• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

P90 suggestions?

Bluefinger

I am planning to replace the P90s in my Goldtop. The ones I have are pretty hot and aggressive sounding. Which aftermarket P90s would give me a fat punchy that has bite but without any harshness? I play west coast style blues BTW.
Any other mods suggested? 300k pots, different caps, ... ?

thanks!

ptrickamp222

Call Lindy Fralin and ask him what you are looking for. I use his PAF''s and P-90's. Screamers without the harsh bite. I use stock neck and 10% over bridge on a TV Special/Single Cut. If I did it again I would use a 5% under neck. Didn't listen. Learned the hard way like everything else. The 15% difference would be perfect for the middle position for phase cancel. My 2 Cents.......

rockabilly69

SHED Pickups made by Spencer Mumford. Great vintage P90's, great guy. I also agree about the -5% neck/+10% bridge!

Trennasol

Also consider Jason Lollar's 50's Wind pups. I don't think they're on his website, but email him. I've got them in my R4 and I'm very happy with them.

Goldtop_GAS

Also consider Jason Lollar's 50's Wind pups. I don't think they're on his website, but email him. I've got them in my R4 and I'm very happy with them.
+1. I've got them in my R6 and love 'em. As for pots and caps, I've got RS/CTS pots and Luxe Grey Tigers in the same guitar. Also a huge improvement.

Bluefinger

Thanks for the suggestions! It seems like Lollars and Fralins are the popular choices.

I'll check them out ...

Goldtop_GAS

Thanks for the suggestions! It seems like Lollars and Fralins are the popular choices.

I'll check them out ...

I have tried both. Both pickups are good stuff. I think it comes down to what you're looking for in a pickup. The Fralins I had, had stock bridge and 10% under. I found that they sounded somewhat similar to the stock pickups in my stock '58 es-225, which are a bit too hot for my taste. The Lollars 50s wind sounded a bit sweeter than the Fralins. I didn't have the Fralins in the guitar long enough to get them dialed in, so this may not be a fair comparison. The first thing I noticed about the Lollars were the overtones that I had not heard from the guitar with the stock pickups. The Lollars are the "it" pickups for me. These pickups are never going to leave this guitar!

I've got a Historic '54 Black Beauty on the way. If I don't like the stock bridge pickup, I am thinking of sending it to Shed pickups for a rewind..

straightblues

Be careful of what you get because the Gibson P90's are really shallow and most aftermarkets will require a little bit of routing. It is really minor routing, but many people are afraid of pulling out any wood from their guitar. If I had to do it over again, I would have just sent in the stock pickups for a rewind instead of buying aftermarket pickups.

Don

Call Lindy Fralin and ask him what you are looking for. I use his PAF''s and P-90's. Screamers without the harsh bite. I use stock neck and 10% over bridge on a TV Special/Single Cut. If I did it again I would use a 5% under neck. Didn't listen. Learned the hard way like everything else. The 15% difference would be perfect for the middle position for phase cancel. My 2 Cents.......

You can have Fralin (or anyone who's good with pickups) take some windings off of your neck pickup.
Hell, I took a bunch of windings off of my Fralin Strat pickups myself!