The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Anyone try Throbak Paf's yet?

I haven't heard squat. Arte we having PAF Fatigue? Got a set? Do tell.....

Les Paul Forum Member Dutch53GT's Avatar

Re: Anyone try Throbak Paf's yet?

still waiting for mine.....

In the Zone/Backstage Pass fast ricky love's Avatar

I put my name on the list and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming they haven't been shipped yet.
    bandsawnyc.com

These will start shipping next week. I will post the different models on my site then email everyone on the list to see which they want from the Limited line. I was waiting on some Michigan Hard Maple spacers I had custom milled for me. Those came in this week. The other item I'm still waiting on is a custom made batch of unoriented A5 magnets. Those I am still waiting on. The place is very slow in making them. But I will start filling orders that require sand cast A2 and oriented A5 next week. They won't all go out next week but I will start working my way through the list as quickly as possible.

What is the story with unoriented A5s? I haven't heard of this. TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    What is the story with unoriented A5s? I haven't heard of this. TIA.
    Many pickup makers have tried to get these with little to no luck. Apparently they were unoriented in real PAFs.

I don't know a lot about them but my understanding is the magnetic flux travels in all different directions.

Les Paul Froum Member

magnetizing them before or after they cool, oriented vs unoriented.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass fast ricky love's Avatar

Hey now! That's great news!
    bandsawnyc.com

Quote Originally Posted by PoorMan View Post
    Apparently they were unoriented in real PAFs.
    In all PAFs? Or only some?

Les Paul Forum Member Red Baron's Avatar

Last edited by Red Baron; 09-06-08 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    +1!
    SU N B U R S T

Guitars:

'52/'57 G O L D T O P
    '61 Fender Stratocaster
    '56 Gibson Les Paul Special
    '57 reissue Stratocaster plus many part-o-casters
    Seven '59 Les Paul Replicas

Amps:

'66 Marshall JTM45 head
    '67 Pinstripe A & B 4x12s w/20s
    1960 BHW 4x12 w/30s
    '60 Gibson Ranger
    Blockhead 2x12
    Fender "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb
    '67 Univox 2x10 amp
    '57 Gibson GA30
    Vox DA-5

Kendrick strings rule!

I've ordered 2 sets with the limited edition nos wire, and have gotten prompt and courteous replies to email. I've got several sets of Timbuckers and a few real PAFs, I've been thru several brands of PAF type clones, such as the Dr.V Wolfetones, J.M Rolphs.

I'll tell you up front, I might just be quiet if I don't like them and sell them, but if I do like them, you'll hear from me, for whatever my opinion is worth. He's asked if they are going in a bright or dark guitar, and I than replied that I like them to have alot of bass, yet clear, not muddy and I don't like thin and bright sounding anything. This is based on one PAF I have that has those characteristics. I'd be willing to bet that many of the pickup winders could custom wind pickups close to what you describe or go a referance to a particular artist/tune. I've never ordered pickups in this manor, most of mine were bought second hand and when buying new I went with popular choice such as the "Ed A wind". This is a first though for having nos wired used, I bailed on the DMC version II option, I think there are some others that come close enough, besides they are double creams underneath.

Hopefully, Throbaks will have the cream bobbins will not be the "too pink" version that some makers use. Myself and many others have commented on this, I've heard there are only two suppliers of the bobbins used for all the manufactures of humbuckers. Tim White switched suppliers during the last months of his production, using the new improved cream bobbins, but his earlier pickups have the much pinker bobbins, I've got both. No, I don't think they nail the color of real PAF cream bobbins, but they are as close as you can get, I think they are the same as used by Seymour Duncan.
    SU N B U R S T

Guitars:

'52/'57 G O L D T O P
    '61 Fender Stratocaster

Amps:

'66 Marshall JTM45 head
    1960 BHW 4x12 w/30s
    '60 Gibson Ranger
    Blockhead 2x12
    '67 Univox 2x10 amp
    '57 Gibson GA30
    Vox DA-5

Kendrick strings rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
    In all PAFs? Or only some?
    Some PAF's have oriented A5 some have unoriented. They sound different and both are appropriate for PAF's.

Just to clarify what Buzz said about bobbin color. I only sell covered pickups. I do not make or market a specific bobbin color. There is one specific color that can only marketed by a certain specific maker. Gibson never marketed a specific bobbin color for humbuckers. They only sold covered humbuckers with a variety of color combinations under the cover. I and other makers can follow Gibson's lead as it relates to covered humbuckers.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Some PAF's have oriented A5 some have unoriented. They sound different and both are appropriate for PAF's.

