• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VINTAGE LES PAUL CASES INFO

agogetr

While I keep the original cases for my vintage Les Pauls, I never keep the guitars in them. Not protective enough. Late 70's Gibson [Gen 1] Protector cases are still my favorite. :)
tom is the gen 1 the bulkier one that has the real latches? that would be my fave too. although mine the big plastic 'gibson' logo fell off.
theres a guy online that sells the plastic latches that always break on the later ones, i need a few need to find him again. i have a couple of those cases where people added latches from a hardware store after the plastic ones broke. that was a weak point but other than that those were great cases. didnt they run over one with a truck in the add for them?
reminds me though one time my brother let his girlfriend drive his 53 chevy pickup when they were going to a gig she wrecked totaled the truck his 55 junior flew 200 feet in a protector case. they got a ride and got to the gig he started tuning and the neck at the headstock was broken. he didnt know how because the guitar fit so snug in the case. it was a drag. he hotrodded it with 2 humbuckers a khaler and grovers, all gold hardware. still has it. (he isnt known for always doing what other folks deem as the right thing to do). i actually love that thing hot rodded

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
tom is the gen 1 the bulkier one that has the real latches? that would be my fave too. although mine the big plastic 'gibson' logo fell off.
theres a guy online that sells the plastic latches that always break on the later ones,...

No, the smaller one with the plastic latches is far superior for protection and for carrying.
Those latches have lasted me almost 40 years. You just have to use them correctly. :ganz

Capt Brad

No, the smaller one with the plastic latches is far superior for protection and for carrying.
Those latches have lasted me almost 40 years. You just have to use them correctly. :ganz

Best Gibson case Gen1 gets my vote!
59848121_2360308974206337_423867839951142912_n.jpg

agogetr

the bulky one is the later one! the case looked bigger and more primitive so i assumed it was the earlier one.
i just remember not worrying as much about those metal latches when mine came along. i already had some gen 2 ones prior to that.
actually the one i have had the longest still has its latches. the other 2 came to me with missing or replaced latches.
i do try to be easy on latches. especially fender cases with the sliding button.
i think i grew fond of my gen 3 partially because of the blue lining!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
the bulky one is the later one! the case looked bigger and more primitive so i assumed it was the earlier one.
i just remember not worrying as much about those metal latches when mine came along. i already had some gen 2 ones prior to that.
actually the one i have had the longest still has its latches. the other 2 came to me with missing or replaced latches.
i do try to be easy on latches. especially fender cases with the sliding button.
i think i grew fond of my gen 3 partially because of the blue lining!

I have never heard of a Gen 3 Protector case! Please post a photo. :hmm

Here are the Gen 1 [smaller] and Gen 2 [larger] protector cases:

917_p22004.jpg

917_p22003.jpg

agogetr

my computer isnt allowing me to reply? anywhoos realising i am confused with the timeline for the protector cases i googled and found a video with a seemingly knowledgable guy explaining the cases.
he called the first one that only had 2 latches gen 1 and the one with 3 latches gen 2 and the big one with metal latches gen 3.
of course i always remember what my 7 year old said 'and dont you dare tell me all of those people on the internet are wrong!'

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
On this Forum [where I think the terms Gen 1 and Gen 2 originated], a Gen 1 [smaller case] can be 2 or 3 latch, while the Gen 2 [larger case] has the metal latches. :)

toxpert

If you find one of these cases and one or more latches are broken...replacements are still made.
Search for “plastic living hinge draw latch”. You will find them on the internet and on eBay.

The latches are relatively easy to replace and mount with pop rivets.

agogetr

On this Forum [where I think the terms Gen 1 and Gen 2 originated], a Gen 1 [smaller case] can be 2 or 3 latch, while the Gen 2 [larger case] has the metal latches. :)
actually gen 1 gen 2 etc etc originated in the car indusrty! :hmm

BCR/Greg

Les Paul Forum Member and Host of Guitar Shop
actually gen 1 gen 2 etc etc originated in the car indusrty! :hmm

I was led to believe that gun cases made by the oem manufacturer of Gen 1 cases influenced the guitar cases.

GuitarsorGolf?

I have a vintage Les Paul case for sale and through a facebook post that generated 119 comments, it was narrowed down to a very early 1968 Black Beauty or maybe Gold Top if you wanted to upgrade from the oblong case.

Whilst very grateful for the input in identifying it I have still not seen another '68 case with the Gibson star, metal tag.

Any further input would be appreciated, especially from anyone who can produce a photo of a case with similar features.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/37043836-vintage-gibson-les-paul-case-1968-68-60-s

vsobo

Thank you Mike Slub for sharing with our members this new album on Lilypix featuring much requested photos and info about vintage Les Paul cases!:dude:

Click this link guys! :)
Vintage Les Paul Cases
Thank you Mike Slub for sharing with our members this new album on Lilypix featuring much requested photos and info about vintage Les Paul cases!:dude:

Click this link guys! :)
Vintage Les Paul Cases
Thanks Mile Slub for sharing. Can anyone give me suggestions about where to get a replacement handle for my brown 1958 Les Paul four latch case.

TM1

Mike; Hi! What did they use for Melody Makers? I have two 1960 Melody Makers (single cutaway)

buyusfear

I re-read this thread and couldn't see any discussion specifically around case handle color.
Typically we're accustomed to seeing the stock blue color handle, under the brown paint; however some other color's, such as white were also used.

Was this just a random thing like double white PAF's, or does anyone know if that followed any timelines?

S. Weiger

I re-read this thread and couldn't see any discussion specifically around case handle color.
Typically we're accustomed to seeing the stock blue color handle, under the brown paint; however some other color's, such as white were also used.

Was this just a random thing like double white PAF's, or does anyone know if that followed any timelines?
Yes it is my understanding that Lifton ran out of blue sometime in the 50's and had to use white for a period. It makes no difference in the guitar's tone I am told. ✌️ 😁