NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 76 explorer

Re: 76 explorer

Hi BurstWurst, nope sorry. I don't remember any of my amps having this lettering on the back, and I've never had a FB V.

Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by keef View Post
    Must be a replacement guard. No '76s came with anything other than white single layer guards, unlike the originals that had laminated ones. Some of the later reissues (the '83 Korina run e.g., came with a black guard.

I never felt the need to upgrade the electronics of the '76 BTW - those tarbacks, whatever they are, sound GREAT in my guitar. Pots work fine, too.
    The tarbacks on my guitar sound really good, rolled back a little bit it sounds like The Edge's Explorer, I can almost get a Strat type tone in the middle position too. I'm just curious how a PAF type pickup with old parts will make the guitar sound....
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

Les Paul Forum Member muzikman7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by muzikman7 View Post
    6lbs. 8 oz.? Looks like 8lbs. 6oz. on the scale....
    fingerboard......

Wonder if he sells it for that price....

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasG View Post
    Wonder if he sells it for that price....

...seems way too high to me, maybe it will sell?
    fingerboard......

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Gibson View Post
    ...seems way too high to me, maybe it will sell?
    if someone offered me that kind of money, i wouldn't think long about selling mine...

OK - got some measurements. That big neck on my LE is actually not that big at all (maybe a 'full neck' would describe it better, although it certainly feels substantial):

1st fret 7th fret 12th fret
    0.843 / 0.943 / 1.000

My 03 R7, with a neck that I would describe as a hollowed out tree trunk:

0.981 (MAN!) / 1.044 / 1.065

Just maybe that whole limited edition '76 thing is crap (that is what I always thought at least...). LE does not indicate a certain type of finish, and likely neither a larger neck than on all non LE's. So the only thing that is 'limited' about the earlier run could be the decals...

Please guys, help me out here and post data on your 1976 Explorers, and maybe another myth gets busted.

BTW: aren't those $10 digital calipers fun - just don't measure your body parts though - you may be disappointed!
    Last edited by keef; 01-23-10 at 09:13 AM.

What kind of pick-ups did the original 76's have in it?

afaik most had those tar-backs. mine has normal stamped-number t-tops.

OK - got some measurements. That big neck on my LE is actually not that big at all (maybe a 'full neck' would describe it better, although it certainly feels substantial):

0.843 / 0.943 / 1.000

My 03 R7, with a neck that I would describe as a hollowed out tree trunk:

0.981 (MAN!) / 1.044 / 1.065

Just maybe that whole limited edition '76 thing is crap (that is what I always thought at least...). LE does not indicate a certain type of finish, and likely neither a larger neck than on all non LE's. So the only thing that is 'limited' about the earlier run could be the decals...

Please guys, help me out here and post data on your 1976 Explorers, and maybe another myth gets busted.

BTW: aren't those $10 digital calipers fun - just don't measure your body parts though - you may be disappointed!

I have a pair at work, I'll measure mine Monday.
    fingerboard......

I have a pair at work, I'll measure mine Monday.
    Great - now if Drybone and sglp63 with their non LE's could find some calipers too....?

If you look at the list of serial numbers, it seems fair to conclude that the NON limited edition '76 guitars are MUCH rarer than the '76 LE's.

I also expect that the necks on these instruments (aside from individual variations) will not differ between the LE's and non LE's. But right now that is just a wild guess. I would be happy if I am proved wrong.

Some more speculation - in view of the fiasco of the original Explorers, Gibson may have decided to present their first Explorer reissues to the public cautiously as a limited edition. In this way the company would 1) hopefully stir demand and 2) not lose face if the reissues would not be a success and discontinued quickly - since they were a limited edition to start with.

Maybe they started by printing a fixed number of LE decals, and when demand for the Explorers continued after these decals almost ran out, decided to continue shipping guitars out with the same specs, but with newly made non-LE decals. Sounds like a typical Gibson move...
    Last edited by keef; 01-28-10 at 12:39 PM.

Are there any records that indicate color options, number of units, wood options etc. for these guitars? To my knowlege, there were no 70's Explorers made of Korina. Is this true? I think I have seen Natural, White, Black and Wine Red. I don't remember seeing them in catalogs and I have the old 70s Norlin flyers that were given to dealers to pass around. Marauders, S1's, L6s' and LP Deluxes everywhere but no Explorers. Many years ago, a friend of mine had an LE in Natural. His neck profile was nearly identical to my non LE. I have no calipers to take a measurement.

This thread has sparked my interest in mine again. It will be getting some TLC very soon. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of gigging heavy guitars. This one probably stays at home. I have had it longer than anything else I own...
    Souly Noted - Classic Rock, Modern Rock and Original Music.

I'll post some numbers over the weekend.

Great - now if Drybone and sglp63 with their non LE's could find some calipers too....?

If you look at the list of serial numbers, it seems fair to conclude that the NON limited edition '76 guitars are MUCH rarer than the '76 LE's.

I also expect that the necks on these instruments (aside from individual variations) will not differ between the LE's and non LE's. But right now that is just a wild guess. I would be happy if I am proved wrong.

Some more speculation - in view of the fiasco of the original Explorers, Gibson may have decided to present their first Explorer reissues to the public cautiously as a limited edition. In this way the company would 1) hopefully stir demand and 2) not lose face if the reissues would not be a success and discontinued quickly - since they were a limited edition to start with.

