• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

SG wiring question

Reinhard

Hi guys
I am ready to upgrade the electronics in my historic SG. I know there is 50's wiring for LP's, but is there something similar for SG's? Should I just wire it the same way it is wired at the moment? Also, if you look at the cavity are the top two pots neck volume and neck tone from left to right?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Reinhard

Last edited:

Henk

I recently changed pickups and pots on my SG to low output AII PAF clones(unpotted Stormy Monday BKP's) and 500k audio tapers, the 50's wiring sounded better with these. Befor that it had classic '57s and 300/500k linear pots and with those the modern wiring sounded better IMO(still far from good though).

Reinhard

Thanks guys.
Anyone perhaps have a diagram, because the cavity looks different from the way my LP is wired.
I have some NOS russian paper in oil caps, super pots from RS, and some Duncan Phat Cats going into the SG. Can't wait to get them in :headbange

bigtomrodney

Thanks guys.
Anyone perhaps have a diagram, because the cavity looks different from the way my LP is wired.
I have some NOS russian paper in oil caps, super pots from RS, and some Duncan Phat Cats going into the SG. Can't wait to get them in :headbange
That all sounds sweet! I have RS Superpots and I'm a huge fan of the Russian caps. Basically on your volume pot you get one lug connected to the pickup, one to the switch and one is earthed to the casing. Generally you want the capacitor to connect to the lug that is going to the switch, so it is after the pot instead of bleeding tone before the volume pot.

In almost all cases that will be the middle lug. There's no change on the tone pots, some people reverse the earthed lug and the capacitor lug as that's what you'd generally see in vintage guitars but it makes no difference at all.

Here's what it generally goes like-
wiring50s.jpg

Cream Fan

For the record, both my '61 SG/LP and '64 "Clapton" SG are wired 50s style.