• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

LP Studio w/P90s ...thoughts, please!

Edward

Oh man, JohnnyK and JeffC...Thanks for the pics! Gorgeous guitar, bro!!! Now I really can't wait for my amythist! And yes, it really pops with cream P90s/PG and the gold hardware/knobs against the dark purple (from the pics of mine as per the prev owner). I'll certainly post when I get her. Turning out to be a Gem fest! :D

Edward

Last edited:

Schtang

Edward -
Here's a shot of my '97 Amethyst Gem. I received it w/Peter Florance voodoos, and have decided to change back to cream covers and add the pickguard. I think it will accentuate the finish color even more.
GEM2.jpg

yeah get that back to the original look (cream and pickguard). The black P-90s look awful (it takes away from the contrast of light and dark).

gem-guitar.jpg

GEM.jpg

AdGibsonJB.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyK

Ok, here's the before pic again, and a follow-up pic (crappy shot but you get the idea) after I changed back to original cream components. I prefer the LP as it is now.

GEM2.jpg

StudioGem004-1.jpg

jeffc

Ok, here's the before pic again, and a follow-up pic (crappy shot but you get the idea) after I changed back to original cream components. I prefer the LP as it is now.

GEM2.jpg

StudioGem004-1.jpg

It does look really good :jim

vintageguitarz

My 1996 Les Paul Special DC

LesPaulSpecial.jpg

While you may have bought your 1960 Les Paul Special Double Cutaway (2nd Reissue) in 1996, that was a 1995 model. See the Wikipedia document on that 2nd Reissue, only MADE from 1993 to 1995. They did not sell well and hundreds lingered in stores (mostly Guitar Centers) well into late 1996.

Here's mine, I bought it at a Guitar Center while still working for Fender in Corona, CA. Mine is "Ivory Black. I also have a "original" Les Paul Junior ... a rare Gibson's Sales rep's "custom" that he had Gold hardware put on it at the factory - a 1958-1/2 Les Paul Junior.

1960 Les Paul Special Double Cutaway (2nd Reissue) black 1995 sn 90156454 only made 93-95.jpg 1982 Les Paul Std Black 1958 Les Paul Jr sales demo.jpg

Big Al

Really? 11 years later you pop in with a wikiwacky correction? Whew! Thought we'd never get that one cleared up.

namanjohnson101

I was rather taken with the Studio Gem when it appeared in the uk about 12 years ago (It didn't last very long did it ?). I can only think of 2 reasons not to buy one and you may consider them both to be trivial. First of all the paint is sort of semi-metallic, almost sparkle, which I was not thrilled about. For me the Sapphire Blue was the best colour/color. mobdro

Regards,
tubemate

Last edited:

Big Al

I was rather taken with the Studio Gem when it appeared in the uk about 12 years ago (It didn't last very long did it ?). I can only think of 2 reasons not to buy one and you may consider them both to be trivial. First of all the paint is sort of semi-metallic, almost sparkle, which I was not thrilled about. For me the Sapphire Blue was the best colour/color.

That's one reason, and did you read the thread????

I think they were fabulous guitars, by any measure and have remained favourites for good reason. I've handled dozens and don't recall any metallic finished transparent ones. The metallic effect on the solid colors was fine, like a goldtop, hardly offputting and rather elegant compared to a plain solid color. I heared no complaints. The maroonish purple was way better tha the blue.

Did you ever even play one or just read a review? The sold well here, went quick.

Ccapilla

While you may have bought your 1960 Les Paul Special Double Cutaway (2nd Reissue) in 1996, that was a 1995 model. See the Wikipedia document on that 2nd Reissue, only MADE from 1993 to 1995. They did not sell well and hundreds lingered in stores (mostly Guitar Centers) well into late 1996.

Here's mine, I bought it at a Guitar Center while still working for Fender in Corona, CA. Mine is "Ivory Black. I also have a "original" Les Paul Junior ... a rare Gibson's Sales rep's "custom" that he had Gold hardware put on it at the factory - a 1958-1/2 Les Paul Junior.

View attachment 11596 View attachment 11599
So I think that the run may have extended into 1996 a bit. Or at least that's what I think my headstock is telling me. Regardless, great guitars. There were a ton of them available through GC and I have to wonder if most folks knew what they were getting. I'll admit I had no idea at the time that this thing would be my number 1 for the next ~25 years.

Attachments

• IMG_3379 copy.jpg
    IMG_3379 copy.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3382 copy.jpg
    IMG_3382 copy.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 3