• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Duane Allman's Amp Settings? Pics? INFO??

csteward

Oh ok. Well that's cool to have another huge Duane fan on this forum.

ptrickamp222

"Y" Cord that way you have both Vol's to play with and usually Vol 2 is set higher for a fatter tone.

P1010030a-1.jpg

:salude Definitely sounds better than bridging Channel's. Been doing it for years on old amps. NO can do on new style. Will be out of phase.

lpcust

I seem to remember tales of the Bros using JBL-loaded Marshall cabs w/backs removed for a piece the the cool tone. Any truth to this?

fender69

Yeah, I remember an interview w/Dickey way back in Guitar Player. He said the cabs were open...I remember it well because I got plywood and opened up the back of the cheap 4-12 cabinet I had at the time. Powered by a Sunn Solos amp of all things.... :rofl

Jeez....

sonnygarret

Hey there Skydog fans...anyone of you cats know how Duane set his amp? Did he jump channels or play out of the normal channel by itself? Did he dime the amp and use the guitar to manipulate volume etc?

Any help you guys can give me would be very cool. If you've got pics to support your comments that would be extra cool.( sonnygarret )no pics available at this time but for the last few years, i've had the opportunity to see some home footage of gregg in the studio working on the album "serchin for simplicity" where as a famous slide player named mark mcgee tracked some slide work for gregg on "memphis in the meantime" and while whatching this film where mark walks in to the console room where gregg and tom dowd are sitting at the console, through the glass i could see an old tweed combo laying on it's back with an expensive mike hanging down about 3 to 4 feet from it. I asked holder of this camcorder about the amp and he said gregg brought that over for mark to use, it's duanne's old fender champ he used on leyla. didn't see the settings but knowing that an old champ only has a volume knob and a tone knob narrows your search for that tone right away. if you listen to "memphis in the meantime" while marks tone pretty much mimicks that of the leyla tone it is in fact so much more the playing style of the player that really sets them apart. we all have a signature sound and you do too! Look, I'm a gearhead my self but hangging with these guys has made me realize that their gear is inconsequental. The variations on tone are not that big. grab a tone. any tone and stay there. your playing is what gives us your signature sound. and we'll always know it's you by that sound, not the tone or the guitar. It's you we pay to come see!!!!! playplay play. youll see what i mean in time. JUST PLAY! Our heros were'nt gearheads. they used in the studio what they were told to use and it was usaully just what was on hand at the time. i opened for edger winter and loverboy once, brought my marshall stacks and the promoter had'nt yet picked up the rented marshall they were to use. he asked if they could use mine instead to save him $$$. i said sure. I'll be dammed if they didnt make my marshalls sound like edger winter and loverboy that day. they even liked my settings. WHO KNEW!!!!! true story

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!:frank:
v'e

TM1

Why dont ya all just ask red dog...iam sure he may remember..
Unless you have a direct line to the hereafter, it's not possible to talk with Reddog. He passed the 21st of Feb in 2011.
He was a pretty special guy. It's doubtful that the band would have been able to exist in 1969 without the "Dog"!

stratking

Unless you have a direct line to the hereafter, it's not possible to talk with Reddog. He passed the 21st of Feb in 2011.
He was a pretty special guy. It's doubtful that the band would have been able to exist in 1969 without the "Dog"!

He wasn't when kevmoe suggested that. That post was from almost 8 years ago.

Xpensive Wino

I saw his amps numerous times, but I can't even remember my own settings from those days. :dang

faf

the guitar-to-amp wiring question...
There should be no effective electrical differences between the two options of 1) using a y-cable; or 2) using a jumper cable, to drive both channels from one guitar. There is a technical difference, but no effectual difference.

the guitar...
I can't think of any reason, why a young and talented hot-shot out of Daytona, Florida would not make his guitar (and his bike) run as smooth and as hot as possible. If he swapped his pickups, he must have found something that worked for him.

the Fillmore East album sound...
Duane first and foremost, the band, the equipment, the recording engineers, the producers, the studio equipment, post-production, etc. They must all have some contribution. It sure sounds great.

gbsnplr

In this thread someone mentions Don Butler. Do you know how to get in touch with Don I am an old friend that has lost touch with him.

chasenblues

In this thread someone mentions Don Butler. Do you know how to get in touch with Don I am an old friend that has lost touch with him.

Don Butler goes by the screen name TM1,Being a new member i'm not sure if you can reach out to him through private messaging(You might have to have a certain amount of posts to use the PM feature.)

You might search for his last forum post, And request he contact you...Not sure if that is against the forum rules though.

TM1

Derek(Trucks) owns one of Duane's amps, a 50 watt Marshall Tremolo head. According to Paul Smith(Mr. PRS) Duane's amp is the direct source for his HXDA voicing. He said that there was something different about the way it was wired vs. the stock wiring from that time. Most likely the tone stack is the 250pf treble cap, 56k slope resistor and 2 of the .022's for Bass and Mids. Not sure if there is a .68 uf cap off of the 2nd stage cathode that increases the gain. But all the Lead amps used a 500pf & 33K resistor with the split cathodes in the first tube and the .68uf in the 2nd tubes cathode.

Black58

I can actually get a lot of Duane's tone by turning my Lester's bridge pickup volume to !0, the tone knob to 7, using the ROUNDED corner of a standard-shaped pick, and picking the strings directly behind the neck pickup .. which is where he did most of his picking. It works REALLY well. Ya'll give it a shot! :salude

PaulLaRue

I can actually get a lot of Duane's tone by turning my Lester's bridge pickup volume to !0, the tone knob to 7, using the ROUNDED corner of a standard-shaped pick, and picking the strings directly behind the neck pickup .. which is where he did most of his picking. It works REALLY well. Ya'll give it a shot! :salude

I do the same thing ! Works for me.