• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

replacement for waffle-back Klusons ?

garywright

Well, the screws are in true, but whatever you guys say.

WB-K3G-PRL.jpg

these ARE the tuners that you're referring too ..correct ?

SoK66

If he has a vintage 355 with wafflebacks then he wants the reissues with metal buttons, not the plastic ones. They will screw right on.

BobV

I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied if you believe that "tuning stability" has anything to do with the tuners. It's really not possible unless a machine is horribly damaged - and then it's still rare - for the machines to slip or in any way go out of tune once they're set. High quality tuners with sealed/cast cases work smoothly and are a joy to turn; vintage style tuners with stamped covers are stiff to turn so you have to crank them a bit to get them free before they turn. However the conventional wisdom is that any tuner will hold once it's in tune.

If you think your guitar goes out of tune too easily, it's probably an issue with the nut slots binding and a competent tech can fix it faster than explaining it.

zombiwoof

I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied if you believe that "tuning stability" has anything to do with the tuners. It's really not possible unless a machine is horribly damaged - and then it's still rare - for the machines to slip or in any way go out of tune once they're set. High quality tuners with sealed/cast cases work smoothly and are a joy to turn; vintage style tuners with stamped covers are stiff to turn so you have to crank them a bit to get them free before they turn. However the conventional wisdom is that any tuner will hold once it's in tune.

If you think your guitar goes out of tune too easily, it's probably an issue with the nut slots binding and a competent tech can fix it faster than explaining it.

I said that about 15 posts back!

Al

darkwave

I should chime in that while 99.5% of the time tuners aren't to blame - there are occasions where they are. A pinion gear should never be able to drive a worm gear, but the vintage Klusons on my Supro lapsteel slipped extremely poorly - no doubt about it. Tune up, and you could hear AND SEE it drift back down in pitch afterward. Something must have been horribly worn for it to reach that point. I can also say that another set of vintage Kluson wafflebacks I have hold tuning, but don't feel entirely smooth or stable doing so.

I use vintage style tuners on several of my guitars and like them, so it's not a bias I'm showing, but not ALL tuning problems are due to poor stringing technique or bad nuts.

-Douglas C

Uncle Gary

I wish I had a 355 or LP Custom, just so I could install a set of theose new wafflebacks! They're groovy.

DannyD

I want to replace my wafflebacks on my LP custom with locking tuners but the Revolution screw holes did not line up. Any ideas?

Minibucker

I would think think that the current Kluson replacements would be at least as good, quality-wise, as the originals when new, no?

DannyD

Is there a set of locking tuners that match up with the wafflebacks? Screw holes and non collared? Thanks

TM1

The new Wafflebacks are great! I have a set on my R-4 & on my Historic Hummingbird(2005)! They work great! So much better than the old wafflebacks that I had on my LP Custom.

DannyD

I currently have waffle backs on my '68 custom, but I was looking for a locking set that fits. I called Kluson and they told me they have not yet made a set of locking tuners that match the waffle backs.

EFLOW

The KLUSON Revolution are awesome machine head, a nice vintage design with new technology and high 19:1 ratio.

The keys are very smooth and the guitar stays in tune. The light weight is perfect for my SG, The KLUSON Revolution are the best tuners imho, killer !

sg_st157.jpg

Last edited: