• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Whats the difference between nickel wound and pure nickel strings?

smokin' tone

I bought about 10 sets of the Pyramid nickel classics a few months back. These were almost great strings but 8 of 10 sets had a bad low E string. It was dead flat. I ended up wasting most of the others just opening them up to find a good low E. When I did the tone and feel was the best I have ever had. I emailed Don about it but maybe he missed it or something. I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying nor do I mean any disrespect to Don. I'm sure he didn't stuff bum strings in there just for me.. Maybe I got a bad run. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I'm afraid to chance it again at that price.

Edward

I'm new to the "pure nickel" scene as I've used D'Adds XL Nickel plated for a very looonng time now with no complaints. But with a pretty bright Tele, I gave it a shot: D'Add Pure nickel in 10s ...awesome! They attenuated the bright-bright highs and left me with clear top end and a warmer overall tone. Now several months later on my 2nd set and I am convinced this is what my Tele has been begging for. Very pleased and definitely sold on them.

I also bought a set of these pure nicks for the LP, but haven't tried it yet. And one of the very cool things about about the D'Adds is that they are easy to get, no "ordering" involved, and always on hand ...not to mention cheap in comparison to other more "bootiky" strings.

Edward

zombiwoof

I bought about 10 sets of the Pyramid nickel classics a few months back. These were almost great strings but 8 of 10 sets had a bad low E string. It was dead flat. I ended up wasting most of the others just opening them up to find a good low E. When I did the tone and feel was the best I have ever had. I emailed Don about it but maybe he missed it or something. I don't mean to discourage anyone from trying nor do I mean any disrespect to Don. I'm sure he didn't stuff bum strings in there just for me.. Maybe I got a bad run. Just wondering if anyone else had this happen. I'm afraid to chance it again at that price.

I don't know if this pertains to your experiences or not, but strings with round cores can unwind if not installed with care. Back when all strings were round core, most of them came with instructions to put a right angle bend in the string about a 1/2 inch to an inch from the end of the windings before installing, to keep the windings from unraveling, which sounds like it might have been your problem. This is one of the reasons manufacturers went to the hex core, it holds the windings better (but IMO affects the sustain). I think the tone improvement of round core strings is worth the extra effort in installing them.

Al

roadhog96

I don't know if this pertains to your experiences or not, but strings with round cores can unwind if not installed with care. Back when all strings were round core, most of them came with instructions to put a right angle bend in the string about a 1/2 inch to an inch from the end of the windings before installing, to keep the windings from unraveling, which sounds like it might have been your problem. This is one of the reasons manufacturers went to the hex core, it holds the windings better (but IMO affects the sustain). I think the tone improvement of round core strings is worth the extra effort in installing them.

Al
I'll second that! It is imperative that you put a bend in the end of the string before winding around the post. The outer nickel winding will slip on the round core and ruin them. DR Pure Blues has this tip on their string packages, I don't believe Pyramid does.

smokin' tone

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about that. I always cut my strings to length and run them through the peg followed by a sharp bend. I don't remember where I picked that up but I have been doing it for years. I won't rule out operator error but it seems like I would have also had some trouble with the A or D string if that were the case. I might try some DR pure nickels and see if I hose them up.

roadhog96

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think about that. I always cut my strings to length and run them through the peg followed by a sharp bend. I don't remember where I picked that up but I have been doing it for years. I won't rule out operator error but it seems like I would have also had some trouble with the A or D string if that were the case. I might try some DR pure nickels and see if I hose them up.

The DR Pure Blues have a larger core wire than the Pyramids have. The outer Nickel wrap is thinner on the DR Pure Blues. They will not sound as warm and are much stiffer feeling than the Pyramids even though the both have round core wire and a pure Nickel wrap. The Pyramids have a thinner core wire with a thicker Nickel wrap, just the opposite. This is why they sound warmer and bend easier. A set of 10-46 DR Pure Blues is close to the same tension as a set of 10-48 Pyramids. I have tried both and have done a lot of testing with strings. I personaly like using a 10-48 on Gibson's because of the short scale length these heavier gauge strings sound better and are no harder to bend or fret than and 10-46 on a longer scale neck like on a Strat.

zombiwoof

The DR Pure Blues have a larger core wire than the Pyramids have. The outer Nickel wrap is thinner on the DR Pure Blues. They will not sound as warm and are much stiffer feeling than the Pyramids even though the both have round core wire and a pure Nickel wrap. The Pyramids have a thinner core wire with a thicker Nickel wrap, just the opposite. This is why they sound warmer and bend easier. A set of 10-46 DR Pure Blues is close to the same tension as a set of 10-48 Pyramids. I have tried both and have done a lot of testing with strings. I personaly like using a 10-48 on Gibson's because of the short scale length these heavier gauge strings sound better and are no harder to bend or fret than and 10-46 on a longer scale neck like on a Strat.

I don't think the Pyramid Nickel Classics (round core) come in that 10-48 gauge, the hex core version does, though.

Al

smokin' tone

Well I picked up a couple of sets of DR Pure Blues today. I'll probably try a set tomorrow. I used to use DR's on my old Strat so I know what you're saying about the gauge. I'll try to report back on them.

roadhog96

I don't think the Pyramid Nickel Classics (round core) come in that 10-48 gauge, the hex core version does, though.

Al
Yes they do, I have several sets here right now. Talk to Toneman, he can get the Classics in the 10-48 sets. He can even get them with the silk wound ball ends if you want, that's what I use. Pyramids are the best round core nickels available. He doesn't list them on the web site but he can get them. www.tone-man.com

JANGLY

That's interesting on the plain strings. One thing I noticed a long time ago on the pyramid strings was on the .010 sets the "D" string was always weak sounding. It seemed to be because of the small core. Where ever the breakoff point was on core sizes the .011 set was fine. Maybe this is why you use to see all the extreme pole piece adjustments on older guitars.

If you've never heard any congolese soukous solo guitarists play such as Diblo Dibala or Joseph Adamson (0n youtube) ...you'd be in for a treat....they play high and fast up on the neck and Diblo will use the .10 to .46 set but change out the the 0.10 string to a 0.11 to get a bright yet clearer sound.
Jeff