• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

OCD vs Boss DS -1

barn

I have an old DS-1 (long dash, japan, silver screw, etc...) and one of the 1st OCD's (yeah I know one of the knobs sheered off, but hey it's a set-it and forget-it type of thing - Mike offered to fix it for free when it fell off of my stack)

I thought these two sounded pretty close and thought I'd look closer.....

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

They do the same thing to the waveform! They make the twisting ribbon type of thingy....

....compared to say this 80's bixonic which totally distorts the waveform.

DSC00456.jpg

Minibucker

Whattaya...work at a hospital?

"Flatline! Hurry it up.....CLEAR!!....."

Barn hits a power chord through the OCD, and the patient jolts back to life.

;-D

Hamish5178

Wow, I'd love it if you could do that for every pedal you own and post pics, I'm geekin out over here!

barn

I do have a lot of vintage pedals, tonebenders, MXR script logo everything they made, ce -1, Tube screamers, etc... Perhaps this weekend I'll do more. I can plug the scope into the PC via USB and capture screen shots which are more revealing than the pics I took.

Thanks for the nice comments! Minibucker I'm LMAO!

Minibucker

Imagine a distortion pedal shootout.....using a defibrillator? Whichever one brings the patent back to life...wins.

"Clear...!!" <craaannnggg>!!

Johnny Q

I thought the Keeley modded DS1 could hang with my OCD v3, but in its stock form - no way.

JQ

Drawrein

+1, Analogman DS1 Pro is VERY good also but a stock recent DS1 is not in the same county as an OCD to my ears. Never heard the original Japanese vintage I must admit.

D

Kap'n

The OCD V. 3 is one of the best dirt pedals I've used. The others might be better, who knows.

The one example of a DS-1 was hands down the worst distortion pedal I've ever used. Markedly worse than any DOD, MetalZone, Heavy Metal, etc. It compressed so much, and was so mid scooped, I couldn't turn it up enough to even hear it in a band mix. Admittedly it was a fairly recent one, but still.

coxster

KILLER POST. Dang, my dual trace just died a few days ago: can't get a trace line thinner than 5/8" (any ideas?? ) check my blog link below, for my DS1 mods and other nonsense

Jimbo

radaradarada92

The OCD is a sick pedal, but I also love my DS-1 (even thought it's a rev 3 :p). Check out my demo here with my Gibson LP Standard.