• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Explorer # 8-1431

Phil 52

Had this pic for years on my hard drive but can't remember where I got it from.
Now I came across of it again in a book about the Gibson Moderne.
I always liked the split headstock better than the hockey stick head.
Here now the single big G instead of the common logo is the icing on the cake for me.
The serial number should be 8-1431. Does anybody know more about it?

ex81431.jpg

burstman59

I've seen that one in the calender also. that is one of those the experts would have to examine but I would venture to say its a replica. The split that Rick Derringer owned which was latter sold to the late Scott Chinery is probably the most recognized of the split peghead Explorers. The one in the calender could be one of the very few original trade show guitars built in 57 or 58 hence the G inlayed logo but I have seen a replica made like this as well so its really hard to say. It looks very clean. Now there is a known 58 pictured in the 2nd print of Gibson Electrics and other books that does have the G only inlayed but it has the scimitar or hockey stick headstock. It has a little different cut pickguard and has white covers on the back plates instead of the standard brown it also has a stinger or widows peak on the back of peghead.

MattD1960

I just love vintage explorers they are amazing guitars i had the chance to play one once

the S/N started with and 8 and it was legit the owner asked me not to post the rest of the number on here

it was a walk-in at my local guitar center the guy had only a small understanding of what he had but i caught up with him outside the store after they were nice enough to tell him they couldnt write a check that big i talked to the older gentle man for a few mins and he took the guitar back in the store and let me have a great blow with it for about a hour it was great

thats my Explorer story oh it was a split head but it had a full gibson logo on it

Rev.WillieVK

I just love vintage explorers they are amazing guitars i had the chance to play one once

the S/N started with and 8 and it was legit the owner asked me not to post the rest of the number on here

it was a walk-in at my local guitar center the guy had only a small understanding of what he had but i caught up with him outside the store...

When was this - in the last couple of years?

MattD1960

it was amazing iam 18 and have played some of the rarest guitars by pure luck

i met someone with 3 burst i got to try and 59 and a 60( loved the 60) best guitar i ever played

i have played and original explorer i just need a V

and i have played a few 60s es guitars

Electric Lloyd

My friend Jay Scott said he has seen six split headstock Explorers, but he's pretty sure that Gibson only made three! (vintage 1950's that is...)

Cody

More than ten years ago, a respected luthier/sometime replica maker told me that the owner of an original "G" inlay Explorer had commissioned him to build an exact replica.

I didn't know that there were split headstocks with the "G" logo, so I didn't think to ask what style headstock it had.

:hmm

mainerd72

it was amazing iam 18 and have played some of the rarest guitars by pure luck

i met someone with 3 burst i got to try and 59 and a 60( loved the 60) best guitar i ever played

i have played and original explorer i just need a V

and i have played a few 60s es guitars
The V is the one I'm after, I love to hear a vintage V playing behind a Les Paul, that's Rock n Roll

mono-kong

Had this pic for years on my hard drive but can't remember where I got it from.
Now I came across of it again in a book about the Gibson Moderne.
I always liked the split headstock better than the hockey stick head.
Here now the single big G instead of the common logo is the icing on the cake for me.
The serial number should be 8-1431. Does anybody know more about it?

ex81431.jpg
You could share the image of the explorer single big "G" Thank you:dude:

StSpider

I have this picture from an old article translated from Japanese. Not 8-1431 but supposedly 8-2153. Also noteworthy the "stinger" on the back of the headstock.

K8589Je.jpg

Frutiger

I have this picture from an old article translated from Japanese. Not 8-1431 but supposedly 8-2153. Also noteworthy the "stinger" on the back of the headstock.

K8589Je.jpg

This image is originally from André Duchossoir's Gibson Electrics The Classic Years.