• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone picked up an AC4TV yet?

MikeSlub

Administrator
I just got this "cute" (as my wife would say) little guy late last week. A pretty cool amp for 4 watts (switchable to 1 watt or 1/4 watt), with a 10" speaker and some nice sounds. Going to try it out tonight with my bandmates with a little echo. I haven't changed the tubes yet (has Sovtek EL-84 and 12AX7). PCB construction, and unfortunately the tubes are mounted on the circuit board ( :wah ), but I guess that's what you get for a $249 tube amp. Anyone else try one yet? :hank

AC4TV-large.jpg

Last edited:

rbehm

I briefly plugged into one,and for 249.00 I thought it was kinda cool, the wattage setting really makes a difference when you go to 4 - 1/4

sonar

So they finally made it to the stores?

More than a few of us would like to get a review. I'm interested in what the 1/4 watt setting sounds like dimed and if it is urban/apartment friendly?

Dutch53GT

I got it in on satrday, havn't played it yet but it looks SWEET!

(or "cute", woman will let this thing in the livingroom, believe me!)

Dino_k

I'm waiting for the head version to be available. I like the 4-, 1-, 1/4-watt capability, but want to use it with other speakers.

dsj

So what's the verdict? I'd be interested in one of these for the living room!

Dutch53GT

I played it for a couple of minutes today, sounds good. The 4watt sounded best to my ears. It was pretty loud. Only tried it in in the store (were I work) and it is pretty big and has stone floors, so I wonder wat ik would sound like at home in a small room. I'll try it again later, when I have more time and my own guitar. Man, I never liked the look of an any amp, but this thing looks cool!
I'll try a blackstar, epiphone and the vox together and see what the difference is.

GlassSnuff

First impressions:

It sounds good! More overdrive than I expected, not really the traditional Vox sound, but nice, nonetheless. Definitely has a high WAF (wife acceptance factor), and it's good with small children since it has a closed back. That helps with the bass, as well. The tone control didn't do much, the turnover frequency seems rather high, at least for humbuckers. BTW, it does have an extension speaker jack.

Truth is, I haven't spent much time with it because we got the Night Train in on the same day and, wow! Save your pennies, kids, that amp is a must have.

Come to think of it, the Night Train has a switch, and the "thick" (high gain) position bypasses the tone controls. Maybe this is the new sound of Vox.

Experience

I'm diggin' mine. I've been using an Analogman AR20 delay (quick slapback w/level at noon) to fatten the sound a wee bit and have been experimenting with a (Vexter) BoR too.

Overall I prefer the 4W setting. By playing with the amp's volume along with the guitar's, I've found many sweet tones. I'm playing around with the attenuated settings and I'm also finding usable tones there. As has been noted, very record-worthy.

Play with the amp's and guitar's volumes; a lot of tone to be had.

Thus far I've only played my 20ish year old '62 Strat RI. I've yet to use my Melody Maker RI (with a Lollar P90), but I imagine it will sound nice.

So yeah, I like it and play it all the time.

Last edited:

MikeSlub

Administrator
I pulled the Sovteks and put EH tubes in it, and it rocks even better than before! :dude: :hank

GlassSnuff

I got to play the AC4 a bit more yesterday, and I agree with Experience. It does clean up well, and the power selector adds a different character with each setting, so it's not quite the "one trick pony" I first assumed. With only two knobs, though, I don't really expect to dial in any tone I want, and the more important thing is - every tone sounds absolutely stellar!

And, even better through 4 Greenbacks. ;)

BobMello

Truth is, I haven't spent much time with it because we got the Night Train in on the same day and, wow! Save your pennies, kids, that amp is a must have.

Come to think of it, the Night Train has a switch, and the "thick" (high gain) position bypasses the tone controls. Maybe this is the new sound of Vox.

I'm with you on this! The Night Train is a killer new head. See my other thread on it. I think it might be one of the best new low wattage amp heads to come out in a long time and the price in phenominal.

Go try em guys!

I havent tried the new AC4TV yet as the Sam Ash I was at didnt have it. I'll look around to try one.