• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can I run a 2061x head into the 1974cx cab?

burgandyburst

The 2061cx cab is 2x12 and 8 ohms. The 1974cx is 1x12 and 16 ohms. I'm never quite sure with cabs, as I usually play combos. Would this work?

Anyone care to venture how it might sound?

Esmiralha

I wouldn't do it if your amp doesn't have an impedance selector to match the exact impedance of the cab.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

3th3r

Just set the impedance selector in the rear of the 2061 to 16ohms.

torger

I wouldn't do it if your amp doesn't have an impedance selector. An 8 ohms head pushing a 16 ohms cab is asking for trouble. You can sometimes get away with the opposite: a higher impedance pushing a lower impedance cab.

Hope it helps.

allways heard the opposite.

this is what legendarytones.com says about it:

When running at 100 watts with all four tubes in the head, the rule of thumb to remember with impedance settings is that the amplifier’s ohm load must NOT exceed the load of the speaker cabinet. That is, don’t ever run a Super Lead head at 16 ohms into an 8 ohm cabinet as it puts a strain on the head and could damage it. It is quite o.k. however to do the opposite. An 8 ohm (or even a 4 ohm) head setting into a 16 ohm cabinet will just produce less output power but will not damage the head.

(http://www.legendarytones.com/ttmarsha.html)

trgr:)

kwaehner

The 1974x does indeed feature a 16 ohm speaker, so you'll need set the 2061x to 16 ohms with the impedance selector on the rear and you're golden. That's a great speaker, I think you'll dig the tones with that combo. I had both amps for a while, and used to do it all the time.

Just watch your wattage - I don't recall how much power that single speaker can handle, and you'd hate to blow it. I used to use a (moderately set) attenuator when I ran that combo, just to be safe.

Enjoy!

burgandyburst

Thanks for all the info guys. I always get confused with ohms. I forgot about being able to switch the impedance selector.

I think I'm going to go for it and will have to fill you in with the results.

Mondoslug

You can go 8 ohm head into a 16 ohm cab...I prefer some things like that. It's the other way that's supposed to be a no-no.

keef

I wouldn't do it if your amp doesn't have an impedance selector. An 8 ohms head pushing a 16 ohms cab is asking for trouble. You can sometimes get away with the opposite: a higher impedance pushing a lower impedance cab.

Hope it helps.

That is wrong and dangerous advice man. If yer not 100% sure why post a reply?

Esmiralha

Ouch, ouch, ouch... You are 100% correct... I have a book that I use as reference everytime I want to clarify the impedance mismatch issue (my memory is a dangerous thing) and regretfully I didnt check it this time. I apologize to the original poster and sincerely hope that no harm was done.

P.Walker

That is wrong and dangerous advice man. If yer not 100% sure why post a reply?

You're the wrong one in this case I'm afraid.

*disclaimer: The advice below applies to only tube amps. For solid state amps generally apply the reverse, but for details I suggest you go elsewhere.

As it pertains to our application of tube driven amplifiers,

In an ideal case, the impedance of both head and cab would be matched. That's a given.

In some cases, we can't or just simply forget to.

Before some guy comes and says, "Hey the old Fender amps were fine." Well that's because they could handle what's called fly-back voltage.

A head with 8ohm impedance plugged into a 16ohm cab is dangerous because of flyback voltage and its potential to damage the OT. The most analogous explanation is that water squirted out of a stronger hose going into a lesser accommodating container is going to shoot right back out...and into the OT. If the iron is strong enough (like some older big fender amps) fine, if not, it's not something I suggest. Now if you like THAT tone, I can't argue with you. In fact, Mesa Boogie says you can do it for the tone, but they have overengineered trannys so it's okay. Damage from flyback voltage is not reversible.

Now, a 16ohm head into an 8ohm cab also has a drawback, but not as serious as the above scenario. The best way to explain it is this: the 8ohm wants to "see" the appropriate power as suggested by the lower impedance, and basically forces the output tubes of the head to work harder, ie. wear out faster.

Now, if you HAD to mismatch (but 2061x reissues have an impedance selector so why would you!) the latter would be better in terms of serviceability. Power tubes or OT? Your choice.

Sorry for the necro bump but I had to mention it

P.Walker

The other answer to your part of the question, one related to whether you can run 20 watt head into a 20watt rating cabinet (speaker)...

for low level playing, no problem....

but the 2061x sounds best when moving some air, and if you like the speaker distortion, I can't argue against that, but the 2061 sounds best loud into a higher wattage cabinet speaker configuration.

corpse

Mike Slubowski refers to it a "a little Plexi 100 watt"- to paraphrase. It likes to be up past 1 o'clock.

P.Walker

Mike Slubowski refers to it a "a little Plexi 100 watt"- to paraphrase. It likes to be up past 1 o'clock.

Yup: )

If I can't get both channels on 10 and jumpered, I set the lead channel to tone 8 volume 8, bass channel tone 10 volume 7, and that gives me a great crunch-clean base for a pedalboard/fuzzface.

Wally

You're the wrong one in this case I'm afraid.

*disclaimer: The advice below applies to only tube amps. For solid state amps generally apply the reverse, but for details I suggest you go elsewhere.

As it pertains to our application of tube driven amplifiers,

In an ideal case, the impedance of both head and cab would be matched. That's a given.

In some cases, we can't or just simply forget to.

Before some guy comes and says, "Hey the old Fender amps were fine." Well that's because they could handle what's called fly-back voltage.

A head with 8ohm impedance plugged into a 16ohm cab is dangerous because of flyback voltage and its potential to damage the OT. The most analogous explanation is that water squirted out of a stronger hose going into a lesser accommodating container is going to shoot right back out...and into the OT. If the iron is strong enough (like some older big fender amps) fine, if not, it's not something I suggest. Now if you like THAT tone, I can't argue with you. In fact, Mesa Boogie says you can do it for the tone, but they have overengineered trannys so it's okay. Damage from flyback voltage is not reversible.

Now, a 16ohm head into an 8ohm cab also has a drawback, but not as serious as the above scenario. The best way to explain it is this: the 8ohm wants to "see" the appropriate power as suggested by the lower impedance, and basically forces the output tubes of the head to work harder, ie. wear out faster.

Now, if you HAD to mismatch (but 2061x reissues have an impedance selector so why would you!) the latter would be better in terms of serviceability. Power tubes or OT? Your choice.

Sorry for the necro bump but I had to mention it

+1 with the caveat that we are dealing with tube amps here. Solid state is another discussion.

RE: matched impedances.....agreed....this yields the safest and most efficient formula.
Larger load than the OT's impedance.....this is the situation that can lead to flyback voltage that damages the secondary windings in the OT....especially if the amp is pushed hard.
Smaller load than the OT's impedance.....this puts the power tubes at risk since it puts stress there. Power tube failure could lead to other problems.

Fender amps provided for a 50% mismatch to the lowside.....ie...a 4 ohm TR was provided for the situation of running a 2 ohm load by adding an external 4 ohm load in parallel with the internal speaker load. One might suppose that the design provided for this...probably through the specs for the OT, right?
Boogies....most Boogies provide jacks for matched loads. For instance, the MK amps I have owned and seen have on 8 ohm jack and two 4 ohm jacks. An 8 ohm load is to be run through that 8 ohm jack. IF one wants to run two 8 ohm loads in parallel for a total load of 4 ohms, then the two 4 ohm jacks are used. IN the combos, that means that the internal speaker cable needs to be moved to one of the 4 ohm jacks.....leaving that 8 ohm jack empty. Teh manuals on those MK amps call for a matched load. IIRc, there is at least one Boogie whose manual indicates that a mismatch is allowed. I do not recall which Boogie that is.
Vintage big Marshalls had a switch for 4, 8 or 16 ohm taps....with 4 jacks. One could if wanted run 4 16ohm cabs out of those 4 jacks with the impedance selector set for a 4 ohm load....or 2 x 16 ohm cabs with the 8 ohm selector position.....or one 16 ohm cab on one of the jacks....with the selector set at 16 ohms. Marshall obviously intended the users to run matched loads.

P.Walker

+1 with the caveat that we are dealing with tube amps here. Solid state is another discussion....

RE: matched impedances.....agreed....Marshall obviously intended the users to run matched loads.

Yes! Thanks for the even better and detailed explanation :)