• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is a Les Paul ever the same after a neck repair?

soulpower

I'm looking a 2004 Standard in Desert Burrst. Dead Mint except it fell off it's stand and there was a break at the headstock. Now this guitar is being sold at a very reputable dealer and all repairs were professionally done.
I'll save almost a grand.
Whats the general word on these repairs if done right and how do they effect the guitar?
Going to look at it tomorrow.
Thanks

Rev.WillieVK

Many times, it's even better (repair is stronger than the surrounding wood).

Play it and see if it speaks to you. :salude

27sauce

Dont let a headstock break/repair scare you off, good chance to get a great deal.

+1 to Rev's comment

GlassSnuff

Headstock repairs affect the value because there's a chance it wasn't done well, or does have a negative effect.

But, if you search the forum, you won't find many reports of negatives....

So I'll pile on with the Rev and the Sauce and urge you to give a it try.

(FWIW, our repair guy has a Gibson long-necked banjo with three breaks! Granted, for him it's a DIY fix, but he's a fussy kinda guy and certainly would have replaced the instrument if there were any problems.)

Shidoin

A couple of years ago, I broke the headstock on my LP. I have had this guitar for over 30 years. After the repair, I can say there is no difference in the way it sounds/plays.

soulpower

Thanks everyone! The tech told me pretty much the same as what you have all said. Just wanted other opinions. He also told me that the repair is usually stronger which is being confirmed here.
I'm going to check it out tomorrow, I'll let you know.

BobV

Leave the original-condition guitars for the collectors and go buy yourself one that's been properly repaired. But promise you'll play the crap out of it and show us pictures.

soulpower

Ok got it home and played it acoustically for a while, the place I deal with I've been going there for over 20 years. They set it up for me, it plays perfect. Cranked it up thru my Marshall Jubilee half stack, and it rocks!!! Guitar has the original pickups it's an 04. The break wasn't completely thru the headstcok and is at the back. The repair is rock solid, if anything it could be touched up cosmetically. They told me that they have a guy that does all that stuff for them do it and you wouldn't even be able to tell. But that would have driven the price up.
The guitar feels and plays just as good as my other standard.
Love the Desert Burst.
I'll post pics up of my growing family of Lesters soon!
Thanks again guys, I may not of even considered this guitar if I hadn't have come here first!!!!!!!!!!

soulpower

Also the guy who had it before me is a regular customer. His cat knocked it off the stand! He got in to the VOS stuff so he trade this one in! They also assured me that if I had any problems that they would fix/repair. I did get nervous when the tech was demonstrating how strong the repair was by tugging and pushing on it. Then demonstrating had it never even went out of tune!!

GlassSnuff

Congrats on your latest acquisition! :salude

Three piece necks DO have their advantages.

Yes, the refinish can cost as much as the repair. But then, you'd just have another nice guitar to worry about. :2cool

Guitar Whiskey

Congrats on the new purchase. As a point of interest; Page's No. 1 has a broken/repaired headstock. I've never heard him or anyone else complain about it.....

DEI305

Bottom line is if the guitar plays right, stays in tune, feels right and you dig it..get it. My avatar is a 93 LP 3 piece curly maple top..with head stock repair..fabulous guitar!
Rick

drolaw

If you guys don't mind me asking what is a normal price for a head stock repair? I just read a lot of scary comments on Ed Roman's site about how LP necks are horrible and will break at some point.

I couldn't stand being without my LP as it's my tone! I may want to save for a rainy day :(.

Are the necks really that bad?

Cream Fan

Ed Roman is a real piece of work and anything that emanates from him should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

David124AA

Ed Roman is a real piece of work and anything that emanates from him should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Yeah, if you're going to visit that site, it's worth having one of these on hand....

Salt_Licking_Block_Licks_Mineral_Block.jpg

Drawrein

If you guys don't mind me asking what is a normal price for a head stock repair? I just read a lot of scary comments on Ed Roman's site about how LP necks are horrible and will break at some point.

I couldn't stand being without my LP as it's my tone! I may want to save for a rainy day :(.

Are the necks really that bad?

My 10yr old son was playing rock star w mine by hanging it by the strap while he walked around.......you guessed it........strap popped loose and it bounced twice on the tile floor. A shard came off of the back of the headstock but no neck crack! These arent all that fragile.

BTW SRV's #1 strat had a repaired neck.