• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

64 Vibroverb Custom

Wire and wood

Okay so here's the deal, I have a chance to buy one of these VV reissue amps with the Diaz mods and whatever. The amp is priced right at that point where it's too cheap to not buy it but still expensive enough to know it's a foolish buy for me. I haven't played out in years and currently I'm not even really garage jamming with anyone but it isn't as though I've taken some sort of religious vow to never do any of those things again.
I'm a big SRV fan and I do have plenty of Strats so obviously the "marketing" part of this amp is giving me GAS. Since I generally always play my LP, I am trying to be realistic about this amp and not give in to guitar hero marketing. As much as I love Stevie, I cannot play like him and I don't really try to anyway. I think I have even matured enough that the person I most want to sound like is me. Or at least me trying to sound like someone else. The LP players I most admire are the usual guys; Page, Betts, Rossington and so on.
Sadly the amp is not close enough for me to try out first and the guy selling it is someone I know but he is very much into the SRV thing so he can't really be objective about it.
Now after all of that, how about some pros and cons from some of you? Good Lester amp, bad? Good Led Zep amp? Good Skynyrd, ABB just general versatility stylisitcally? What if I never play outside the home again? What if I do?

mt1782

I wish I could give you a better answer, I own one but haven't spent much time with it and a LP. It does a great big fender clean. The stock 15 sounds pretty good and cuts pretty good. No master volume so if you want any breakup out of the amp, Diaz mods or not, the volume is way past normal, for me anyway, home levels.
Maybe I'll drag it out and think more about the other questions.. :salude

rufes

Formerly dmartinez
It's the kind of thing I would do despite the fact that I shouldn't.

It's clear you don't need it but what the hell.....

gmann

I had one for several yrs. I liked it alot. I've got several really nice amps and I sold it to a guy who just kept pesterin' me for it. Probably should have kept it. It sounded great with any guitar I played thru it esp. Fenders but really just as good with Gibsons. The Gibsons I played thru it were my '56 TV Model and my '64 335. I didn't use any of the Diaz mods really but they were cool and did make a difference. I did use the switch that cut in the SS rectifier. I just thought it sounded better, to me anyway. Not a big difference but the amp sounded a little tighter overall. I did have a Weber 15F150 in it which is the C15N equivalent. I did sound fine with the stock speaker. As a matter of fact the guy that bought it asked me to put the orig. spkr back in as he had heard the amp before the spkr switch and preferred that. Great amp and point to point wired. One of the few RI amps Fender got right IMO.

Avigail

Hello there,
‘would you still have your 64 vibroverb custom and be willing to part with it? I’ve been searching the globe looking for one. ;) let me know! Thanks so much!

_—————-

I wish I could give you a better answer, I own one but haven't spent much time with it and a LP. It does a great big fender clean. The stock 15 sounds pretty good and cuts pretty good. No master volume so if you want any breakup out of the amp, Diaz mods or not, the volume is way past normal, for me anyway, home levels.
Maybe I'll drag it out and think more about the other questions.. :salude