• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VINTAGE LES PAUL CASES INFO

(urlym@ple

Could anyone please take a picture of a lifton and a reissue lifton on top of one another, and/or a black reissue historic case as well, or post over all dimensions?
I'm looking to see how similar or close the dimensions are between the two.

Thnx

...no measurements but their really close; older ones were a LOT lighter (7lbs 3ounces) and the new one pictured (10 + lbs) if that helps :salude
4B8AEBEF-7ED7-48AB-918D-CF5F34871E3A-13282-000010852104A3E2_zps10626445.jpg

F645EFDE-9CEE-4A91-8D33-931493567D6D-13282-000010850261720C_zps73545cb6.jpg

A97202F6-3E47-44C4-B36E-4477A8E5DC0F-13282-00001084EFFF28FB_zpsdb47ce56.jpg

eb8bce08.jpg

(urlym@ple

I prefer the brown/darker brown interior one TW had posted awhile back with o'ring inside and around the perimeter of the guitar. looks to be a well fit case for LP.

I just cant think of the name...:hippy

DANELECTRO

Could anyone please take a picture of a lifton and a reissue lifton on top of one another, and/or a black reissue historic case as well, or post over all dimensions?
I'm looking to see how similar or close the dimensions are between the two.

Thnx

I guess I haven't opened this thread in a couple years, but here's a late reply to an old request:

LiftonCaseCompare013.jpg

LiftonCaseCompare009.jpg

LiftonCaseCompare010.jpg

LiftonCaseCompare005.jpg

LiftonCaseCompare017.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The RI Liftons are cool looking and are fairly faithful in appearance to the originals. The most notable difference is the weight. The RI case weighs almost twice as much as the original.

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
The question that's always bugged me, is that since Gibson had cases that fit Les Pauls already, what was the purpose of the "Cali-Girl" case anyway? They always looked like they were designed to fit something else, and were used because they would accommodate a Les Paul. Any one know the answer to this, other than "because it's Gibson".

sunburstfettish

I've seen 2 of the brown FLATTOP Cali cases years ago, and was told that they were optional upgrades for the TVs and Specials....any truth to that or were they for really early Goldtops?

david.beason

Wow, I did not know that LP Customs came in black cases!

Does any one know the difference between these and the 68 LP Cases?

Great Job Mike!

What a great thread! :jim

Sorry for replying to a very old post, but I've been trying to research this very question as of late. They look very similar with the yellow interior, etc.

From what I've noticed (just from pics online), it seems that the second latch on the '50s Custom case is lined up just barely to the left of the neck support if you're looking at it from the side, with the "Gibson" badge to the left of that (not quite centered with the storage area). On the late '60s cases, this latch seems to be shifted farther to the left (maybe 1-2 inches) and there is usually no "Gibson" badge. Can anyone confirm that this is a fairly consistent difference? Are there any others?

Here's a comparison from the same source of a '55 and a '69, I believe...

Gibson56LP_Cst614758_4.jpg

Gibson69LPCstEB564229_4.jpg

Kris Ford

What a great thread! :jim

Sorry for replying to a very old post, but I've been trying to research this very question as of late. They look very similar with the yellow interior, etc.

From what I've noticed (just from pics online), it seems that the second latch on the '50s Custom case is lined up just barely to the left of the neck support if you're looking at it from the side, with the "Gibson" badge to the left of that (not quite centered with the storage area). On the late '60s cases, this latch seems to be shifted farther to the left (maybe 1-2 inches) and there is usually no "Gibson" badge. Can anyone confirm that this is a fairly consistent difference? Are there any others?

Here's a comparison from the same source of a '55 and a '69, I believe...

Gibson56LP_Cst614758_4.jpg

Gibson69LPCstEB564229_4.jpg

Totally different cases and manufacturers would be my guess.
The interior colors actually differ greatly, and the Tolex is smoother on the '69 case, with different grain, plus different handles and hardware..

TM1

I know it's not a Fifties case, but what era is the black with purple lining? I want to say late `60's, but..
Thanks!

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I know it's not a Fifties case, but what era is the black with purple lining? I want to say late `60's, but..
Thanks!

Pretty sure those came out starting around 1970, although hopefully someone else who knows will chime in.
The 68s were black with yellow/gold lining.

Slowhands

Cool reference. Just a comment, the faux alligator skin chipboard case is stated to have come with early 60s juniors. I had a 1961 SG special that came with the chipboard case so just to add to the knowledgebase, it wasn't just for the juniors. I don't think the 1961 Les Paul standard (a.k.a SG style) came with chipboard but the special definitely did.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Cool reference. Just a comment, the faux alligator skin chipboard case is stated to have come with early 60s juniors. I had a 1961 SG special that came with the chipboard case so just to add to the knowledgebase, it wasn't just for the juniors. I don't think the 1961 Les Paul standard (a.k.a SG style) came with chipboard but the special definitely did.

Cases were all extra in those days. Even Standards and Customs came if soft cases if that is what the buyer bought. Just like a Junior could have come in a hard case.
And some were bought without cases, and some were bought with non-Gibson cases.

Slowhands

Cases were all extra in those days. Even Standards and Customs came if soft cases if that is what the buyer bought. Just like a Junior could have come in a hard case.
And some were bought without cases, and some were bought with non-Gibson cases.

Ah, okay. Very good then. I suppose I should be glad I had an original case at all then. Though the chipboard case was really flimsy, truth be told. Definitely the budget conscious option for those buying lower end guitars then because it's sort of glorified cardboard.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Ah, okay. Very good then. I suppose I should be glad I had an original case at all then. Though the chipboard case was really flimsy, truth be told. Definitely the budget conscious option for those buying lower end guitars then because it's sort of glorified cardboard.

While I keep the original cases for my vintage Les Pauls, I never keep the guitars in them. Not protective enough. Late 70's Gibson [Gen 1] Protector cases are still my favorite. :)

agogetr

i have noticed different colors on the old aligator cardboard cases. i have a small stack of them as i have over the years moved my juniors (and melody makers) into hard cases for better protection.
some cases are darker. also the handles were darker brown or a tanish brown. diiferent patterns of aligator skin too.
one day i just noticed the differences and wondered if it was different manufacturers?or time frames?
havent had an sg in one but my 58 doublecut junior came in one as did my 60 burst. the burst was sold new in 1964 (covered in thick dust)so maybe thats the case they had laying around in back.
its kinda cool i found other folks with interest in falling apart cardboard