• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Educate me about Marshall grill cloth

David.247

Those are basketweave.

Marshall used basketweave from early 1968 through to April 1971. The pinstripe was earlier - mid 1965 to early 1968.

What you have to remember is the basketweave material was black and white originally, so it looks grey in old photos and film footage. That's how it looked originally. It only goes brown with age.

Here is a piece removed from a cab. Notice how the edges and under the logo are still black and white where it hasn't been exposed to the elements:

tENXWc3.jpg
so modern Marshall grill cloth looks brownish is that because they use black and cream as opposed black and white?

David.247

Yes, its just for a slightly aged appearance.

Some retailers do sell the white and black weave. There is also a brown and black if you want a really aged look.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/T...wn-Black-White-70-x-100-cm-B-STOCK::7852.html

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/T...Tube-Town-Black-Brown-150-x-100-cm::8275.html

No I really like the silver look. I bought some of the Eric Collins cloth a while ago but now it looks like i'll have to get black/white basket weave for when i finally get a Marshall half stack.Any body want to buy some EC cloth ? lol

mistersnappy

Those are basketweave.

Here is a piece removed from a cab. Notice how the edges and under the logo are still black and white where it hasn't been exposed to the elements:

tENXWc3.jpg

Bingo. Looks exactly like my 1970 cab right down to the faded area where the Marshall logo used to be and the outline of the wooden crosspiece.

David.247

Bingo. Looks exactly like my 1970 cab right down to the faded area where the Marshall logo used to be and the outline of the wooden crosspiece.
Can you take a picture up close please of the original colour, looks more grey and white than black and white?

Bruce R

Great thread!! I am loving it!

Here's a photo of the piece of grillcloth I "borrowed" from one of Jimi's cabinets in '68 in Santa Barbara, CA.

eiSXCC3.jpg

Here's my 1965A cab from '84 (so I was told). This is from the dye lot batch that faded from black to brown.

hmcqpV3.jpg

agogetr

This will be a "ROUGH" timeline as you requested. I haven't checked my Marshall book and just going by what I recall from the ones I've owned over the years. Pinstripe repaced the white cloth around 65/66, basketweave around '67, large checkerboard around 71/72 and the smaller checkerboard also appears sometime around 74, black around 79/80?. I could be off a year or so on some, this is strictly from past associations. i've never taken the time to sort out the exact years. There are some that are FINALLY making and selling very accurate pinstripe cloth now. Much better than the crap marshall has been using for their vintage reissue 'pinstripe' cabs.
i have some 120 watt 1974/5 ish cabs with the black cloth. i call it the flat black cloth. those cabs flat rock, its all there with those. my plexi greenback cabs have better highs but man the crunch on those blackcloth cabs!!!

'i know just enough to be a danger to myself'

Gridlock

I would like to replace the grill cloth (small checkered) on my 1979 Marshall JMP 2104. Could not find similar cloth online.

New here and still have not figured out how to post photos.

Trovador

I would like to replace the grill cloth (small checkered) on my 1979 Marshall JMP 2104. Could not find similar cloth online.

New here and still have not figured out how to post photos.

I haven't seen that kind either. You could ask at the Marshall Forum. Maybe someone in there has been able to locate a replacement.