Maybe they started by printing a fixed number of LE decals, and when demand for the Explorers continued after these decals almost ran out, decided to continue shipping guitars out with the same specs, but with newly made non-LE decals. Sounds like a typical Gibson move...

....I forgot, sorry! I'll write myself a not to remember to bring the calipers home tomorrow!
    fingerboard......

OK, I remembered to bring the calipers home. Now how do I measure the neck? Do I need to take the strings off and measure from the back of the neck to the center of the fretboard?
    fingerboard......

OK, I remembered to bring the calipers home. Now how do I measure the neck? Do I need to take the strings off and measure from the back of the neck to the center of the fretboard?
    Yup - I did not take the strings off though, but loosened the first three enough in order to pull them aside (I stuck them behind a 'higher' bridge saddle if that makes sense...).

Good luck!

Love the explaination that a 2nd is worth as much as a non 2nd - LOL that's tooooo funny !!!

There is no such thing as too much flame !!!

OK here's my LE neck measurements:

0.911 / 0.974 / 1.017

Keef, they are actually a little bigger then yours...
    Last edited by Luke Gibson; 02-03-10 at 10:42 PM.
    fingerboard......

OK here's my LE neck measurements:

0.911 / 0.974 / 1.017

Keef, they are actually a little bigger then yours...
    Yours is bigger than mine? Yea, right

Thanks! & we want more!

In case anyone is interested for comparision sakes, my 1981 Gibson Explorer neck measurements are:

0.812 / 0.935 / 1.000

Thanks Van, and welcome!

Calling Drybone, calling Drybone...

I know, spent yesterday shoveling 2+ feet of snow. I'll get the calipers out today and post my numbers.

Stupid me, it's the super bowl. I'll get to it Monday.
    Last edited by DRYBONE; 02-07-10 at 02:54 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member thunderkyss's Avatar

Great guitar guys, and great info in this thread.

Thank You.
    Oye Coma Va..... me ritmo!

mine is 21 mm thick on the first fret an 43,5 mm wide (1. fret)

Been meaning to post these measurements for my non-LE ’76 Explorer for a while:

1st fret: 0.805” (20.4mm)
    7th fret: 0.909” (23.1mm)
    12th fret: 1.005” (25.5mm)

That seems somewhat narrower than most at the first fret )no signs of the neck having been shaved down though). FWIW, the measurements are not far off those of my ’78 LP Custom (0.856”, 0.936” and 1.041” respectively).

As the pickups were replaced with early ’70s T-Tops by the previous owner, I can’t say which PUs were originally fitted (probably tarbacks?).

OK, I bought a cheap caliper and here are the numbers. My metric may not be up to date so help me out with the decimals.

1st fret--2cm deep, 4.3cm wide
    7th fret--2.4cm deep, 4.9 cm wide
    12th fret-- 2.5cm deep, 5.2 cm wide.

Someone do the coversions and let me know

1 inch is 25.4mm, so that would make the measurements 0.787", 0.945" and 0.984" respectively. BTW if you google metric conversion, you'll find automatic calculators.

'then she made me play games I didn't wanna play...'
    Fer fux sake! Duane's left and Dickey's right!

I added two serial nos of 1977 Explorers, but have no neck data on these. I also noticed two other '77s in natural finish.

Anyone ever seen a red or white 1976? The quest continues...

So is it safe to say that red was not a color option untill 1977? Is there any percieved added value to owning a 76 as opposed to 77? Does anyone make a vintage prewired electronics upgrade for explorers? So many questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Triplet View Post
    This guitar is identical to mine with the exception of the bl/r/bl guard I made to match the headstock...

Added three more '76 LE's - here's the summary to date (25 1976 Explorers listed):

18 Limited Editions, 7 non LE's; (so '76 non LE's are really rarer!)
    finishes: natural (16) or black (4) (rest unknown)
    neck size: medium/full to huge, but no apparent difference between LE's and non LE's.

So there's some myth debunking for ya.
    Last edited by keef; 11-18-10 at 12:19 PM.

I'll be at the Philly show this weekend, will let you know if I find anything.

What were the production years for the first reissues? 1976 and 1977 or were they produced longer?

Weren't there explorers made in the early 80s ad if so, were they considered
    1st gen reissues? Not the Explorer II...

The first reissues were at least made through 1979. The EII came in 1979. Around 1981 the 'regular' Explorer was again marketed (at least in white, natural and black finishes) - I guess it remained available for a couple of years, also after the upscale Korina versions were introduced in 1983. Then came a slew of 'hair band' models, and the '76 RI appeared around 1989, followed by the Historic in the early nineties.

The 1976-79 run is by all means not 'limited' as far as production figures go. The Gibson ledgers list more than 3,600 Explorers (not including the E2) in this period, and also mention two white ones in 1975, and 67 in 1976. So they must be out there.

Les Paul Forum Member muzikman7's Avatar

Thanks - I added that one!

Les Paul Forum Member buyusfear's Avatar

Explorer Re: 76 explorer

James Hetfield of Metallica made a Limited Edition '76 one of his go to axes for their 2003 era touring period.
    AKA "Rusty" because of it's brass oxidized pickgaurd, it is one of my favourite explorers. Love the satin finish, and lines of this guitar. Many people assumed the guitar to be a Gothic explorer; however, I learned that the guitar was sold to Hetfield, purchased by his tech, through Carlino guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8funDQxAGw

Take'er easy..............and if she's easy......just take'er!

mine is a 76 LE Sn/0023264x huge neck came with tar backs Ive owned it since 1980

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast