• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Will Bone Nut give better low string definition?

Pearly Grapes

I have an R9 that is my "go to" guitar that I'd like to have a bit more low string definition.
Would a bone nut help?
How would a bone nut affect the sound/tone of the higher strings?
I'm seriously thinking of going for the bone nut, but wanted to check with you guy's experience first. Have you ever *not* liked a bone nut?

BTW, It has a great set of pickups (Holmes) & an RS kit. It has plenty of bass on the lower strings but I'd like more definition. Oh yeah, the adj polepieces are already raised above the top of the pickup.

Thanks,
PG

RamiLP

have you tried to lower the pickups on the bass side a bit?? or adjusting the EQ on the amp, or an EQ pedal?

but sorry i dont have experience with the bone nuts.

Pearly Grapes

Ramil;
I've tried those things & they did help. I just want a little "more". :)
Thanks,
PG

toxpert

I have the 'MapleFlame' steel stud modification on my bridge posts ... and the low end strings immediately gained a more piano/percussive sound.

Much more definition of tome - especially for the low strings.

There several threads about 'how to do' on this forum. This mod made a huge improvement for sound quality IMHO.

Pearly Grapes

tox;
That sounds very promising. I've read those posts. Good to hear "..especially for the low strings."
Thanks!
PG

toxpert

My R7's low end string sounded almost like a flat-wound jazz string prior to change. Now it's brighter, more dynamic. The stainless steel posts made a huge difference.

The best thing about the change is that it's reversible.

Of note - I used screws that were long enough to 'bottom out' in the bridge stud holes. I then cut off the tops of the screws so that the studs were below the top surface of the mounted ABR bridge.

While you're at it ... check out your bridge saddles. You want the saddle to rest firmly on the top surface of the ABR. If adjustment screwholes are too low or too high, you can end up with saddles that do not firmly sit on the ABR. If you saddles don't fit right... you've got compromised transmission of vibrational energy...and loss of tone.

ant_riv

+1 on the "mapleflame" stainless steel bridge post mod.

Huge improvement in tone, clarity and definition, and as mentioned, if you don't like it, you can easily go back.

I also have a bone nut, but it replaced a brass nut, so I don't know if my experience there will be helpful.

Cream Fan

As Paul Reed Smith has been quoted as saying: "Everything affects everything." That being said, I went with a Nylon nut on my R9 both before my Historic Makeover and after, and I think it was one of the key ingredients in how the guitar sounded. After all, your strings' speaking length rests on the nut and the saddles, so their tone will be influenced by whatever material they're made from. Prior to the HM treatment, when I went from a bone nut to the Nylon 6 nut, I immediately noticed the tone opening up. The Historic Makeovers Package A that my R9 went through was even more radical in changing the tone, but I stuck with a Nylon nut, this time an NOS Nylon 6/4 nut from RS Guitarworks. I really feel this puts my guitar even closer to that elusive Burst tone. So, the long and the short of it is: do whatever sounds best for you. That means experimentation. A bone nut might sound best to you, or it might not. This what I discovered for me, and it's also what was used in the 50s on the original Bursts.

Pearly Grapes

Cream Fan;
I agree "Everything affects everything". As my local guitar tech guy said "How can it NOT affect the tone?" And he knows his stuff.

Very interesting about the nylon nut. I hadn't thought about one of those.
Hmmmm,
PG

Last edited:

ES Blonde

+1 on the Mapleflame mod.

A pro setup makes a guitar feel great. The steel bridge pins just make the tone right somehow. The cost is not even an issue, its reversable and takes no more than half an hour.

sundaypunch

Not to state the obvious, but a bone nut is only going to make a difference on the open strings. Once you fret the note the nut material becomes a non-issue.

I am a fan of bone nuts but you need to be realistic with your expectations. You are going to hear a much more noticeable change with the other mod's people have mentioned (studs, tailpiece, pickup adjustments, etc.).

qcvol

I have a 1988 red wine LP. When I had a tech set it up I told the tech to replace the nut because it was shot. He recommended a nylon nut. After that the circuit board PUPs were replaced with WCR crossroads. I can't say the nylon nut made much of an audible difference but the WCRs did. Are the stainless steel studs a remove and replace change?

GO VOLS,
Mark

jpap

Also maybe to lower the tailpiece in the low side, in order to put more pressure? On my R9 (though with .011-.050s) a mm change causes a clear-to-hear difference.

RamiLP

Prior to the HM treatment, when I went from a bone nut to the Nylon 6 nut, I immediately noticed the tone opening up. The Historic Makeovers Package A that my R9 went through was even more radical in changing the tone, but I stuck with a Nylon nut, this time an NOS Nylon 6/4 nut from RS Guitarworks.

my LP is at the tech for a full setup and im having them install one of those RSguitarworks nuts on my LP, ill report back when i get it

RamiLP

well got the guitar back today, and i really dont notice any differene in the tone of the open strings with the new nut, but the setup is great and the action is very low, but i havnt spent that much time playing the guitar yet, ill see if i hear anything more during this week. altho i did install a an RS light weight TP on the guitar and i think that gave alot mroe effect on the tone than the nut. and the guitar sounds more airy and a but more vintagey or old wood you can call it i guess, it just sounds more crisp, it feels like it has added more twang to the guitar in which i like,