• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Vibrato masters

Jack

Gary Moore may be the most interesting Vibrato master simply because he is left handed. If you have never wondered just how your own playing technique would have developed if your Mother had handed you a left handed guitar, as a young child, then clearly you are not as curious as I am....

Duane was a lefty as well.

The Wedge

First note of You Shook Me All Night Long's solo is the perfect vibrato for me. I've been trying to nail that note the way he did on the record for 20 years and I still can't get it right. Granted, even Angus doesn't play it the same live... But still.

Strings

Interesting thing...

One of BB's main heros, T-Bone Walker, never shook a string... no vibrato whatsoever. B's cousin, Bukka White, was a country bluesman who did the National/slide thing and BB wanted to emulate that. Trying to copy his cousin's vibrato without a slide is where BB got his warble from.

Here's my list, it's kinda short:

1. BB. Everyone else is just copying.

When B' made his first record, Freddie King was in grade school, Albert was playing country blues on a homemade guitar and the "real" Otis Rush... that would be Ike Turner, was only playing piano.

This is facinating. So BB was the first to bring the sound of great blues guitar with vibrato to a record?

Ace139

Seems like we have named just about everybody that plays guitar on this thread.

Maybe we should think about who has a terrible Vibrato?