• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Speedking

GreenBurst

Ok, here's a long shot.

21 or 23 years ago I recall seeing a Gibson catalog, the type that the store keeps behind the counter (ie doesn't hand out copies). Each page had a guitar with some verbiage. In it was a page on the Les Paul Speedking. The example was black with one pick-up and a Floyd Rose tremolo. I think it had Custom appointments. The catalog was a small book about 8 inches by 3.5 to 4 inches and about 3/8 inch thick.

Never heard or saw a thing since. It looked cool from a late 80s perspective.

It would be interesting to see what would surface in the internet age. Anyone have a catalog collection to check?

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
It would be interesting to see what would surface in the internet age. Anyone have a catalog collection to check?

Apparently this thread is what surfaces "in the internet age".
Google search reveals this thread #1.

I saw nothing about a Gibson guitar by that name. :hmm

GreenBurst

Yup TW, that's the same thing I got when I googled it. My point on the internet is that maybe someone has come accross i) an actual guitar (proto?) with those appointments but didn't see the term speedking, or ii) literature (catalog, press release) discussing/showing it.

I do not recall seeing the term Speedking on the actual guitar. Definitely on the page in bold letters though. Could have been on the TRC and subsequently removed by a (puzzled) owner. I doubt Gibson would officially comment on it (not being an offical model). But, if someone knows someone and can inquire...!

I'm confident none of these made it into production. As I've never heard anything about it ever again. But, I definitely did see the pic and the term.

It could have been a failed at attempt at jumping in on the 80s super strat craze but pulling back just as Appetite For Destruction started it's ascent up the charts bringing the LP up with it (at least in the eyes of the under 20 crowd).

Last edited:

audiocheck

GreenBurst,

Was it a single cut or double cutaway? Are you sure it was a Floyd Rose or maybe a Kahlar Wammy?

Steve

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
It must have been the U2 or SR71

Gibson%20U2.jpg

GreenBurst

GreenBurst,

Was it a single cut or double cutaway? Are you sure it was a Floyd Rose or maybe a Kahlar Wammy?

Steve

Definitely an LP custom style with only a bridge pick-up. But the whammy could have been a Kahler. I know Gibson had their version of it at that time.

GreenBurst

It must have been the U2 or SR71

NO, definitely not one of those. I've seen many of them over the years, as rare as they may be. This was totally different. I figure someone here may have some type of info on it. Worth a try at the very least.

GreenBurst

What the hell, thought I'd try seeing if this yields anything 3 years later.

Bump for good luck...

J T

Your quest continues gallant Sir Knight!

No I have not heard of that one. Must have been a prototype catalog listing to get dealers to generate orders.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

abalonevintage

Must be this...I think you may have a few wires crossed. ALTHOUGH, I would love it if they did make that!!!!!!!

Scan0005.jpg

Spirit XLP is the only other consideration I can think of.

prb8zspu94jcgtkk3rcj.jpg

Or...Studio Lite or Pro Junior...

Les_Paul_Junior_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Big Al

It was a midi digital controller. Saddle transducers. I do not remember the speedking name maybe PHOTON or PROTON?

GreenBurst

Link doesn't work ... requires a password to see the page.

Yes. I was referring to the pic on page 116 and whether anyone had a catalog to see the detailed verbiage. The pic is similar to what I saw. I don't expect it to be a model offered as I've never heard of it or seen one since. Plus no one here did either. Was probably just something in the catalog. This was around 1988, so it makes sense they were more willing to experiment since sales were down due to the popularity of super starts and GNR still hadn't risen to fame.

GreenBurst

Must be this...I think you may have a few wires crossed. ALTHOUGH, I would love it if they did make that!!!!!!!

Scan0005.jpg

Spirit XLP is the only other consideration I can think of.

prb8zspu94jcgtkk3rcj.jpg

Or...Studio Lite or Pro Junior...

Les_Paul_Junior_Pro.jpg

Yes similar, but it was a single (coverless) pickup at the bridge in standard custom livery (i.e. white multi binding with no aging). The photo I remember was only 3/4 of the body and some of the neck. But it was definitely Custom livery and one pickup with either a Floyd or Kahler.

Was not a M3, U2, Spirit, etc. I've never seen or heard of the Jr. Pro before (thanks).

No wires crossed. Still sharp as whistle. : )

I guess one could order this now as Gibson seems to be open to custom orders now.

ultra

It was a midi digital controller. Saddle transducers. I do not remember the speedking name maybe PHOTON or PROTON?

I have that brochure and it definitely was a midi controller called a Photon. It had a Kahler trem from memory

Big Al

The thing I remember is a Les Paul w/only a bridge, Kahler? No controls and midi jack.