The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
LilyPix
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 1971 54/58 reissue

Er well it is old wood now,mine 46 years old.modern reissues are great guitars.my main guitar is a collectors choice 15.and I've compared it side by side to a genuine 58.it was better than the original in my opinion.the build of the 71/58 is closer to a 50s guitar than a 68 it does have a long neck tenon,correct heal joint and thin binding in the cutaway.however,I accept that not all of them will be great,just as not all 68s are great.but mine is way above any other early 70s LP I've tried,and I'm not keen on pancake bodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I disagree with most of the, ahem, .. hyperbole and flippity flappery associated with these. NOT old wood or made from a secret stash of 50' wood.
    NOT made from leftover bodies, necks or any parts/hardware.
    NOT an accurate replica or build, but very good for early 70's.
    NOT a better sounding or playing Les Paul than other 71-73 LPs, pickups and bridge aside.

They were cool back then. We bought them, dug 'em and moved on. Clean, 100% original examples are very collectible and sought after. But, modified or non original examples, or beat up so called "player grade" that have, IMO over inflated prices and esteem? NOT hardly.

WHY? What do you gain? Outside of Mike Campbell, I can't think of anyone who regularly uses one. Outside clean collectibles, why bother when the Historics are better, more accurate reissues, more reasonable weight on average and less than half the price? Even at the same price, why? It makes little sense. And no way are they better than CMI 68's.

Les Paul Forum Member guitplayer's Avatar

No long tenon on a 71/58

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Progrocker111 View Post
    Only difference is missing middle sandwich plate (the one just under maple top is still present) and one piece necks instead of three. None of this has significant tone influence.
    You forgot narrow headstock and narrow binding in the cutaway.
    And of course, different pickups [until the late 1970s].
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

These have way more in common with 70s guitars in feel and build. Prog got to the point. That sandwich body, small headstock and stop tail are the only real differences. Yes, they also had a few with Tune-O-matic. that just made those more like regular 70s guitars.

They are heavy, lame top carve, chrome hardware, phenolic faceplate with block logo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    These are built different from other 70s Les Pauls.
    And some did come with t-o-m's.
    Tom, the build is the same with model specs that reflect the reissue aim. Smaller headstock one piece neck an body but none of the era specific build or manufacture methods are different and no additional 50's build specs like hot hide glue or routing/carving employed.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member Kris Ford's Avatar

I wouldn't kick one out of bed.
     photo norlin_logo.jpg

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

I owned one , played that guitar for 18 years or so . Paid 850.00 bought the guitar from Petes Guitar . Real lame top carve , I really did like the sound and the way it played . My 2014 R4 is a better value at todays prices, the guitar was a good one although IMO over priced if you compare this model to a historic .
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    I owned one , played that guitar for 18 years or so . Paid 850.00 bought the guitar from Petes Guitar . Real lame top carve , I really did like the sound and the way it played . My 2014 R4 is a better value at todays prices, the guitar was a good one although IMO over priced if you compare this model to a historic .
    If you compare any vintage Gibson to a modern reissue on price. Most are not good value.
    my collectors choice 15 is every bit as good if not better than the original guitar but 200k cheaper.
    l supose it's just down to rarity. And foolish nostalgia.

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko845 View Post
    If you compare any vintage Gibson to a modern reissue on price. Most are not good value.
    my collectors choice 15 is every bit as good if not better than the original guitar but 200k cheaper.
    l supose it's just down to rarity. And foolish nostalgia.
    IMO any guitar built after 65 is not vintage , i will restate, if my 54/58 was the same price as a R4 historic I would still choose my R4 .
    Ive struggled 53 years to play guitar most of my tone is like a well placed fart , how I love the guitar !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12