• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Come on in my kitchen..

DoubleBoogie

Anyone up for tequila sunrises? How 'bout crabcakes 'wit hollandaise and asparagus and shitaki 'shroomage?

IMG_1794.jpg

This plate needs no foo foo.....

Note: Careful with the Samiclaus brewhaha...14% alcomohol....it'll get you drunker than a ship load of sailors on payday!

IMG_1802.jpg

No doubt kick butt goodness as always my brotha! :dude:

Texas Blues

Much obliged DB. I decided to keep the theme goin' on. Salmon, prawns, bay scallops. I had some thai sweet chile cream sauce I did the scallops with and topped the fish and rabbit food with leftover hollandaisse...

IMG_1814.jpg

Good stuff!

DoubleBoogie

In honor of my MUCH better half's birthday and all the TexMex stuff recently displayed, I decided to make her my very own special Chili Rellenos. These are red chili adobo marinated roasted duck stuffed Poblanos, fired in a traditional egg batter and served with a cajun inspired mole and jicama and cranberry relish. I first started with a nice duck breast and my adobo marinade consisting of oil toasted and reconstituted dried pasilla and guajillo chilis, garlic, vinegar, water and spices.

IMG_1639.jpg

The left over marinade is simmered down to a paste...Then I add chicken stock and simmer to marry the flavors and finish it off with a little brown sugar...

IMG_1643.jpg

Next, I seared the duck and roasted it in the oven and reserved some of the rendered duck fat for later...

IMG_1657.jpg

Now I assembled the chilis by taking flame roasted poblanos and stuffing them with duck, chihuahua cheese, green onions, and cilantro...

IMG_1659.jpg

Next is the duck fat and flower to make a little dark roux for the mole...

IMG_1668.jpg

When the roux got nice and dark, I added some fresh poblanos, red onion and garlic. This then went into the base sauce a long with a little shaved mexican chocolate infused with chili peppers resulting in this intensely flavored dark, rich mole...

IMG_1672.jpg

Next the relish consisting of fresh crunchy jicama, red onion, dried cranberries, cilantro and red cider vinegar...

IMG_1673.jpg

Finally, I fried the stuffed chilis in a traditional fluffy egg batter to a nice golden brown and served them up...A little mole sprinkled with a nice aged crumbling cheese, the relleno, and the jicama relish..

IMG_1680.jpg

This is an awesome dish if I do say so myself. :dude: As my dad used to say...."Son that would sell!" :salude

DoubleBoogie

Much obliged DB. I decided to keep the theme goin' on. Salmon, prawns, bay scallops. I had some thai sweet chile cream sauce I did the scallops with and topped the fish and rabbit food with leftover hollandaisse...

IMG_1814.jpg

Good stuff!

I'm slobberin again.... You posted this at the same time I did my rellenos. Great minds think a like! :dude:

Texas Blues

Good Gawd' DB!! That is absolutely THE best food post I have seen in a long time. Ole' for the mole'!! Very few know what good mole' is let alone cook their own. The relleno looks fantastic! You honor this thread with your culinary chaos sir! That food is dripping with soul!

bluesforstevie

IMG_1639.jpg

The left over marinade is simmered down to a paste...Then I add chicken stock and simmer to marry the flavors and finish it off with a little brown sugar...

IMG_1643.jpg

Next, I seared the duck and roasted it in the oven and reserved some of the rendered duck fat for later...

IMG_1657.jpg

Now I assembled the chilis by taking flame roasted poblanos and stuffing them with duck, chihuahua cheese, green onions, and cilantro...

IMG_1659.jpg

Next is the duck fat and flower to make a little dark roux for the mole...

IMG_1668.jpg

When the roux got nice and dark, I added some fresh poblanos, red onion and garlic. This then went into the base sauce a long with a little shaved mexican chocolate infused with chili peppers resulting in this intensely flavored dark, rich mole...

IMG_1672.jpg

Next the relish consisting of fresh crunchy jicama, red onion, dried cranberries, cilantro and red cider vinegar...

IMG_1673.jpg

Finally, I fried the stuffed chilis in a traditional fluffy egg batter to a nice golden brown and served them up...A little mole sprinkled with a nice aged crumbling cheese, the relleno, and the jicama relish..

IMG_1680.jpg

My God man.....you're playing guitar....why?.....Which 5 star restaurant are you working at?

I mean, this takes knowledge and skill for sure....but also a lot of hours of practice too....where did you learn your craft? Both you and Texas Blues ought to open up a nice dive man!!!!!!!

DoubleBoogie

Good Gawd' DB!! That is absolutely THE best food post I have seen in a long time. Ole' for the mole'!! Very few know what good mole' is let alone cook their own. The relleno looks fantastic! You honor this thread with your culinary chaos sir! That food is dripping with soul!

