• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How did Darkburst come about on a 59 Burst?

GastonG

I do remember having seen a strong "darkburst" 59 Les Paul, when I was at Guitar Trader in Red Bank NJ in the early 80's. I asked Dave DeForrest about that "unusual" sunburst finish, he brought the guitar under a fluorescent lamp, and you could see clearly the red in the sunburst.

Years later, same thing happened with "Faye"; you could see the red in the sunburst.

Gaston :salude

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
The House of Guitars had an original 1959 dark burst hanging in their store for several years, with a serial number that was very close to the Perry burst.

Jumping@Shadows

I recently shot a vintage Les Paul in what I would consider a ‘50s ES sunburst, that I think could be included in the Darkburst category.

Before fading:

0eagViS.jpg

A few weeks later:

E9wbQQv.jpg

goldtop0

I recently shot a vintage Les Paul in what I would consider a ‘50s ES sunburst, that I think could be included in the Darkburst category.

Before fading:

0eagViS.jpg

A few weeks later:

E9wbQQv.jpg

That's the finish I most like........thanks for posting:2cool