No matter what, cool coincidence, especially for a ultra-enthusiastic 17 year old Zeppelin freak! I am pretty sure all must have been advised (band and security) that I was "approved" to avoid the well documented typical removal process of unauthorized photographers, audio recorders, or profiteers. I was standing like a beacon while folks around me were sitting and never got a look from any security.

Here are a number of good shots. I don't have them all scanned yet, and need to buy a nikon scanner to do it properly. I can't post any of the shots I submitted, which are my fav's, but I will be able to put some others up in the near future. Perhaps, needless to say (so why am I saying it I ask?), I won't be able to put up the selected ones assuming they make it.

This is the first time these have been seen other than by a handful or two of friends over the years, and those involved with the book.

I hope you enjoy!

The first three are during Song Remains the Same.

In My Time of Dying

Battle of Evermore

No Quarter

Moby Dick

Bow Solo

Achilles - This really smoked!

I'll post a few more.

Tonehawk

Here are a couple more for now.

Stairway

End of Set - Pre Encore

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

AWESOME!!! These were at the Silverdome show? My uncle camped out to get tix for that. I, however was only 3 then...lucky guy! I have the audio from that one. Still in the Metro Detroit area?

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Fantastic story. Great pics. Nice to hear good things happening somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Ford View Post
    AWESOME!!! These were at the Silverdome show? My uncle camped out to get tix for that. I, however was only 3 then...lucky guy! I have the audio from that one. Still in the Metro Detroit area?
    Sorry Kris, these were at Madison Sqare Garden - I lived in Mich and drove to NYC for the show.

I have some form Pontiac, but they are not scaneed yet.

Les Paul Forum Member

Great story and pictures. Congrats!

Great story!

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

Les Paul Forum Member

i'd be flipping my lid if i was in your shoes...how cool....and thanks for sharing...just great...;-)

You are livin' the dream, Drew...

WAAYY Cool read!

Congrats and good luck with the book deal!
    Game on!

Great story... and fantastic pics.

Congrats, and good luck on getting your photos published.
    Growing old is mandatory...growing up is optional!

That's a great story. Halfin is kind of the "go to" guy these days, so it's fantastic that your stuff made the grade. On a side note, he once wrote on his Web site how much he enjoyed my book "Seventies Rock: The Decade of Creative Chaos" - that certainly made my day!
    Regards, Frank
    Visit my rock and racing writing at: http://home.comcast.net/~loudfast
    "I want to hear and see everything..." -- Jimi Hendrix

Les Paul Forum Member skyeking69's Avatar

Congrats Drew! did all this at 17, very cool....reminds me of the movie
    "Almost Famous" cheers!!

Awesome story! At age 17, an doing it on your own? Frikin Great!

Tonehawk, reading your story again brings back all the memories of what it was like to be that age and how important those shows really were. We lived a part of history that I believe will stand the test of time. This music, these bands, the events at which they played are going to live on as a golden age of music and it will always be a symbol of what it means to be young and free in a troubled world. You had the foresight at the age of 17 to capture these images which will live forever alongside the mighty music of Led Zeppelin.

Damn, Otto summed it up so well. It was like that wasn't it! I feel blessed to have seen and experienced the classic bands that many young people ane "discovering" today. Even though I'm getting older it is a thrill to see kids wearing repro concert tees that I own originals of and had seen those bands on the tour on the repro shirt! These photos are a testament to that time and those bands. Thanks for including the forum in your wonderful experiences Drew. This thread alone shows how great this forum can be. Sharing photos,opinions, and life experiences! It doesn't get any better eh?

"On a good day (I know it ain't everyday), we can part the sea. On a bad day (I know it's not everyday), glory beyond our reach."

"If you can't dig on Esther well you'd better leave town, cause if you think she's bad you oughta see her sister."
    Billy F. Gibbons

"As the man says, all the southern children like to rock & roll!!" Chris Robinson.

"With a song in my heart, and an attitude from the start, I took everybody apart to see how they worked." Steve Earle.

Les Paul Forum Member

thank you for posting 'hawk. Hope your pix get picked.
    Texas Supro junkie

Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar

Man, that's such a great story!!! Thanks for sharing....

"The Mighty Led Zeppelin".....that's what I thought before seeing them in 1977 in St. Louis.

"Wow"...."The Mighty Led Zeppelin"......it's too bad they crushed my dreams and bitterly dissappointed me with an embarassingly bad performance....one they NEVER should've played. I felt so taken afterwards.....like someone had robbed me and made me watch some foolish amateurs pretending to be a bad imitation of...."The Mighty Led Zeppelin".

Never been so dissapointed by a band...so ripped off...It still affects me to this day when I listen to any of their live shows. The Mighty Led Zeppelin indeed.....

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bluesforstevie View Post
    Man, that's such a great story!!! Thanks for sharing....

"The Mighty Led Zeppelin".....that's what I thought before seeing them in 1977 in St. Louis.

"Wow"...."The Mighty Led Zeppelin"......it's too bad they crushed my dreams and bitterly dissappointed me with an embarassingly bad performance....one they NEVER should've played. I felt so taken afterwards.....like someone had robbed me and made me watch some foolish amateurs pretending to be a bad imitation of...."The Mighty Led Zeppelin".

Never been so dissapointed by a band...so ripped off...It still affects me to this day when I listen to any of their live shows. The Mighty Led Zeppelin indeed.....
    Cool story for sure...

I begged my parents to let me see them at the Oakland Coliseum 'Day On The Green' in '77, but they were not about to let a 13 year old (and his friends) go to concerts. It was their last US performance and the one where Bonham was arrested. Yea. '77 was a tough year for 'The Mighty Led Zeppelin'. Not sure why they didn't just take some time off since by all accounts at many of the shows Jimmy Page was in no condition to play. I guess the excess of the 70's finally caught with them. In fact, 1977 was really the end of an era as rock music devolved into Punk, Disco, and Hair Metal.

In retrospect, I am thankful of not seeing the band past their prime. Jimmy Page looks like a skeleton in those pictures and the band just has a sense of dread about them. You can see it in their faces.