• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What is the best Flying V currently available? For Blues?

bluesforstevie

It's just a faded, sure, but the mahogany and p90s kick ass.

2007-frontfull.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I want!! Where? How?

ashbass

This is EXACTLY what I want!! Where? How?

Gibson Faded V polished up to shine nicely.
Custom pickguard from Terrapin Guitars.
P90s drop right in with no routing needed, though the bridge pup needs a large shim. I cut a block of mahogany for the shim and glued it into the guitar.

Here're the cavities after being painted with shielding paint and the shim placed.

2007-prep3.jpg

bluesforstevie

Every time I see that guitar, I love it. Great guitar for an excellent price and the P-90 mod is mad cool.

This is the guitar I've thought about in my head for awhile...didn't know it existed. Mahogany V, nice darker SG type stain/finish...black guard, black P90's and stoptail!! Put an old braz board on it and I'd be in 7th heaven.

ashbass

This is the guitar I've thought about in my head for awhile...didn't know it existed.
Well, you can't buy it anywhere but at least two exist. This is my second one. I sold the first to fund some other project. I got this one and was going to sell it but over the past two months I've convinced myself that it will be an always keeper. Too many good things in there that dont' come alone often enough.

Anyway, here are some more photos if you want to fuel your gas:
http://www.ashbass.com/Gibson/V/

Guitar 2007 and 819 are both Faded Vs with finish rubbed out and polished. 819 is used for all the combo comparisons at the end of the file list. Only the 2007 guitar I have now.

lpnv59

All Access/Backstage Pass
I always fantasized about making up a Leslie V-Jr. with a single dogear P90 and a wraparound.
2150_p48945.jpg

bookemdano

Rumbleseat I think had a coupla Lonnie Mack V's recently if thats any help?
(Lonnie Mack = Bigsby) :0)

DrumBob

I love the shape of a V, but they're cumbersome, like Explorers and Firebirds, and they're just too big for me. I'm 5' 5". Also, like CharlieS, I think I'm getting too old for one. Well, Albert King played one till he died and Lonnie Mack still does, so maybe I'm too self-conscious.

Truth be told, I'd buy one of those faded models if I were to get another. They're inexpensive and I like the wide neck on them. I could always trick out the pickups. I had a couple Epiphone V's and they were OK, but I hated the sound. Those Epi 'buckers in there were terrible. I'd probably get a new guard made and slap a couple of P-90's in.

veeman

I'm not understanding the "too old to play a V" part. Could someone explain that to me please. I play my V's everyday and gig with them every weekend, and I have never felt "too old to play them". I'm 45.

garywright

Thanks for the nod. That thing was extrordinarily light weight. Under 6.5 lbs with a good sized neck.

No plans to build any more atm so heres a pic.
Special thanks to Plankspanker. :)

294948667_97b7dd92bd_b.jpg

277178344_1e741d152a_o.jpg

was doing some fV internet searching and came across this old thread ..somehow I missed this one ..stunning ! :salude

GreenBurst

I'm not understanding the "too old to play a V" part. