• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Super reverb

Mars Hall

A SR is more amp than I need but an older fellow at our church wants to sell me his--its an immaculate condition early SF w/the drip edge. I'm pretty sure it has the 5U4 rectifier rather than the GZ34, but how would that amp compare tone-wise to a BFSR?

The "CBS" Fender amps got a bad name because when CBS took over they changed the circuit in small ways to make it more "reliable". For just a few dollars worth of parts, a guy who knows what he's doing, can convert a Silverface amp to Blackface specs.

Black58

... and don't forget a few extra pesos for a good hand-truck! :hee

rufes

Formerly dmartinez
... and don't forget a few extra pesos for a good hand-truck! :hee

They are not that heavy and they have casters so no problem at all.

BTW I am in Spain so my currency is the EURO

pablomago

I've owned a '66 and a couple of SF amps. I wish I kept the '66, but I have Bandmaster Reverb head now that will eventually get a combo cab with 10's. I've had a few circuit tweaks done and I usually use a 2 X 12" cab with JBL's for now. A BMR is a Super Reverb in a head cab with a smaller output transformer.

The best lead tone I ever had was playing through a cranked early SF with a '68 LP GT with P-90's at a street dance in the early '70's. I had sustain Santana would kill for and a smooth overdrive. It was totally wrong for the music I was playing (country-rock) but it sure was sweet. I wish I still had both the guitar and amp. Hey, maybe I invented Alt-Country and didn't even know it? ;-)

MattD1960

Just get a 68 its black face guts with the silver look

gotta love all of the great amps fender made

my personal favorite is the bandmasteer tho but the SR is amazing they both had the

AB763 layout

JRW8214@AOL.COM

I love Bandmasters aswell. I had a '68 head that i regret selling(one of two amps i regret selling actually)

But i love Super Reverbs. I hope to own one someday.

Black58

They are not that heavy and they have casters so no problem at all.

BTW I am in Spain so my currency is the EURO

"Relax, Brian!" :hee

Didn't know ya were such a strapping young lad!

...and "pesos" was just a generalisation for currency. :jim

Dishimyuh

I've owned a '66 and a couple of SF amps. I wish I kept the '66, but I have Bandmaster Reverb head now that will eventually get a combo cab with 10's. I've had a few circuit tweaks done and I usually use a 2 X 12" cab with JBL's for now. A BMR is a Super Reverb in a head cab with a smaller output transformer.

The best lead tone I ever had was playing through a cranked early SF with a '68 LP GT with P-90's at a street dance in the early '70's. I had sustain Santana would kill for and a smooth overdrive. It was totally wrong for the music I was playing (country-rock) but it sure was sweet. I wish I still had both the guitar and amp. Hey, maybe I invented Alt-Country and didn't even know it? ;-)

If you want to get even closer to the Super Reverb, install a tapped Bassman ot(2-4-8). Then you can pick and choose your speaker cabs.