• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Heritage as compared to Historics

james58

What are your opinions on the quality of the Heritage 150 guitars as compared to the Historic Bursts? Is there really something to the tradition that Heritage markets?

MikeSlub

Administrator
What are your opinions on the quality of the Heritage 150 guitars as compared to the Historic Bursts? Is there really something to the tradition that Heritage markets?

Not even close. :wah

reswot

Well the guys running Heritage are the guys who made all those Norlins....

james58

I guess there aren't many Heritage owners here then? Norlins, as I understand, have a poor reputation.

Shantrick

Not to run too far off topic here, but I can see Gibson reissuing Norlin era Lesters. Some guys swear by them. Myself, ive heard some that sound pretty sweet.

Garampingat

Not to run too far off topic here, but I can see Gibson reissuing Norlin era Lesters. Some guys swear by them. Myself, ive heard some that sound pretty sweet.

aren't the Pete Townsend LP sigs, John Sykes LP and Zakk Wylde LPs essentially norlin reisues?

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
The difference between the two is cosmetics weight and electronics. Tonally Heritages sound great and they play great. If it is between a LP Standard and an H-150CM the Heritage is a way better value IMO.

If you are comparing a Heritage to a Historic and want the Gibson look then you have to go with a Historic. But as far as construction goes I was told since last year all H-150CM's have a long tenon except the LW models. I believe the H-535 has a transitional or long tenon also. I think Heritage does not us a truss rod condom as well. They use a Nashville bridge and Grovers but if you are talking about the wood construction the Heritage is not far from a Historic. Cosmetically again you don't get the top carve of a Historic. But frankly I like the feel of the necks on my Heritage better than my Historics.

Weight wise H-150CM's have a reputation of being on the heavy side. That being said I have a 2004 H-150CM that is is 8.7lbs. that I got used in Mint condition for $980.00. Every H-535 I have played is really light. My H-535 is 7 lbs..

Personally I think any Gibson LP fan should have a Heritage in their arsenal. But like any guitar you have to get one you like. I have 3 Historic LP's and 3 H-150CM's. They are all great guitars but frankly the Heritages get a bit more play time.

Here is a pic of my H-150CMLW. It's chambered, weighs 8.2 lbs. The finish was shot by Floyd at Heritage who was shooting finishes in the same spray booth in the 50's for Gibson. I ordered it with Kluson tuners.

6a00d83453fcf769e200e553be55a48834-pi
6a00d83453fcf769e200e553a37e228833-pi

Last edited:

MRTONEMAN

A question like this, is akin to going to a forum dedicated to PRS
and asking them, if a Les Paul is just as good.:) :rofl

All kidding aside, to get 'unbiased opinions', you need to ask at a guitar forum
that's more geared to many different brands of electric guitars.:)

james58

I do own a Heritage 150CM Classic. Bought it back in 2002 and went with it to save a few bucks as compared to Gibson. It is on the heavy side, but has some good things going on tonewise.

In 2005, I purchased a Gibson R8 and am really glad I did. I favour it over the Heritage, but am happy to own both.

I have enjoyed reading all of your views on Heritage guitars.

darkwave

Beautiful Heritage you have there - and I love stingers too. My 1992 H-150CM has a stinger as well, and I pretty much consider it my main go-to guitar. I've managed to change every bit of electronics and hardware on it though...

One thing I'm curious about though. You mention the long tenon... was this a running change or an option that some dealers like Wolfe special-ordered? I've head of H-150s with long tennons but have never seen visual proof of one actually having it. Mine has a short tennon (nothing's visible within the rhythm pickup route.

My take on the whole debate is if you really want a Les Paul, then get one. A Heritage H-150 is a cool guitar, but both brands have their inconsistencies and quirks. I love my particular Heritage, but have run into many in stores that left me disappointed. Same for Gibson. I have one of each and they both cover unique ground.

-Douglas C.

The difference between the two is cosmetics weight and electronics. Tonally Heritages sound great and they play great. If it is between a LP Standard and an H-150CM the Heritage is a way better value IMO.

If you are comparing a Heritage to a Historic and want the Gibson look then you have to go with a Historic. But as far as construction goes I was told since last year all H-150CM's have a long tenon except the LW models. <snip>

chuck dale

I have a Heritage that was owned by the late Sam Moss of Moss Burst/Nancy fame.He played the heck out of it- a real live Murphy relic style done by Sam on many live gigs. I've had lots of historics, but this thing has it's own vibe- and the price is right! Check one out, you may find a new best friend!

AXE752

I have a Heritage that was owned by the late Sam Moss of Moss Burst/Nancy fame.He played the heck out of it- a real live Murphy relic style done by Sam on many live gigs. I've had lots of historics, but this thing has it's own vibe- and the price is right! Check one out, you may find a new best friend!

Hey Dale,
I played that particular one many a time my own self at the store and at the house. Nice guitar. Sam often had Heritage put in pickups/hardware that he would ask for specifically. Doesn't yours have Duncans in it?

james58

I think the short tenon is stock on Heritage 150 models today, but you could likely specify the long version. Jay Wolfe's guitars always seem to have specified weight, Gibson bridge hardware, and quite possibly long tenons.

Gitfiddler

Heritage Guitars have improved overall in recent years, especially under the new owner, Vince Margol. Gibson Historics have also gotten better. I enjoyed Mike Slub's thread (and photos) of the new R9's and wow, they are hard to beat. Players of each brand seem to tweak and modify their guitars to suit their personal needs. That's what is so cool about forums such as this one.

The problem with this type of comparison is that you will always find loyal followers of one marque who cringe at even the notion that their favorite guitar could ever be second to another. As was stated already, just go for the one that floats your boat and fits into your budget.

Personally, I own both Gibson Historics and Heritages, and they often share a guitar stand at my gigs. So far they've seem to get along just fine. :) It's not unusual for me to play a set with an H-150CM Ultra, and the next with a 68RI Custom. Both are great instruments...but different.

But since this is the LP Forum, dedicated primarily to Gibson products, this type of discussion might fare better at the Heritage Owners Club.

http://www.heritageownersclub.com/

walshb

I've owned several LP's in the past, including a custom and a deluxe back in the early 70's. I also owned a Heritage H-150CM from about '91 until '06. The Heritage was at least as good as the two 70's LP's, especially after installing Seth Lovers pups. In fact, I'd rate it as the second best guitar I've ever owned. Right behind my '06 R8 that I now have. :)

james58

I was apprehensive about posting, but LP guys around here have a reputation for being spot-on.

Because of this, I thought there may be some very honest input about what should go into making a great Gibson or 'take' on Gibson guitar. Didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

Thanks, I'll check out Heritage Owners too.