Just to clarify what Buzz said about bobbin color. I only sell covered pickups. I do not make or market a specific bobbin color. There is one specific color that can only marketed by a certain specific maker. Gibson never marketed a specific bobbin color for humbuckers. They only sold covered humbuckers with a variety of color combinations under the cover. I and other makers can follow Gibson's lead as it relates to covered humbuckers.
    I was inquisitive about if they will be pinkish type or not, but I guess you don't think that's worth addressing? I didn't insinuate that you sell dbl. creams, or if it's o.k as long as they come with covers, but if you sell zebra's than one of them would be cream so why bring up the issue as if I started something that could get you into trouble?
    Last edited by Buzz; 09-06-08 at 11:21 PM.
    SU N B U R S T

Guitars:

'52/'57 G O L D T O P
    '61 Fender Stratocaster

Amps:

'66 Marshall JTM45 head
    1960 BHW 4x12 w/30s
    '60 Gibson Ranger
    Blockhead 2x12
    '67 Univox 2x10 amp
    '57 Gibson GA30
    Vox DA-5

Kendrick strings rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I was inquisitive about if they will be pinkish type or not, but I guess you don't think that's worth addressing? I didn't insinuate that you sell dbl. creams, or if it's o.k as long as they come with covers, but if you sell zebra's than one of them would be cream so why bring up the issue as if I started something that could get you into trouble?
    No problem Buzz I just wanted to clarify. As far as bobbin color goes the supplier that sold the pinkish tinted ones has changed the color formulation. I don't think any maker that has a current stock of bobbins will have the pinkish tinted ones anymore.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Glad to hear it's coming soon! Really looking forward to VASL PAF's with the NOS wire and two different bobbin winders and un-oriented magnets.
    Thanks Jon!!

Les Paul Forum Member

Which version of the Limited sets is everyone ordering? I've gone for the Double tone's - A2 magnest neck and unorientated A5 bridge.

Les Paul Forum Member Dutch53GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Which version of the Limited sets is everyone ordering? I've gone for the Double tone's - A2 magnest neck and unorientated A5 bridge.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch53GT View Post
    +1
    I was told thru email that the website has newly updated PAF choices and descriptions, in case you have not visited lately. I'm un-decided myself, the set that is supposed to be like Greeny's is equally as tempting as the double tones.
    SU N B U R S T

Guitars:

'52/'57 G O L D T O P
    '61 Fender Stratocaster

Amps:

'66 Marshall JTM45 head
    1960 BHW 4x12 w/30s
    '60 Gibson Ranger
    Blockhead 2x12
    '67 Univox 2x10 amp
    '57 Gibson GA30
    Vox DA-5

Kendrick strings rule!

I'm in the market for some new pickups, and these are definitely on the shortlist. Which ones would Jon or any of you other guys suggest? The guitar is an '02 R8 Historic Makeover. I think it's fairly balanced sounding, perhaps on the dark side, but quite percussive. I am going to upgrade to Pigtail hardware and stainless steel bridge posts to tighten up the bottom a little. I've currently got WCR Fillmore neck and Goooooodwood bridge. I really like the bridge pickup, it's just a tiny bit too hot and compressed, but the neck pickup is too middy sounding and too hot.

The "Peter Green" set looks interesting as I think I want a reasonably hot bridge pickup (8.5k region), but I don't want it to be too bright. I also think I want the neck PU more in the 7.5k or less region, unless I can be conviced otherwise? Does that work well with flipped magnet/out of phase middle tones?

Les Paul Forum Member bluesforstevie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shakti View Post
    I'm in the market for some new pickups, and these are definitely on the shortlist. Which ones would Jon or any of you other guys suggest? The guitar is an '02 R8 Historic Makeover. I think it's fairly balanced sounding, perhaps on the dark side, but quite percussive. I am going to upgrade to Pigtail hardware and stainless steel bridge posts to tighten up the bottom a little. I've currently got WCR Fillmore neck and Goooooodwood bridge. I really like the bridge pickup, it's just a tiny bit too hot and compressed, but the neck pickup is too middy sounding and too hot.

The "Peter Green" set looks interesting as I think I want a reasonably hot bridge pickup (8.5k region), but I don't want it to be too bright. I also think I want the neck PU more in the 7.5k or less region, unless I can be conviced otherwise? Does that work well with flipped magnet/out of phase middle tones?
    Well, I have a guitar that sounded too "thick" or dark in the neck with most A2 pickups...so, I put an A5 in my Burstbucker 2 which is about 7.8K and it really, really helped...gave it more definition and cut...and it has the Peter Green flip...along with my Burstbucker 3 with A2 mag in the bridge...which is about 8.5K or so...and I really like the combo. Here's a sample video for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qkF_6LNPA

