• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thoughts on these Sprague caps?

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
I don't know much about caps. These look right except the shielding on the leads. Are these good for a 50's LP? Can I find that shielding elsewhere if they are? I did notice comparing these to ones in a 50s LP that the P and 2 are different size... I don't know when/how these varied by year. I guess they could be copies as well. Anyone know? Rick!?

Thanks, Cheers! :salude
Bryan

cap1.jpg

cap3.jpg

RickN

Those are the (slightly) later Black Beauties. Meaning, they're not the paper-in-oil version that came in the late-'56 through approximately early-'60 guitars. They're mylar - still good caps; in fact, they held their tolerance better than the PIO models. The mylar caps did show up on some late-'59s. If you're looking for something that would be absolutely accurate in a guitar of the time period I mentioned above, you'd need to find some PIO versions. If 'absolute correctness' isn't as important, those will work just fine.

Last edited:

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
Rick, Black Beauties were used for quite a long time I think, weren't they? The Mylar kind of course.
Is there any significant difference appearance-wise between the first Mylars from '59-'60 and later ones?

/GV

RickN

Rick, Black Beauties were used for quite a long time I think, weren't they? The Mylar kind of course.
Is there any significant difference appearance-wise between the first Mylars from '59-'60 and later ones?

/GV

Black Beauties were around for a while longer, but Gibson's use of them tailed off in the early '60s. Speaking only from my experience, starting in the early '60s, you see more ceramic disk capacitors than the big mylar Spragues. I suspect that, like many things at Gibson, there was a period where both types were used until their supply of Spragues got used up.

Appearance-wise, the change was to move away from the color-coded banding to indicate value/tolerance and go to easier-to-decipher lettering. Same caps, different paint job.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
just slide that insulation off and use the right color. No big whoop!

JIMI55LP

Find some cloth covered wire of correct color in 18 ga. and strip off the correct lengths to laquer coat, then slip them on.