• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Are these Real Grover PAT PEND?

nats

I came across a set of Grovers from a 70's Les Paul. They say PAT PEND USA but have a few quirks:

1) 1 of the 6 tuners says PAT PEND USA upside down
2) Rough mold marks on side and surface of "bubble" is rough not smooth
3) Very bright and shiny

Not sure if these are chrome or nickel, or if they're even real. Could someone please shed some light on these tuners? Your help is greatly appreciated!

DSC06929.jpg

DSC06932.jpg

DSC06926.jpg

DSC06927.jpg

DSC06928.jpg

Kap'n

Are people knocking these off?

I'm pretty sure that's a press-on cap, so it can be rotated.

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
That's a real Grover. I've had a bunch of them and they seem to have done more than a few small changes over the years. Dr Vintage may have a write up his site about them come to think of it.

nats

That's a real Grover. I've had a bunch of them and they seem to have done more than a few small changes over the years. Dr Vintage may have a write up his site about them come to think of it.

Thanks, Mark. Dr. Vintage's site is very informative! These tuners do appear to be very similar to the ones he describes in his PAT PEND USA category. I am interested to know if mine are among the earliest grovers or approximately what year these are from. Also wanted an opinion on if these are nickel or chrome (very shiney). I prefer the patina look and I'm not sure if these are ever going to get there?

CLICK HERE TO SEE DR. VINTAGE'S GROVER ARTICLE

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
If those have been on a guitar for a long time and are still shiny I'd guess they're chrome or at least not nickle. In my experience nickle grover tarnish pretty quick. I don't think the ones with the black cap are the earliest. The earlier ones have the smaller beveled washer too.

nats

Paging Dr. Vintage!!! Would the good doctor like to weigh in? :)

Joe Ganzler

From the photos, they APPEAR to be chrome; small vs. large washer would be a determinant on whether they're '50's/early '60's (small washer) vs. later (large washer)...

nats

From the photos, they APPEAR to be chrome; small vs. large washer would be a determinant on whether they're '50's/early '60's (small washer) vs. later (large washer)...

Thanks, Joe. The outside diamter of the washer is 5/8" and the inside diameter is 5/16". Here's a better photo:

DSC_0031.jpg

Early 60's maybe?