• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Son wants to learn to play the Bass Guitar.

Last LP

I know nothing about the Bass.

Where should he start? What would be a good Bass & amp for a beginner. He's 11 years old & I really want to encourage him with this & start him off with a decent guitar that he will want to play & play & play.

I'd love some ideas, suggestions about something for a beginner, amp choices the whole set up.

I hope I'm posting this in the right place, or for that matter even in the right forum. Are Bass Guitars discussed here? I haven't been a member here for too long & my main interest is in the Les Pauls.

If this is the wrong place would someone please direct me to a good forum for the help I'm looking for.

Many many thanks guys & gals. :2zone

MRTONEMAN

this thread is going to get moved.. but before it does...
just get him a used Fender Precision Bass.
The mexico ones should run about $250 on craiglist.

for an amp, he is a beginner and will be playing low,
so start him off with some cheap guitar amp u ALREADY have around.

If he quits ... u can always get your money back on that bass.

sgtJoe

My son started when he was 9, I got him a small scale acoustic, then a Fender Mustang. It would be good to learn guitar as well as bass since they are so closely related and he'll be better able to interact with other players if he's more familiar with both instruments.

There are so many good choices available, any good music store can get him started at a very reasonable cost. Just don't m,ake tha same mistake a lot of parents make by over-spenmding without knowing just how far he is going with it. Look at it like sports, baseball, fishing, hunting, motorcycles, etc. or any other hobby a child is just starting with, go slow and adjust his "tools" as he progresses.

R

R9.

Fender Squire? I've seen bass/amp combos that weren't too expensive.

Last LP

Thanks for all the replies & advice!

Really appreciate the help. It has definitely got me a direction to follow now. :salude

Sorry for posting this in the wrong place.

surfreak

If he's 11yo, perhaps a short scale bass like the Squier Bronco is a good choice.

okiegibson

Good excuse to pick up a used Gibson SG reissue bass, short scale and easy to play. My 8 yr old has no problems playing it. You'll also love playing it.

Don

I like the MIM Fender Standards. I have a Jazz Bass that is great to play, sounds good and was fairly priced. It's a very solid guitar.

Depending on his size, a typical 11 year old these days, doesn't require a short scale bass.

opdev

I got a nice MIM P-bass for $275.

I bought an Ashdown compo practice amp for $169 I think. Line 6 also makes some cool little bass amps with effects, etc.

I learned guitar with a POD so maybe a Bass pod and headphones.

There has got to be a nice online site for learning bass. I learned guitar with the Emedia CD's about 10 years ago. Then I moved into lessons with some really good local players.

The POD and the computer were a good way to focus on learning my 1st year.

Here is the amp I got (sound nice, not overly loud)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Perfect-Ten-10-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485039

Allen Collins

Don,t want to be a party pooper but please tell him the guitarist gets all the girls!!
My parents gave me a trombone at 8 years until 15 when I kicked up a storm. Believe me, you can,t pull the ladys with a trombone and not with a base either unless, your "with the band".
At a "party", try pulling out a trombone or a base for a singalong?
Guitarists rule:dude:
Cheers.
Allen.

garywright

he should play pretty well by now ..happy 21st birthday ? :bday:

rp12

I would recommend to start from drums. It is very important to understand and feel the rhythm. You can buy the cheapest option on the market. Check some models here https://handpanguru.com. If he will not like drums, I think he should not start playing a bass guitar at all. But that is my opinion.

garywright

I would recommend to start from drums. It is very important to understand and feel the rhythm. You can buy the cheapest option on the market. Check some models here https://handpanguru.com. If he will not like drums, I think he should not start playing a bass guitar at all. But that is my opinion.

Huh ? ..he don’t need you dang bedpan shell ..plus he’s an adult by now

greveost

Huh ? ..he don’t need you dang bedpan shell ..plus he’s an adult by now

Haha, yeah that was pretty lame.

On a serious note, it would be interesting to hear what happened to his son, if he is is still playing the bass or if he got into playing something else