• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Old wood = good wood

generankin

I've got me a 1942 SJ that's been rode hard & put away wet. Previous owners have stripped off the sunburst, filled top cracks, put a new back on it (several of these previous owners had bought the guitar from me, did the "work", then defaulted on paying, so I repoed it), and I had it shoved back in a closet for years. Played my new-in-1973 Alvarez-Yairi copy of a herringbone and was a happy bunny. Then I was cleaning out the closet, found the old Gibson with a ding in the upper bout, so I hauled it off to get fixed. A year later (the guy's slow, but pretty good) I got it home and played it.

Revelation: Even being beat-up, 66-year-old axe, probably made from some of the last pre-war wood Gibson had on hand, leaves a damned-good Martin copy in the dust! :wow

wooderson

I had a 1943 Epiphone Olympic that had been left in a garage for years, owned by a mechanic, covered in motor oil.

Once the oil residue got removed, "shaved off" was actually more like it, that guitar was an F-bomb of an instrument before it was stolen.

keef

Not a Gibson, but...

Bought a 1890s Washburn as a wall hanger at a guitar show. Somebody had painted over the entire top, likely to cover a number of ugly splint repairs.

When I strung it up at home I was amazed by the tone. I then had the top stripped and French polished. Great sounding guitar, despite about 5-6 large top cracks.

I later got an 1885 Washburn - completely crack free, and even better sounding.

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
My 1954 LG-1 sounds sweeeet sweet sweet. Talk about blues!!
Everything is original and in good nick apart from a later bridge (some time in the 70's most likely) and lefty nut.

It's lefty converted, but an easily reversible procedure.

LG-1_54_0274.jpg

/GV

plaintop

'42 was one of the absolute best years for Gibson Flattops. That's a nice player. Looks like a Sitka top.

AtomEve

Les Paul Forum Member
Just beautiful!!!!!

Here's my Flat top harem!

50 D-28, 52 J-45, 56 J-45 and 37 L-00!

:dude:

4flats1.JPG

TM1

Is the 1942 a "Banner" headstock? BTW, that book is a pretty good read. Seems odd though that even to this day Gibson will not admit they made any guitars between 1942 till 1946