Thanks TB. When I got the roux going and put in the veggies, my wife and son came running into the kitchen and said..."Oh my God that smells incredible!" Doesn't look too appetizing but it is the key to making my version of the mole'.

IMG_1669.jpg

DoubleBoogie

My God man.....you're playing guitar....why?.....Which 5 star restaurant are you working at?

I mean, this takes knowledge and skill for sure....but also a lot of hours of practice too....where did you learn your craft? Both you and Texas Blues ought to open up a nice dive man!!!!!!!

Thanks Dan...I have actually contemplated the idea of opening a restaurant. However, my balls just aren't quite fuzzy enough to pull that trigger. :hee I don't have any formal training. Just a lot of time spent experimenting in the kitchen with techniques and flavors. While I have come up with some good stuff, I have had some real duds too. You learn from your mistakes as well as your successes. Now I will add that the joining up with TB would be a blast I'm sure. There would be some serious creativity going on in that kitchen! :dude:

Last edited:

Texas Blues

Working in kitchens is anything but a glory filled experience. You give up your nights and weekends, on your feet countless hours, endless cuts and burns on your hands, and despite what the foodie shows would have you think, all in all it's not worth the effort for the money. Pro chef's and cooks all across America and the world in general are notorious flakes, but then, so are musicians. I have had the distinct honor of also having been a professional fishing guide as well....so that's chef, musician, and fishing guide...that's three..count 'em three....losers rolled up into one!

DoubleBoogie

Working in kitchens is anything but a glory filled experience. You give up your nights and weekends, on your feet countless hours, endless cuts and burns on your hands, and despite what the foodie shows would have you think, all in all it's not worth the effort for the money. Pro chef's and cooks all across America and the world in general are notorious flakes, but then, so are musicians. I have had the distinct honor of also having been a professional fishing guide as well....so that's chef, musician, and fishing guide...that's three..count 'em three....losers rolled up into one!

You are so right about the restaurant business. Most people would have hard time fathoming how people can exist working that gig. You have to have a passion for food to stick with it. And damn man!!! We gots to be brothers because when I ain't cookin or playin..I'm probably thinking about fishing. Me (along with my son and wife this time) are already set to go back to BC after some more salmon next August. Already countin the days...:dude:

Texas Blues

You are so right about the restaurant business. Most people would have hard time fathoming how people can exist working that gig. You have to have a passion for food to stick with it. And damn man!!! We gots to be brothers because when I ain't cookin or playin..I'm probably thinking about fishing. Me (along with my son and wife this time) are already set to go back to BC after some more salmon next August. Already countin the days...:dude:

Makin' music, fishin' and then the eaten..in that order. As per fishing..when you have a 40 pound chinook light up the line, and his soul is connected to yours by that line and you feel everything that fish feels as you struggle....rarely are there moments that one feels so alive and in touch with another animal. Less scary than jumping out of an airplane too! I used to play in a rock band back in the day of the white buffalo and caveman and haven't gigged in quite awhile. I'm slowly working back to it and enjoying the ride all I can right now. Go back to the cooking life? What for? Construction pays better. I would have never bought 5 guitars in 2 years cooking in some kitchen. I'll cook for my friends anytime though...

bluesforstevie

Man....I know. I waited tables for 13 years and was assistant chef at a Southwestern Restaurant for about 6 months...and I went back to waiting tables...lol!!! I know the routine and it was NOT for me.:salude

Cooking at home is hard enough when you've got a tiny kitchen and I'm the only dishwasher.....its thankless work at times. Once in awhile though....you do a party or some function where people try your wares and really love them. Then....it makes it a lot more fun.

DoubleBoogie

Cooked up some simple King Salmon steaks last night. The 'ol camera battery died before I could get the finished product and I wasn't about to wait and let the battery charge before devouring these huge chunks of heaven. But I did get one picture that I thought I would share of the raw seasoned steaks. Yes...That is a 13" x 9" pyrex baking dish to give you an idea about how big these steaks were. They were all about 1 1/4 inches thick. These are from that 50 pounder that I caught last August. A little blackening seasoning, creole spices, salt, pepper, and little olive oil. Cooked them up over a charcoal grill with some Jack Daniels oak whiskey barrel chips thrown on for good measure. Damn it was good!!!:salude

Salmon1.jpg

Texas Blues

The Salmon Burst!! Cooked or not, I'm diggin' the flame on those king filets!!

Wiggy

All Access/Backstage Pass
I'm Hungary !!

jethro.gif

Don't let this thread fade away:applaude

Wiggy

All Access/Backstage Pass
So, that's what they mean by Holiday Cheer! :salude