The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I finally got a play a real 'burst...(Gladys)

... knowing what I know now about them. I haven't played a 'burst since before I knew what to listen/feel for.

I learned a lot today, and confirmed what I thought I knew.
    Went there to look at a guitar that he is selling that I didn't buy for personal reasons.

Thanks a bunch Joe Ganzler.

Re: I finally got a play a real 'burst...(Gladys)

Gladys kills me everytime I see her. Definitely in my top 5 Burst of all time

That is a very special guitar. I totally "get it"

I wish I didn't, but I do.

Something about "Pandora's snatch"

I got to ask the silly question. What lick did you start with? What amp did you plug into? Must have been a great experience.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    ... knowing what I know now about them. I haven't played a 'burst since before I knew what to listen/feel for.

I learned a lot today, and confirmed what I thought I knew.
    Went there to look at a guitar that he is selling that I didn't buy for personal reasons.

Thanks a bunch Joe Ganzler.
    Looks good on you.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

You're RUINT now.

Les Paul Forum Member moonweasel's Avatar

I don't want to play a 'burst. There will be no going back, and I don't have 200k+ laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by bnorm44 View Post
    I got to ask the silly question. What lick did you start with? What amp did you plug into? Must have been a great experience.
    I held the neck to my ear and picked some odd chords and listened to the huge harmonic structure of the notes and chords as they sustained and developed from big notes fading to the overtones. And the way the sound echoed/reverberated in the wood. Joe asked that I let the amp/speakers warm up a bit before cranking it.
    The amp was about 15 feet away in the closet off the back side of a large bathroom/shower area. Looked like a Marshall 1962 "bluesbreaker" later style cab. I didn't look at it close or even see how it was set. Based on how it sounded I'd guess right in the sweet spot just about maxed.
    Played abunch of noodly riffs. Big chunky chords, hard, soft picking. hybrid picking with a pick "tele style", bare finger cluster. Stock stining blues licks. lots of bends with dynamics.
    That guitar has an amazing dynamic range and extremely complex "finish" to the notes whether acoustic or electric.

I was ready to be "ruint" by it but instead I'm very pleased with the way my two main 1968s held their own (IMHO).

I may rethink my pickup choice in my sunburst as it is a bit too bright and not complex enough in the overtones. My goldtop is as expected. I think it could pass a blindfold test.

Last edited by Wilko; 02-02-10 at 11:56 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member Joe Ganzler's Avatar

It's always "funny" to me when a good player with a VERY good ear picks up Gladys, and hears/feels/senses things IMMEDIATELY. I say "funny" because I read SO much on this Forum from guys that have not/CAN not differentiate between things that have always been SO VERY CLEAR to me and others...Today's session reminded me of one of the sessions that *I* spent with C. Daughtry many years ago at HIS house - that was the first time that I "got it" - the overtones, the "note bloom", the secondary tone - whatEVER you want to refer to it as...

Rick was right - his '68's sounded VERY good in comparison - my contention for quite some time now as well. My own '68, not as good - though I personally blame the pickup choice; but that's a whole 'nuther Oprah. Thanks for the LONG overdue visit, Rick - it's ALWAYS a pleasure hosting a fine guitar player who looks as good as you in cheap clothes!
    "If you're lucky enough to live at the beach, then you're lucky enough..."

Great posts, great pics!

Man if I'd know I would have gone to Oberstdorf to meet Joe, Mingus and Florian (and to watch the Ski Flying World Cup).
    Last edited by hoss; 02-03-10 at 03:28 AM.

I held the neck to my ear and picked some odd chords and listened to the huge harmonic structure of the notes and chords as they sustained and developed from big notes fading to the overtones. And the way the sound echoed/reverberated in the wood. Joe asked that I let the amp/speakers warm up a bit before cranking it.
    The amp was about 15 feet away in the closet off the back side of a large bathroom/shower area. Looked like a Marshall 1962 "bluesbreaker" later style cab. I didn't look at it close or even see how it was set. Based on how it sounded I'd guess right in the sweet spot just about maxed.
    Played abunch of noodly riffs. Big chunky chords, hard, soft picking. hybrid picking with a pick "tele style", bare finger cluster. Stock stining blues licks. lots of bends with dynamics.
    That guitar has an amazing dynamic range and extremely complex "finish" to the notes whether acoustic or electric.