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluesforstevie View Post
    Well, I have a guitar that sounded too "thick" or dark in the neck with most A2 pickups...so, I put an A5 in my Burstbucker 2 which is about 7.8K and it really, really helped...gave it more definition and cut...and it has the Peter Green flip...along with my Burstbucker 3 with A2 mag in the bridge...which is about 8.5K or so...and I really like the combo. Here's a sample video for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qkF_6LNPA

Best tone you ever had. Love it love it.
    Top carves are sexy

Les Paul Forum Member

I'm currently using Wolfetone Legends which are A2 and the neck pickup particularly is amazing and woody sounding but the bridge a little thin no matter what I do so I'm hoping the unorientated A5 bridge will thicken things up. I really liked the SD '59 I had in the bridge a couple of years back but preferred the openness of the Wolfetone. This should hopefully sound like a mix of the two.

just put in an order for the SLE-101 Plus Limited

Quote Originally Posted by MapleFlame View Post
    +1! Out of all of your videos, I like this one the best by far!! That tone is pretty close to what I am shooting for...that open, airy, bluesy Green-like tone, but enough output to get to Duane Allman territory.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleFlame View Post
    Still got it!!! Thanks brudda!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shakti View Post
    +1! Out of all of your videos, I like this one the best by far!! That tone is pretty close to what I am shooting for...that open, airy, bluesy Green-like tone, but enough output to get to Duane Allman territory.
    Yeah...I'm not shamelessly looking for comps...I just thought this maybe a good example of an A5 at work in the neck...and the PG flip...

anyone know what unoriented vs. oriented sounds like? What's the tonal diff?

Sorry for all the posts....but I'm going for the good ole' A2 set...that's what I'm used to and oddly enough the K readings are the same as my real PAF's in my 07 R9!!

BFS, very nice demo of the different tones available to the flipped magnet player.

I'm trying a set of the SLE-101 Plus Limited for an SG and the DT-102 Limited for either a V or ES 355. The SG presently has RS True 60's and the V has Holmes 450/455's. Should be an interesting shootout.

I'm on the list for a set of the LE PAF's, but need more info on how the tone between the unoriented vs oriented differs. I'm trying to decide between Jon's 101's and 102's. Input appreciated.

What can I expect from the Double Tone pups?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesforstevie View Post
    anyone know what unoriented vs. oriented sounds like? What's the tonal diff?
    I've been listening comparison clips (oriented vs unoriented) lately and I found difficult to distinguish any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dtw576 View Post
    I'm trying a set of the SLE-101 Plus Limited for an SG and the DT-102 Limited for either a V or ES 355. The SG presently has RS True 60's and the V has Holmes 450/455's. Should be an interesting shootout.
    Very very interesting! Please let us know when throbak will arrive!

I'm in list for a SLE-101us limted and I can't wait!

Bye

Les Paul Forum Member Todd Louis's Avatar

Looking forwad to hearing thes Jon makes geat fuzz boxes so the PU's sould be the same ...

Gota get clips of them man!!! Ill make ya some... Let me get the $$ together and Ill order a set
    The World Needs a MARSHALL ENEMA !

Brooklyn,Manhattan,Queens,Da Bronx, Staten Island.....
    NYC The Greatest Country in DA World....!

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.
    I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that.
    That's what's insane about it."
    John Lennon

I've been listening comparison clips (oriented vs unoriented) lately and I found difficult to distinguish any difference.
    Where are these clips?

The difference is subtle. A5 oriented has a focused tone. Less crunch to the picked note, a little rounder sounding. A5 unoriented has a bit of crunch to the picked note similar to A2 but with the character of A5. It's a subtle difference but a very different feel when you A/B them.

I have a '61 SG/LP that I've owned since 1984, so I'm very intimately familiar with its tone. Until I'd read about the Throbak PAFs and corresponded with Jon about them I never knew there was an unoriented vs. oriented A5 magnet situation. That being said, I've always wondered whether the magnets in my '61 might be long A2s, because they never sounded the same as other pickups with modern A5s. There is a vowel-like quality to the tone that is unique to A2 magnets that my '61's PAFs have. Now that I know that unoriented A5s exist, I'm convinced that is what I have. They really are the best of both worlds. The extra clarity of the A5 without the boomy low end. The upper mid growl with no scooping on the mids, as with a stock oriented A5. In short, I will be putting an unoriented A5 DT-102 set in this guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
    Where are these clips?
    They were from one of your pickup winding buddies ;) ...I think he was given some magnet samples from the same supplier as you?

They were from one of your pickup winding buddies ;) ...I think he was given some magnet samples from the same supplier as you?
    Okay I think I know who it is. I gave him the sample unoreitned A5 magnets if it's who I think it is. Both of us have been on a quest to find unoriented A5. I finally found a place that would do it so I sent him a test pair to try since he was having no luck finding them.