• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VOS, scratched and scuffed?

Trans-Am

OK folks thanks for all the really great input.

Im keepin 'er. Cranked her up last night and decided I just cant let it go. After reading all the responses, I think the scuffs on the front AND back are just worn through VOS "gunk", and even if delivered pristine, probably would be a matter of days before i added my own.

The headstock scratch, though- looks like a "real scratch". And Im just going to put up with that. The guitar is otherwise perfect and sounds/plays amazing, so thats just gonna be the way it is.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday (Saul), and when I told him I was considering sending it back, he sounded disappointed of course- but didnt argue. He just said "you need to be happy at the end of the day". I can tell you this is NOT the response I expected, and it immediately put me at ease.

Thanks guys!

Nice of Saul!! Just make sure you sleep on it before sending it back. All those scuff marks and what not could be a non-issue after you get a newer one but turns out to be a dud. Lotsa disappointment at the end of the day knowing that the previous was the one instead and had just gotten sold.
Maybe ask for a little discount or something in effect. Down the road you would've probably given it a more real scratch or so. Unless your planning to baby the thing. Your call. I'd a&b it first with the other replacement if i were you.

Cheers and Good Luck!!

Peace!:peace2

Boogie Bill

I prefer the factory gloss finish on my R8, but I've bought a pair of the VOS tobaccoburst G0 models from Guitar Center over the last two years.

I opted for the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish treatment to remove the VOS gunk. I left the Cleaner on for 30 minutes, and then applied a second coat; and then followed those with a couple of applications of polish.

One: I think the guitars look better post-Virtuoso. Two: No more neck stickiness. (Guess what I did to my R8 and my 335! Yea!!!) Three: I think it changed the tone. I think it hardened the finish, and made them subtlely brighter.

For me, the Virtuoso treatment was perfect. You can be sure that if I pickup another VOS intrument, it will get Virtuoso.

Bill

BBking87

Hello, everyone

I just bought new Gibson Custom Historic 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS. I spotted some scratches on the headstock. I would like to ask if anyone have seen something like that before? Is this part of Vintage finish?

Cheers,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 40

J.D.

Hello, everyone

I just bought new Gibson Custom Historic 1959 Les Paul Standard VOS. I spotted some scratches on the headstock. I would like to ask if anyone have seen something like that before? Is this part of Vintage finish?

Cheers,

That's normal. Looks like red polishing rouge. There's always a bit of finish non-uniformity in that area where the nut meets the headstock face veneer.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

If it was mine I wouldn't be too concerned, if I bought it from a reputable store that I knew I would like to think I could 99% sure it wasn't pre-owned (unless they had advertised it as such). I guess it would only bother me if I was buying a new guitar as an investment/under-the-bed purchase.

Like others have said, if it's irking you too much I'm sure they'd polish out really easily.

BBking87

Mini Forklift Ⓥ;2812798 said:
If it was mine I wouldn't be too concerned, if I bought it from a reputable store that I knew I would like to think I could 99% sure it wasn't pre-owned (unless they had advertised it as such). I guess it would only bother me if I was buying a new guitar as an investment/under-the-bed purchase.

Like others have said, if it's irking you too much I'm sure they'd polish out really easily.

Thank you so much for your respond :)! Yes indeed it was red polishing rouge leftovers :).

Bruce R

I prefer the factory gloss finish on my R8, but I've bought a pair of the VOS tobaccoburst G0 models from Guitar Center over the last two years.

I opted for the Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish treatment to remove the VOS gunk. I left the Cleaner on for 30 minutes, and then applied a second coat; and then followed those with a couple of applications of polish.

One: I think the guitars look better post-Virtuoso. Two: No more neck stickiness. (Guess what I did to my R8 and my 335! Yea!!!) Three: I think it changed the tone. I think it hardened the finish, and made them subtlely brighter.

For me, the Virtuoso treatment was perfect. You can be sure that if I pickup another VOS intrument, it will get Virtuoso.

Bill

Amen, Bill, on the Virtuoso cleaner & polish!!

I tried it for the first time the other day and am just blown away on how good it worked. My '06 R8 would never really polish or clean up, especially considering the gigs I've done outside in the sun over the years. I used the cleaner as you recommended, then did the same for the polish. It looks better and shinier than it did when I first got it, which says a lot!!

I've had my '69 Custom since '81 and have never done a thing to actually clean it. I've used Martin polish, which works quite well in keeping away fingerprints and smudges, but am looking forward to giving it the Virtuoso 2-step treatment. Thanks for the tip on this product!