The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Had this pic for years on my hard drive but can't remember where I got it from.
    Now I came across of it again in a book about the Gibson Moderne.
    I always liked the split headstock better than the hockey stick head.
    Here now the single big G instead of the common logo is the icing on the cake for me.
    The serial number should be 8-1431. Does anybody know more about it?


    ... she was mumblin' to some howlin' wolf about some voodoo healin'

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    IN.
    Posts
    1,751

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    I've seen that one in the calender also. that is one of those the experts would have to examine but I would venture to say its a replica. The split that Rick Derringer owned which was latter sold to the late Scott Chinery is probably the most recognized of the split peghead Explorers. The one in the calender could be one of the very few original trade show guitars built in 57 or 58 hence the G inlayed logo but I have seen a replica made like this as well so its really hard to say. It looks very clean. Now there is a known 58 pictured in the 2nd print of Gibson Electrics and other books that does have the G only inlayed but it has the scimitar or hockey stick headstock. It has a little different cut pickguard and has white covers on the back plates instead of the standard brown it also has a stinger or widows peak on the back of peghead.

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member MattD1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Posts
    510

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    I just love vintage explorers they are amazing guitars i had the chance to play one once

    the S/N started with and 8 and it was legit the owner asked me not to post the rest of the number on here

    it was a walk-in at my local guitar center the guy had only a small understanding of what he had but i caught up with him outside the store after they were nice enough to tell him they couldnt write a check that big i talked to the older gentle man for a few mins and he took the guitar back in the store and let me have a great blow with it for about a hour it was great


    thats my Explorer story oh it was a split head but it had a full gibson logo on it

  4. #4

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by burstman59 View Post
    ...but I would venture to say its a replica.
    I saved it on my hard drive as # 8 1431.
    But as said before, I can't remember where I got the pic and the # from.

    ... she was mumblin' to some howlin' wolf about some voodoo healin'

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I yam.
    Posts
    9,220

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by MattD1960 View Post
    I just love vintage explorers they are amazing guitars i had the chance to play one once

    the S/N started with and 8 and it was legit the owner asked me not to post the rest of the number on here

    it was a walk-in at my local guitar center the guy had only a small understanding of what he had but i caught up with him outside the store...
    When was this - in the last couple of years?

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member MattD1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Posts
    510

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    yea it was last summer

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I yam.
    Posts
    9,220

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by MattD1960 View Post
    yea it was last summer
    Wow!

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member MattD1960's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Rehoboth MA
    Posts
    510

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    it was amazing iam 18 and have played some of the rarest guitars by pure luck


    i met someone with 3 burst i got to try and 59 and a 60( loved the 60) best guitar i ever played

    i have played and original explorer i just need a V

    and i have played a few 60s es guitars

  9. #9

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    My friend Jay Scott said he has seen six split headstock Explorers, but he's pretty sure that Gibson only made three! (vintage 1950's that is...)

  10. #10
    All Access/Backstage Pass Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Beyond Thunderdome
    Posts
    4,413

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    More than ten years ago, a respected luthier/sometime replica maker told me that the owner of an original "G" inlay Explorer had commissioned him to build an exact replica.

    I didn't know that there were split headstocks with the "G" logo, so I didn't think to ask what style headstock it had.



    ...

  11. #11

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by MattD1960 View Post
    it was amazing iam 18 and have played some of the rarest guitars by pure luck


    i met someone with 3 burst i got to try and 59 and a 60( loved the 60) best guitar i ever played

    i have played and original explorer i just need a V

    and i have played a few 60s es guitars
    The V is the one I'm after, I love to hear a vintage V playing behind a Les Paul, that's Rock n Roll

  12. #12

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by mainerd72 View Post
    ... I love to hear a vintage V playing behind a Les Paul, that's Rock n Roll
    One could hear that on July 5th 1969 in Hyde Park London.

    ... she was mumblin' to some howlin' wolf about some voodoo healin'

  13. #13

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil 52 View Post
    Had this pic for years on my hard drive but can't remember where I got it from.
    Now I came across of it again in a book about the Gibson Moderne.
    I always liked the split headstock better than the hockey stick head.
    Here now the single big G instead of the common logo is the icing on the cake for me.
    The serial number should be 8-1431. Does anybody know more about it?

    You could share the image of the explorer single big "G" Thank you

  14. #14

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by mono-kong View Post
    You could share the image of the explorer single big "G" Thank you
    Yeah really. That's why I clicked on this thread
    My Gibsons: 2018 LP '59 Historic, 2018 LP Jr '58 Historic, 2018 LP/SG Historic, 2016 Firebird I '63 Historic, 2015 Firebird III '64 Historic, 2011 ES-335 Wrap-Tail '59 Historic, 2011 LP Special '60 Historic, 2001 Thunderbird bass
    Quote Originally Posted by 82 Silverburst View Post
    What I see on this forum more and more is akin to little girls playing dress up with their dolls, getting them ready for some tea party.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    40,803

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by mono-kong View Post
    You could share the image of the explorer single big "G" Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Tourbus View Post
    Yeah really. That's why I clicked on this thread
    This is common with old threads. His last post on this thread was 9 years ago.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member StSpider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Padua, Italy
    Posts
    2,054

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    I have this picture from an old article translated from Japanese. Not 8-1431 but supposedly 8-2153. Also noteworthy the "stinger" on the back of the headstock.

    - 2006 Les Paul Historic R4 Oxblood
    - 2012 ES-330TDVB
    - 1995 Les Paul Studio Ebony with B7 Bigsby

    There is NO substitute for Loudness.

  17. #17

    Explorer Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    great image StSpider
    but I want an image and the history of the explorer 8-1431.

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member Frutiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    651

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by StSpider View Post
    I have this picture from an old article translated from Japanese. Not 8-1431 but supposedly 8-2153. Also noteworthy the "stinger" on the back of the headstock.

    This image is originally from André Duchossoir's Gibson Electrics The Classic Years.

  19. #19

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by Moderne View Post
    Does anyone think this one is genuine? Serial # 8-1431:


    The headstock looks nothing like the other known/verified prototypes. Is there any evidence this is factory Gibson?
    .
    "I can't sing,
    I ain't pretty,
    And my legs,
    Are thin."

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member Luke Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Somewhere in Alabama
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    Quote Originally Posted by Frutiger View Post
    This image is originally from André Duchossoir's Gibson Electrics The Classic Years.
    Look at the pickguard the way it curves up on the treble side of the ABR1, interesting......
    Lost in the middle of a Brazillian rosewood
    fingerboard......

    http://s97.photobucket.com/home/LukeGibson69

  21. #21

    Re: Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

    gotta love a G headstock ...keep it short and sweet

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!