• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

76 explorer

bizzwriter

Has the market softened on the '76 LE's? $3,600 for this one in seemingly decent original condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1976-Gibson...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

$(KGrHqUOKpYFFzw26rkHBRhqHLbwTg~~60_57.JPG

BuzzHaze

What a fantastic thread this is. I've never seen so much data on the Explorers in one place...haha. I don't even think Gibson has as much organized info as you do here. Well done.

I've had my 76 LE since 77 and it's been my No1 player since then. Big sound to go with the big neck. I play a lot of slide so an Explorer was the only way to go!!.

I created a thread with pictures if anyone wants to see it.
http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187887

Keef...thanks for adding my serial no to the list. The last digit is a 4.

Don't ask about the yellow stuff...I have no idea what it is. I think the nitro is melting there or something. My thumbprint is embedded in whatever it is.

oojustmeoo

Just adding mine to the collective,

SN# 00232275 Ebony LE
1st .812
7th .954
12th 1.017

Last edited:

Anje

Glad to see this thread still alive!
Here's a free bump with my '76 LE still rocking hard:

DSC_0065_zpsce209046.jpg

homemikey

OK... I'm sure this thread is long dead, and I'm hopefully not making someone angry, but...

I'd really like to know about the 1976 non-LE Explorers in the Wine Red color, with the "K" stamped next to the serial number.
After letting go of my 1976 White Explorer (something I've never really gotten over...), I drifted along, looking for another to fill the void. The RIs didn't do it, neither did the E2 with the really nice maple top (great guitar BTW, but heavy, and didn't "feel" the same...). Finally, about 5 or 6 years ago, I happened upon the non-LE Wine Red 1976 in my local store! And that was that. It was all original with the 00-plus six digit serial number, and the "K" stamp.
The only thing I did was remove the pots (they were in the very dark 250 - 300K range), and replaced them with mid-60s Centrallab pots in the 500k range. It sounds WAY better, and I still have the old pots, just incase. Otherwise, the Pups are the tar backs, and it still has the original hardware, including the gold tuners that barely stay in tune. (I will provide pics if anyone requests them at some point, assuming this thread comes back alive...)

Ok, sorry for the trip down memory lane... Getting back to the point...

I'd really like to know how many of the Wine Red Explorers there are (if such a thing is knowable...), and WHAT DOES THAT STAMPED "K" MEAN!!! I see that the Wine Red is usually batched together with the Natural color when it comes to breaking out the different colors, but there HAS to be a difference—the "K" must mean something?!?!?!? . Keef lists two of these Wine Red Exploreres with the "K" in his list of serial numbers. Well, I have one, so that makes three!
What does it mean? Is anyone intrigued?
Please post accordingly, if you can—I appreciate any input, and thank you!

homemikey

Here is some conjecture – feel free to laugh it off.

The explorers with the stamped 627XXX and 967XXX serial numbers – mostly finished in white – were made in Kalamazoo in 1975 as a trial run for the ‘official’ 1976 run of limited edition explorers. Some of these early explorers have late 1975 pots, others late 1976 ones. This would indicate that these were actually completed and shipped out in small quantities during 1976 and 1977 (with only two apparently being shipped in 1975).

The 'K' stamped wine red explorers -K possibly standing for ‘Kalamazoo’ – could well be a batch or two made in the Parsons street factory, which mostly turned out special runs after Nashville took over most of the manufacturing duties. Maybe a store order. Gibson's records do not mention any red explorers.

I would assume that all ‘regular’ limited edition and non-limited edition 1976 explorers with the decal serial numbers were made in Nashville.

Now look at the marketplace for used guitars, and try finding an explorer with a 1977 serial number (starting with 06, or having the new 'current' numbering sequence), which I have been doing for a few years now. Those 1977's are VERY hard to find as compared to the explorers with a 1976 (00) serial number. And then look at the ‘official’ shipping totals for explorers in 1976 and 1977 (respectively 2006 and 1087). These do not correlate with the apparent rarity of the 1977 explorers vs those from 1976 - compare the numbers listed in post #3...that is far from 2:1, so not as one would expect.

What this would logically imply is that most of the explorers shipped by the factory in 1977 were actually made in 1976 – and in 1975. Not a biggie though.

Keef, Thank you for getting back so quickly with some great info. I suspected the "K" meant Kalamazoo, and that the Wine Red is some type of specific run for that color. Maybe someday there'll be more info unearthed about these Explorers...Great to hear from the resident Explorer expert on the matter, too.

At some point, I will leave some pics of the Wine Red '76 (and my long-gone White one) for posterity. Stand by...

Jignant

So a wine red non LE 77 with no "K" and a "06" prefix would be made in the Nashville factory and possibly made in 76?

Red appears to be a more rare color...

vWn6BzV.jpg

bg0CWlq.jpg

Last edited:

homemikey

Here's a closeup of the headstock. You can plainly see the "K" stamp, to the left of the serial number...

image post

If anyone else has one of these WIne Red '76 Explorers, let us know so we can further the knowledge!

Last edited:

oojustmeoo

You know I have been seeing some variations in the 76's that make me wonder..

1. Knobs: I have seen some pretty original looking ones with "Pointers", My single owner LE has had nothing done to it by the original owner and does not have pointers.
  2. Strap Buttons: Mine has 3, Top (std), behind the heel, and the butt.
Is this just an anomaly that happens when the guitars are being built?

abalonevintage

Those CHERRY RED Explorers you guys have are REALLY tripping my trigger.

As far as 70's Gibsons go, those are at the top of the food chain in my book.

Thanks for the photos! :salude

smitkis

Clearly not fitting the conventional wisdom of 1976 Explorer Limited Editions. I'm trying to figure this one out. I've posted this to another thread, but thought I'd see if this was still alive.

juniorjack

Hi , Here are some photos of my Gibson 1976 Explorer limited edition. I am asking if anybody knows if this guitar is made of Korina or Mahogany . I brought the guitar in London in 1978 and its serial number is 00230+++. It weighs 7 ibs 6.7ozs . The neck is quite wide compared to a Les Paul .

lanman

It's Mahogany.....but the bigger deal is if that is the original red finish. If it is, it's the only one for sure. I don't see how they could refinish it and keep that serial number intact. Anybody?

Atomicmod

Since we're discussing odd-colored 76s... Thought I'd mention my 76 LE that was originally Pelham Blue. Serial is 002323xx - it's already listed on page 1 of this thread. The guitar is currently at BCR music being restored - some buffoon stripped the majority of the Pelham off, but it is still in the cavities and is the original finish. The serial decal was scraped off of the guitar in one piece - Pelham under the serial.

Anje

Wow, an old 76 Explorer in Pelham Blue, that would be awesome