I was ready to be "ruint" by it but instead I'm very pleased with the way my two main 1968s held their own (IMHO).

I may rethink my pickup choice in my sunburst as it is a bit too bright and not complex enough in the overtones. My goldtop is as expected. I think it could pass a blindfold test.

I don't know about 'ruint' - sounds like you're just more 'informed' now? And you have two great '68's at hand - you're 'on velvet'!

What would be your new pickup choice for your Sunburst?

That Gladys is a really nice looking Lass.
    When you have the same guitar (or pedal, pickup, or amp) that your favorite player uses to play that music and make those sounds, you know that piece of equipment isn't part of the "problem", and you can either move on to blaming the next piece of gear or get down to playing and seeing if you can really do it.

Les Paul Forum Member SoloDallas's Avatar

It looks unbelievable. And I learnt a few more things about the Grail.

Very cool, congrats Wilko! I am sure it was really interesting to get to play one of the famous Bursts around here, and compare it to your '68s. Maybe you preferred your goldtop to the sunburst because of the original finish?

What a fucking nice guitar.

Les Paul Forum Member Red Rocket's Avatar

Great tone report. That guitar pic leaves a person speechless. F**ing amazing. You must be living right Joe.
    check out Sean Costello

You can't make life longer but you can make it wider.

Awesome

Musta been like sleeping with Katheryn Heigl !!!

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!

You are sooooooo lucky.

Joe you seem like a really nice guy!!

I've never played a burst or heard one in person oh well maybe one day..

ROCK ON man.

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Gladys thru a Bluesbreaker. Damn.

Yo, Eric, ditch the Strat and come to Jesus!
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

Quote Originally Posted by hoss View Post
    Great posts, great pics!

Man if I'd know I would have gone to Oberstdorf to meet Joe, Mingus and Florian (and to watch the Ski Flying World Cup).
    It's usually a great thing to be able to meet fellow LPF members and I wish we could have met you and some of the other members who live nearby.

I'm sorry you didn't get the chance to play this spectacular guitar too. However, I'm sure everyone can appreciate why Gladys' appearance in Bavaria was NOT publicly advertised on an internet forum prior to the event! There's just too much risk from those who may have nefarious motives to do it any other way.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy205 View Post

You are sooooooo lucky.

I've never played a burst or heard one in person oh well maybe one day..

ROCK ON man.
    i met Joe in Dana Point two weeks ago, he's that nice he paid for breakfast
    phil winfield
    maverick music

mingus, I totally understand that. Can I ask how you were flying Gladys over? Bought a business class seat for the guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by zorglub! View Post
    Maybe you preferred your goldtop to the sunburst because of the original finish?
    No, they are very different sounding/feeling guitars. The sunburst has a beefier neck (feels very 50s, maybe a hair fatter than Gladys) Goldtop has a neck a tad thinner than Gladys and is about the same weight. Much woodeir tone. The sunburst has a more focused clarity that could use a bit of fattening up with louder/warmer pickups. It has short Mag PAFs that are pretty bright already. I like the sound of it, I just may try something different to get it into the cool electric feedback mode like Gladys. Right now it really shines on the cleaner little grit styles.
    Ya know I hadn't really considered how well Gladys stacked up in the world of burst, just assuming she was near the top. If most bursts sound/feel better, then I prolly don't want to know.

Oh and the public thanks to Joe for being so gracious with his time. A big chunk of it was comparing my guitars to the one I went to see, then Gladys was a nice bonus of his time with no business involved.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

You gotta love a good Burst party!
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Oh, Thanks Joe for the kind words. BTW. My wife paid a lot of money to find jeans that look that cheap.

Les Paul Forum Member GeetarGoul's Avatar

That geet glows like a bar of gold! I can remember a forum jam back in 03' in L.A. where Wilko brought his two 68's and they were mighty fine indeed. I remember the bursted one being brighter and the goldtop one being warmer sounding. Good times.

Wilko-
    That is like losing your virginity to Jennifer Anniston or Biance'. I handled my first 59 and 60 LP standard at Rumbleseat and felt pressed to put them away- definitely not by the employees mind you- more of a fear of wetting myself. I really didn't get to do much in the way of appreciating I was so overwhelmed.
    How much "searching" was involved in finding your 68's? Did you have to play a ton or did you get lucky?
    Great story- atta boy Joe G. Good karma points for that one! Plus you got to hear a couple of great late 60's.
    Jim

Les Paul Forum Member Kossoff_Fan's Avatar

Gladys is off the charts. Such a beautiful burst. I'm sure she sounds as good as she looks!

