• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Learning

ArtG

Hi, I am new to the forum

I am a Fender guy, have a few collectable types of Strats. When I first bought a STrat, I didint know much about it, joined a forum and the learning curve went up quickly.

So, this time around.........I would like to buy my first Les Paul Standard, and I figured before I buy, I will educate myself a bit by joining the forum before buying.

First, am I in the correct section of the forum?

Second, how do I get started? what are the best years? What should I look for? What should I look out for to make sure the guitar is authentic? What are common defects? I have noticed people talking about solid bodys vs hollow bodies, etc.

I will not be looking for a collectors guitar (maybe) but I feel sure I would be buying a used guitar.

JJC

Hello Art,

I think the best place for general questions would be in the Sunburst Pub. Also, the search function on the forum works well if you've got a specific subject that you want to see previous discussions for. This will serve you well and help prevent you from posting a question or discussion that has been done ad nauseum - although most folks here on the forum are pretty tolerant. Welcome to the LPF!

Seoighs

Hi Art. :welcome

The 'tech area' generally relates to repair and mods to Les Paul guitars. The Sunburst Pub and Bay watch forums contain lively discussions of the merits of various models and production runs of Les Pauls. The general 'Rules of the road' are pretty much the same as your Mom taught you.

- If you don't know, ask.
- do more listening than speaking (I sometimes violate this)
- don't argue with fools. you can't win and they won't change
- be nice to strangers, but be wary as well
- make lots of friends and enjoy the ride

You have definitely come to the right place to learn about LP's.