• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

$30K eBay 52 / burstacious

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I was not aware (until today) that putting binding on the FB was a tone-robbing abomination...Thank god there are still a few original 52s left without this horrible binding, so that people can still hear the true Song of the Unbound!

Neck binding=the Devil's Corset! :spabout

JIMI55LP

Someone posted photos of a 1952 GT here a few months back without neck binding asking for measurements from an early unbound model to determine for a restoration if his was really an early model or later with the binding removed. I sent the measurements from my unbound to determine, and it turned out his did have the binding removed??? Man the things people do when left alone, can you imagine doing that? The early unbounds would be a tuff conversion since the neck binding would be a hurdle and the rear control cavity on most are rectangular instead of clover shaped, not to mention the bridge pup route is different if it has the diaginal mount P90, if your conversion is keeping it in P90's. The Gibson logo would take some doing if your not converting it to a bound 52' model, since it's 1951 styled.

sn4-3064

Nobody owns an unbound '52 because it's the best guitar ever made (even though you might have felt different in 1952). The importance is that's it's Gibson's first solid body, period. They've made a trillion Les Pauls since, but the unbounds are undeniably, historically, in a class of their own.

It's like owning the first Ford Model T off the line, and listening to folks complain it doesn't handle like a what - a Taurus? So what? It is what it is. (I was going to say Pinto, but I'm sure folks here what take *that* the wrong way....)

Personally, as an owner of an unbound '52, I'd love to see the rest of them out there get tossed in the wood chipper, as so many here would seem happy to do. Then maybe mine will command a little more respect.

cheers,

steve

Cheers,

steve