• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New pickups - lead length?

Steve-hose

How long should the lead lengths from the pickups to the pots be? How much extra wire is best to leave so the PU's can be removed temporarily for inspection/cleaning etc? Am I correct to assume one wants the shortest length practical? Thanks.

madryan

I generally leave them long so I can sell them should I want to without many issues.

RamiLP

i highly doubt having them be long a few inches extra would make much a difference, i mean you have thousands of winds inside a pickup bobbin, i think it would be only the matter of having neat control cavity than anything else. but its all done within reason.

Guitar Whiskey

I leave them full length leaving the connection in the control cavity minimal and stuff the extra wire coiled under the pickup. You never know when you might need additional length for a different guitar and it does not impair the sound quality.

marT

yeah I leave full length and just stuff the rest in the route from the switch to the control cavity.

roadrunner

I just cut 'em to length and wire 'em up. Most pickup sales are for LP's, by a wide margin. 335 guys can go fend for themselves:hee :spabout

skydog6653

Zombie thread wake up, but not one responder answered the original question!