• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

VINTAGE LES PAUL CASES INFO

1954Gold

Wow, I did not know that LP Customs came in black cases! Does any one know the difference between these and the 68 LP Cases? Great Job Mike!

That case looks exactly like the case for my 1970 Deluxe. Great thread! Thanks!

flameburst

And what about latches...?

I have a cali case with brass, a four latch with brass and a five latch with steel/nickel latches AND one brass clasp latch.

Anyone else have this on theirs? Thanks again for any info.

Red Rocket

Thanks for all the hard work that went into this post Mike. I see that many of the guitars have their switchtips on, and there are marks in the case lids from the tips - do you actually store them this way with the tips on? (instead of in the internal storage compartment). And is that standard tissue paper you're using to bolster the padding? :hmm

MikeSlub

Administrator
Thanks for all the hard work that went into this post Mike. I see that many of the guitars have their switchtips on, and there are marks in the case lids from the tips - do you actually store them this way with the tips on? (instead of in the internal storage compartment). And is that standard tissue paper you're using to bolster the padding? :hmm

I do store mine with the switch tips on, yes. I flip them to the rhythm pickup position. And yes, it is tissue paper - works fine. :)

BCR/Greg

Les Paul Forum Member and Host of Guitar Shop
Vintage tissue paper sounds better.

Klunkerbill

I just scored an original Lifton 3/4 (baby Cali?) for my '60 3/4 Les Paul Jr. I don't know if I paid too much, but I really needed a case (damn kids). It was about the same as a used full size Lifton reissue (300ish). I sure hope my 3/4 D.C. Jr. fits in there. I'm not sure if the old Lifton 3/4 cases were made for single-cut Juniors or DCs. Will post pics when it arrives:).

DoubleBoogie

Mike...or anyone else that might know...I got a four latch case years ago and it has the Gibson logo with star on it. It also has one latch that doesn't have a swing latch on it. You have to press on a raised "button" and slide it to open the latch. As anyone seen one like this? I was wondering how rare these are and what year these might have been made.

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
If I understand it correctly, the 5-latch Cali Girl Lifton would be the most 'sought after' case. Is that right?
I mean the real Cali, the narrow-waisted one, like Mike's '57 GT is living in.
What years would that particular model of case cover? 56-58, or 57-59.... Or only '57?
More or less of course - there are no hard and fast rules with Gibson as we all know.

/GV

DoubleBoogie

Mike and or others....Here is a few shots of the old case that I have. Has anyone else seen a latch setup like this? Judging from the wear pattern on the top inside, it looks like it would have come from a wraptail or trapeze era. It also has "feet" on both the back side of the case as well as the side oppostie the latch. It came from Parker Music in Houston...

IMG_1750.jpg

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1751.jpg

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
No, hardly trapeze era. That's a later case. My guess is '58-'60.
What does the label on the inside of the lid say?

/GV

DoubleBoogie

No, hardly trapeze era. That's a later case. My guess is '58-'60.
What does the label on the inside of the lid say?

/GV

I said that because it appeared to me to be wear from only the bridge, but maybe that is the way they are supposed to wear. The label is the same as the label on the outside...Parker Music Co. Walker at Travis Houston

gerry fischer

i just saw that a vintage parts shop offers a 1958 rectangular burst case for export.
it is brown outside like a lifton and brown inside shaped for a les paul.
did they really have rectangular burst cases for export?

MikeSlub

Administrator
i just saw that a vintage parts shop offers a 1958 rectangular burst case for export.
it is brown outside like a lifton and brown inside shaped for a les paul.
did they really have rectangular burst cases for export?

I've never seen one. :hank

tspoon

Mike...or anyone else that might know...I got a four latch case years ago and it has the Gibson logo with star on it. It also has one latch that doesn't have a swing latch on it. You have to press on a raised "button" and slide it to open the latch. As anyone seen one like this? I was wondering how rare these are and what year these might have been made.

Boogie, I have the same case that you are describing (Cali) .......I do not have the star by Gibson though.....This type came with my 1956 Gold Top.......Can anyone else verify this with their 1956 ?
The Parker Logo (outside) is from here in Houston (I think) from what you posted in one picture. There is a Parker dealer here. I did not have a logo on the inside of the top part.......I do not have the Parker Logo on outside either......

100_2558.jpg

Last edited: