• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

PRS Dragon II pu´s

Lindgren

Has anyone tried the PRS Dragon II pickups in a Les Paul ?
There are not much to read about these pickups at the prs webpage, i dont even no which kind of magnet there is or if they are hot, medium or vintage wound.

The reason for this question is that im sick waiting for my new DiMarzio Paf´s to arrive to the Swedish dealer, maybe in september they said.
Just bought a set of used Dragon II pu´s so i could get rid of the two big wooden holes staring at me when im opening the case.

mono

as far as i know they are wound for PRS by lindy fralin. give em a shot. i had a set in an SG and they had good sound, the note accuracy didnt do it for me.

Señor Verde

My cousin had a Dragon II in a Les Paul. Dirty or distorted it sounded pretty good, not so much clean though. I'm guessing since you are waiting for some PAF copies you won't like them in the long term, but they should be okay to get you by.

The Dragon II is fairly hot and if my memory is correct, it uses alnico V magnets.

jpap

Yes sir! I took them off from my Custom22 around March to three of my LPs just for testing (since I was not using the PRS that much at the time). Well, slightly darker than BBs (and obviously more than BB pros...), not that much hotter. Bridge had a nice punch, especially on my LPCustom, neck was pretty "round" voiced (on every LP), but all in all, both have a more "modern" PAF sounding (think 490 series, but with a more refined, precise sound). Not bad at all, just not as vintage as PAF clones. For instance, the "Vintage bass" (to find on Custom 24s) is a way more vintage sounding pup. Very very well in crunched and distorted tones, though. They offer a wider, more modern spectrum.
Dr-IIs sound definitely Alnico. Somewhere in the PRS page is verified that they are, too..
As a result, I liked them more on the PRS. I guess Dr-IIs are especially voiced for the (longer scaled) PRSs.
Last not least, high quality built! No microphonics, no squeals, no noises, and the pole screws allow VERY precise balance between the strings. Didn't take off a Dr-II's screw, but I think they might have a different pitch than usual PAF-styled Gibsons, Duncans, etc. This is a small (yet important, TMO) detail, that other production pups dream of...

Lindgren

Good evening folks.

Today i have put in the PRS Dragon II pickups and jpap`s review say´s pretty much all there is to say about the pu´s.
The bridge pu is medium hot and slightly darker then a Burstbucker, sounds a bit like a 498T but a little less output, it needs to sit fairly close to the strings.

The neck pu is more vintage sounding, very warm and fat, but the usuall LP problem with a too bassy and boomy neck pu appears immiditely.
I had to lower it pretty much to get it balanced with the bridge pu.
Its almost to fat and warm.

None of these pickups sounded escpecially good with a clean sound, distorted and crunch they are great.
But they are very very quiet, seems to be very well potted.
No hum or what so ever.

2a.jpg

sixty2strat

Did the reverse : Had a PRS and thought is was a nice pup for preamp od ...ala boogie. JMP marshalls I felt were a poor match, the natural tube oD and using the volume knob. the result was alway shrill to me, and clean was brittle n shrill. I took the pups out and put in a set of T tops in.. MAJOR improvement. In the end I sold the gutar it was neithe firsh nor fowl ....fender nor Gibson. It occupied a middle ground that left unsatisifed. So IMO prs pups might not give your the sound you want for a Gibson ....unless your looking for a different thing, beware

Lindgren

So IMO prs pups might not give your the sound you want for a Gibson ....unless your looking for a different thing, beware

Thats for sure, it´s not the sound i was looking for, not the typical warm singing Pafish sound that i want, more of a modern type of pickup.
But i will have these pu´s in the guitar untill i lay my hands of a set of DiMarzio 36th Anniversary Paf´s.

Drawrein

Just fyi, PRS did the neat little trick of making their PUs with reverse polarity to Gibson. Keep that in mind if you want to mix them. I found out the hard way. I bought a '57 Classic to put in the bridge of my PRS Hollowbody.

D

Lindgren

Just fyi, PRS did the neat little trick of making their PUs with reverse polarity to Gibson. Keep that in mind if you want to mix them. I found out the hard way. I bought a '57 Classic to put in the bridge of my PRS Hollowbody.

D

Thanx for letting me know but i have no intention keeping these pickup´s.
As a matter of fact, they are already for sale. :rofl

codyfarmer

I really loved them in my PRS Custom 24, interesting to know they're built to a reverse polarity to Gibson.

That happens when the company sues you over product imitation. Try to really put it to em by making your kick ass pu's not match with some Les Paul's. lol