• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Anyone try Throbak Paf's yet?

fast ricky love

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
I put my name on the list and haven't heard anything so I'm assuming they haven't been shipped yet.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
These will start shipping next week. I will post the different models on my site then email everyone on the list to see which they want from the Limited line. I was waiting on some Michigan Hard Maple spacers I had custom milled for me. Those came in this week. The other item I'm still waiting on is a custom made batch of unoriented A5 magnets. Those I am still waiting on. The place is very slow in making them. But I will start filling orders that require sand cast A2 and oriented A5 next week. They won't all go out next week but I will start working my way through the list as quickly as possible.

Tuco

What is the story with unoriented A5s? I haven't heard of this. TIA.

PoorMan

What is the story with unoriented A5s? I haven't heard of this. TIA.

Many pickup makers have tried to get these with little to no luck. Apparently they were unoriented in real PAFs.

I don't know a lot about them but my understanding is the magnetic flux travels in all different directions.

kink56

Les Paul Froum Member
magnetizing them before or after they cool, oriented vs unoriented.

Buzz

All Access/Backstage Pass
I've ordered 2 sets with the limited edition nos wire, and have gotten prompt and courteous replies to email. I've got several sets of Timbuckers and a few real PAFs, I've been thru several brands of PAF type clones, such as the Dr.V Wolfetones, J.M Rolphs.

I'll tell you up front, I might just be quiet if I don't like them and sell them, but if I do like them, you'll hear from me, for whatever my opinion is worth. He's asked if they are going in a bright or dark guitar, and I than replied that I like them to have alot of bass, yet clear, not muddy and I don't like thin and bright sounding anything. This is based on one PAF I have that has those characteristics. I'd be willing to bet that many of the pickup winders could custom wind pickups close to what you describe or go a referance to a particular artist/tune. I've never ordered pickups in this manor, most of mine were bought second hand and when buying new I went with popular choice such as the "Ed A wind". This is a first though for having nos wired used, I bailed on the DMC version II option, I think there are some others that come close enough, besides they are double creams underneath.

Hopefully, Throbaks will have the cream bobbins will not be the "too pink" version that some makers use. Myself and many others have commented on this, I've heard there are only two suppliers of the bobbins used for all the manufactures of humbuckers. Tim White switched suppliers during the last months of his production, using the new improved cream bobbins, but his earlier pickups have the much pinker bobbins, I've got both. No, I don't think they nail the color of real PAF cream bobbins, but they are as close as you can get, I think they are the same as used by Seymour Duncan.

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
In all PAFs? Or only some?

Some PAF's have oriented A5 some have unoriented. They sound different and both are appropriate for PAF's.

Just to clarify what Buzz said about bobbin color. I only sell covered pickups. I do not make or market a specific bobbin color. There is one specific color that can only marketed by a certain specific maker. Gibson never marketed a specific bobbin color for humbuckers. They only sold covered humbuckers with a variety of color combinations under the cover. I and other makers can follow Gibson's lead as it relates to covered humbuckers.

Buzz

Some PAF's have oriented A5 some have unoriented. They sound different and both are appropriate for PAF's.

Just to clarify what Buzz said about bobbin color. I only sell covered pickups. I do not make or market a specific bobbin color. There is one specific color that can only marketed by a certain specific maker. Gibson never marketed a specific bobbin color for humbuckers. They only sold covered humbuckers with a variety of color combinations under the cover. I and other makers can follow Gibson's lead as it relates to covered humbuckers.

I was inquisitive about if they will be pinkish type or not, but I guess you don't think that's worth addressing? I didn't insinuate that you sell dbl. creams, or if it's o.k as long as they come with covers, but if you sell zebra's than one of them would be cream so why bring up the issue as if I started something that could get you into trouble?

Last edited:

jwalker

Les Paul Forum Sponsor
I was inquisitive about if they will be pinkish type or not, but I guess you don't think that's worth addressing? I didn't insinuate that you sell dbl. creams, or if it's o.k as long as they come with covers, but if you sell zebra's than one of them would be cream so why bring up the issue as if I started something that could get you into trouble?

No problem Buzz I just wanted to clarify. As far as bobbin color goes the supplier that sold the pinkish tinted ones has changed the color formulation. I don't think any maker that has a current stock of bobbins will have the pinkish tinted ones anymore.

TM1

Glad to hear it's coming soon! Really looking forward to VASL PAF's with the NOS wire and two different bobbin winders and un-oriented magnets.
Thanks Jon!!

Classic

Which version of the Limited sets is everyone ordering? I've gone for the Double tone's - A2 magnest neck and unorientated A5 bridge.:dude:

Buzz

I was told thru email that the website has newly updated PAF choices and descriptions, in case you have not visited lately. I'm un-decided myself, the set that is supposed to be like Greeny's is equally as tempting as the double tones.

shakti

I'm in the market for some new pickups, and these are definitely on the shortlist. Which ones would Jon or any of you other guys suggest? The guitar is an '02 R8 Historic Makeover. I think it's fairly balanced sounding, perhaps on the dark side, but quite percussive. I am going to upgrade to Pigtail hardware and stainless steel bridge posts to tighten up the bottom a little. I've currently got WCR Fillmore neck and Goooooodwood bridge. I really like the bridge pickup, it's just a tiny bit too hot and compressed, but the neck pickup is too middy sounding and too hot.

The "Peter Green" set looks interesting as I think I want a reasonably hot bridge pickup (8.5k region), but I don't want it to be too bright. I also think I want the neck PU more in the 7.5k or less region, unless I can be conviced otherwise? Does that work well with flipped magnet/out of phase middle tones?