Quote Originally Posted by hoss View Post
    mingus, I totally understand that. Can I ask how you were flying Gladys over? Bought a business class seat for the guitar?
    Joe and I flew over and back in Business Class on Lufthansa and hand-carried Gladys on board where she made the journey in the overhead compartment. The guitar was in a protector case (generation 1) which was inside a gig bag for an acoustic guitar. We had no issues at all with the airline regarding carrying the guitar on board.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

- Bill Watterson, creator of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes".

I think Gladys has the shiniest hardware on a burst that I've seen, especially that pickguard bolt. Do you keep a buffing wheel in the garage, Joe?

Les Paul Forum Member Sterling1's Avatar

It's always "funny" to me when a good player with a VERY good ear picks up Gladys, and hears/feels/senses things IMMEDIATELY. I say "funny" because I read SO much on this Forum from guys that have not/CAN not differentiate between things that have always been SO VERY CLEAR to me and others...Today's session reminded me of one of the sessions that *I* spent with C. Daughtry many years ago at HIS house - that was the first time that I "got it" - the overtones, the "note bloom", the secondary tone - whatEVER you want to refer to it as...

This is the kind of info that keeps me coming back here everyday. There is just no other place quite like this forum. Lots of knowledgeable and talented people sharing experiences like this is priceless!
    Someday, I hope to know what you guys know!
    Thank you!

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Joe...you need to bring that guitar by my house again. I've GOT to photograph it again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy205 View Post

You are sooooooo lucky.

Who, Joe Ganzler? Lucky, I wouldn't say that. Nice? Certainly not!!

Les Paul Forum Member Joe Ganzler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    Joe...you need to bring that guitar by my house again. I've GOT to photograph it again.....
    Better yet - how 'bout a LONG overdue visit to SoCal...?
    "If you're lucky enough to live at the beach, then you're lucky enough..."

I was just searching for some info and this thread came up.

Ya know, this visit was February 2nd, 2010. I was so shaken by the sound/feel (gotta be the headstock angle and better wood) that I sought out and had a 1956 to convert delivered on Feb 18th.

Feels VERY similar. I've added the long magnets from one of the '56 P90s to my short mag PAFs. Perfect candidate as bridge and tail posts are factory. No neck reset needed.

All Access/Backstage Pass Progrocker111's Avatar
    small country full of nice women and good beer

Im jealous, cause i dont have possibility to play Burst here in Europe.

But folks, why dont you have Zoom H2 recorder for example and dont record some clips in such situations?
    My diagnosis is: Hiwatt and Norlinphilia

2014 Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 Custom Shop
    1972 Hiwatt DR103, 1972 Hiwatt SE4122

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post

But folks, why dont you have Zoom H2 recorder for example and dont record some clips in such situations?
    With our arm chair clip critics ready to pounce, it would be a real masochist who was willing to undertake such an adventure.
    Thanks...but I think I'll just go pound my balls flat with a hammer....

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    With our arm chair clip critics ready to pounce, it would be a real masochist who was willing to undertake such an adventure.
    Thanks...but I think I'll just go pound my balls flat with a hammer....
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

After reading progrocker's question I swear I could feel THAT answer coming...!

Les Paul Forum Member porkchopwoody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    Im jealous, cause i dont have possibility to play Burst here in Europe.

I did that very thing at Tom's shop with the intentions of A,B comparisons between a couple of his Bursts and my R9. I borrowed my buddies Zoom a week before and spent hours getting familiar with it so I could post clips and have a good catalog of sounds for tone reference. Showed up, got dumbfounded, and completely for got I even had it with me. You have so much you're trying to take in, before you know it it's been 4hrs. and u gotta drive back home a couple hours.

Maybe next time, cause I'm sure some would really enjoy it.

P.S.
    It is such a privilege to have guys like Tom, Joe and others let guys like me really play these guitars. I still thank them very much.
    Last edited by porkchopwoody; 02-15-12 at 08:52 PM.
    It's the choices we make that define who we are.