• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

TP-6? ? ?

CLAYPOOL

I'm thinking a TP-6 with fine tuners for my 355....

Is this a good idea, has anyone been happy with it or is it gonna change the tone????:hmm

Hamerfan

I had a 82 ES 347 which came stock with a Schaller TP-6, i liked it very much. Its great if you can fine tune while playing. Quite comfortable

moonweasel

I love em.

I wouldnt use them in a studio, where precise tone matters as much. As a gigging tool on an LP, they are AWESOME. Once the drums kick in, the slight difference goes away. (My opinion only. :) )

Desertdawg

Complete crap.......I had one on a 335 that enhanced the tone. Of course, "your mileage may be different."

Think about this though.....the tone component of the bridge / tailpiece assembly is 90% bridge.

Kap'n

I don't know about tone.

I do know they're ugly, and the casting is pretty nasty. I've got one in my junk box.

Plugger

hey, good enuf for Larry, gud enuf 4 me.

a494_1_sbl.JPG

Dino_k

I like them and have not noticed any change in tone. However, the little screws do corride, particularly if you have slightly acidic sweat, and replacements are hard to find. Also they do not fit on every Gibson tailpiece stud, some of which have too narrow for the thicker casting of the TP6.

Esmiralha

Really? Wow, I always dreamed of a tailpiece that would suck my... wait, oh, you meant Tone...

Texas Blues

My first LP, a '78 Pro, came with a TP-6. Guitar weigh's over 9 pounds and loaded with P90's. Did the TP-6 suck tone? Absolutely not. I never liked the looks of the thang and replaced it with the standard LP tailpiece. The difference? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. I found I spent far less time tweeking the dang thang and more time playing. Standard tuners are all I need.

Cheers, TB.

moonweasel

What is there to spend a whole lot of time "tweaking"? I dont understand. You are either in tune or not regardless of whether you are using fine tuners or regular tuners.

Texas Blues

Moon as you stated, either you are in tune or not. With the TP-6, when I got the guitar, there was some kind of subliminal brain fart going on that told me that because there were tuners AND fine tuners, one just HAD to fuck with the 'thang because surely...it couldn't be in tune with just the regular tuners alone. I have since reformed and given up snorting laundry detergent and the TP-6 and have no further psychological issues.

Cheers, TB.

Stiggs

I slapped a first year TP-6 on a 70's Custom, had it on there for probably 20 yrs. Found the orig TP and put it on when I changed strings, the TP-6 does effect the tone...IT SOUNDS BETTER WITH THE TP-6 THAN WITH THE ORIG., to me. YMMV,
OC & Stiggs