• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Whats the voicing of a Celestion Alnico Blue and Scumback?

el84ster

The Gear Page has all the reviews on the Scumbacks you could ever need.

The Scumnicos will not disappoint. They are super smooth. So musical. If you like a little raunch and rasp in your tone, you may not like these. But if you just want ultimate, smooth rich beautiful sound these are the way to go.

As much as I like mine, I also couldn't live without a cab with his M75s. Great old school thick, smooth, slightly raunchy sound!

6string

I realize this is an ancient thread from 2009 but I recent have G.A.S. for an alnico speaker again. I've checked celestion's blue alnico out some years ago but never pulled the trigger on purchasing one. Just bought a Egnator tweaker 15 amp head and I'm thinking about a 2x12 cabinet for it. I've read the G12H30 is pretty similar to the Egnator 1x12 cabinet speaker(celestion GH50) and is a very well matched speaker for it.
I would like to try something different along with something that pairs with that head.

Soooo, I started my search and got the desire for the alnico blue again. Ive been reading and sampling some YT videos of the celestion but it seems too be very loud and very pronounced mids. I'm wondering if this will pair up well with a Celestion g12H30 speaker?

Then after finding and reading this post I did a sample video of the Scumnico 65w speaker. Which got me wondering if the Scumback M75 would pair up even better for this head?

Have any of you got any sound clips or videos that you can share on both Celestion and Scumbacks mentioned above? Really curious as to what they sound like. No shop in my surrounding area has anything in stock so it would be an online order for me to try these out.

Im wondering what wattage I should go with if I chose scumnico for this head? Also was wondering how a scumnico and a celestion blue would pair up?

deytookerjaabs

I've got a pair of scumicos chillin' in the closet right now, I've had celestion blues in a few modern vox amps.

I don't agree with the "blow away" "toy speaker" old post, they're just different. If it was an AC15 I'd rather have one blue as it opens up that little amp well. But, if I was running a 4 or 2 by 12 looking for vintage sound/feel I'd go scumback. The scumback is less efficient, VERY fragile, "woody" "warm" and will get ya to breakup a bit earlier. The blue will cut through better, later breakup, great in a band setting. I'd recommend double the wattage in terms of amp to speakers if you're going scumback. If celestion, 1:1 is fine. I've had two 65w scumbacks blow in a germino club 40 1x12, with volume not over 5, zero pedals, and a strat ya live ya learn!

goldtop0

I've found the Blue to be the best allround speaker and above all others. Use one in my 1974X combo and it is just so good, robust and toneful. Can't be beat!!

I saw an A/B of a number of alnicos on youtube the other day Celestion, Jensen, Scumback etc the Blue sounded the best and I hate to say it but the Scumnico did not impress me at all.
I know this is subjective but it was like night and day........just didn't have the power or projection compared to the Blue.

Last edited:

TM1

Has anyone here tried the Fane Ascension 60? It’s an Alnico 12”.. just wondering how it compares to the Celestion... cheers!