• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anatomy of a Firebird Pickup

andreja marovic

To see the recent FB pu's will be a good idea.
We are talking vintage but a look at the new Gibson FB pu's, they have been making them for long time.I am sure some changes have been made since early 80's to this day.
Someone have said that a recent FBI had a pu that sounded close to BB's in a LP....it will be intereseting to get soundclips as well as pictures.

andreja marovic

Hi there,

Do you think this is an original '65 Firebird (neck) pickup? (I think it is...) These pickups sit in my '99 Firebird VII, so I have three of them (all look identical). The neck one reads 6.2 (normal) and the bridge pickup reads a very unusual high 8.4 ! The bridge really bites!

DSC_0784-2.jpg

DSC_0785-1.jpg

Hey Dutchie,
if you have this pu's in a 99 FBVII you got a great deal having this guitar.
They sure look identical to the real deal.Someone have replaced the 99 stock ones with real vintage FB pu's.:3zone
You are a lucky man.:dude:

58dutchie

Hey Dutchie,
if you have this pu's in a 99 FBVII you got a great deal having this guitar.
They sure look identical to the real deal.Someone have replaced the 99 stock ones with real vintage FB pu's.:3zone
You are a lucky man.:dude:

Thanks, I certainly am, they absolutely sound AMAZING!!! :salude

Jason Lollar

someone has taken those apart before that wasnt very good at putting them back together, you can tell by how the covers are splayed in the middle and the way the solder didnt flow properly. Its quite possible the 8+K was rewound with 43 gauge wire, you could never get that much 42 gauge on the standard bobbins which is what they used back then

dewey decibel

First off, I just want to say thank you for all the great info!

And now the question; was this pickup potted (and original Firebird pickups in general)? I was under the impression Gibson didn't pot pickups, just checking...

j45

...And now the question; was this pickup potted (and original Firebird pickups in general)? I was under the impression Gibson didn't pot pickups, just checking...

I've taken apart a few myself and have not noticed any evidence of vintage Firebird pickups being potted.

pablomago

This is a great thread! I've often wondered what gave a Firebird it's unique tone. What after-market makers are making accurate repro FB pickups? It appears that Jason is...

talpa

I have some custom built Lollar relic aged FBs for my JW Sig...I ended up using it in the neck slot only, as I like the bite of the Gibson bridge, yeah it's way overwound to vintage (like the Lollar - great pickup iow). I will have Jason rewind the bridge a bit hotter before reinstalling it.

am hoping one day Jon at Throbak will dig into the FB pickup archetecture...but given the FB mkt. vs. LP mkt. probably won't happen.

tooold

Did anybody save barbarossa's photos? They're not coming up any more... arrgh.

EDIT: Turns out I did. Here they are... barbarossa, let me know if there's a problem with my posting these...

378024016_zps38c46d53.jpg

378024020_zps4ae16377.jpg

378024019_zps58c9766e.jpg

378024017_zpsa7eac32a.jpg

378024018_zps2760017d.jpg

Old crow

What do you make of this ? wood spacers, extra hole on opposite corner for lead wire, but no pat # stamp////maybe the sticker never got put on ??
Reads 5.85 k.

IMG_3193_zps73022c0f.jpg

Kris Ford

Funny, I took apart the black plastic minbucker from my 1971 SGI, and the construction was almost exact....but the coils were pink...

Cliff Gress

I have been looking at used CS Firebird 1. I know that their magnet configuration was different than the standard mini-humbucker, i.e. rails, and have heard comparisons of standard MHs vs regular humbuckers founding the MH brighter. I cannot find a Firebird MH vs a standard MH. Could anyone offer an opinion?

The new Clapton Firebird 1 has an alnico 5.

Thanks

somebodyelseuk

I have been looking at used CS Firebird 1. I know that their magnet configuration was different than the standard mini-humbucker, i.e. rails, and have heard comparisons of standard MHs vs regular humbuckers founding the MH brighter. I cannot find a Firebird MH vs a standard MH. Could anyone offer an opinion?

The new Clapton Firebird 1 has an alnico 5.

Thanks
First, youtube, search Bernie Marsden, look for Andertons Captain meets... There are three with BM. I think the 2019 one about his book is the one where he demos a couple of Firebird 1s.
FWIW, they sound... how the bridge pickup on a Strat should sound. Regular minibuckers just sound like thin PAFs. Firebirds sound like fat Strats, but without being harsh or muddy... Hard to describe, but IMO much,better than minibuckers.
I'm not sure modern Firebird pickups are made like the originals, though. Yyou might have more luck with Seymour's versions.

Big Al

The Deluxe style minihum on average are louder and more powerful sounding than classic FB minihum. Deluxe type sound like humbuckers, fat, full, powerful, smooth with lots of clarity, thin is not an apt description. More balanced and focused with slightly less power of full size humbucker.

Firebird mini's are articulate and clear. Very much like a smooth Strat. Thin in comparison to Deluxe mini, brighter and snappier with less power. Bridge pup can sound weak and thin by itself, center pos and neck positions can be just magical. They have clarity, definition and more punch and power than a Strat and sing more.

dna9656

Hi there. There seems to be somewhat of a lack of knowledge of how a vintage Gibson Firebird is constructed. Today I got a chance to take apart a vintage '63 Firebird III pickup to repair a problem with a dead coil due to a faulty coil lead. The good news is that I was able to fix the pickup without having to rewind it. The better news is I have pictures to dispel all myths regarding the makeup of these things. They are not at all like a '70s mini humbucker. What they basically are, design wise, is two shrunken Melody Maker pickups wired as a humbucker.

First, the whole thing is held together by the cover and base plate, and a bit of glue.

Under the base plate are a couple of thin maple shims:

378024016.jpg

The dual coils are simply sitting inside the tight fitting cover. Under the wooden shims is a thin, ferrous metal plate:

378024020.jpg

Under that are two coils made up of thin, flimsy, translucent plastic bobbin formers. Inside each bobbin is a bar magnet. Picture a regular humbucker magnet cut in half horizontally. One coil has the North facing up, South on the other. The ferrous plate mentioned before is simply held in place by those magnets and is magnetically coupling them:

378024019.jpg

The coils themselves are wound with the typical, purplish/maroon Formvar wire as found on period or earlier humbuckers and P-90s. Each coil measures around 3.2k and they are connected in series like a PAF.

378024017.jpg

On the other side of the bobbins, the one facing the cover, there is another small strip of ferrous metal glued across the magnet bars. Again, apparently, to magnetically couple the two coils. On top of that there's simple transparent adhesive tape to insulate the magnets from electrical contact with the cover:

378024018.jpg

In a regular PAF style humbucker the magnet is in direct touch with the base plate, cover, and pole pieces. Obviously, the FB pickup's designer took efforts to avoid this. The wood spacers on the bottom and insulating tape on top of the bobbins ensure that the magnets have no contact to electrical ground. I'm no pickup designer and I'm not sure why this matters, but here it is.

b
New member here... where are the pics?! I'm taking delivery on a Epiphone 63 re-issue this Thursday and would love to know what they are SUPPOSED to look like!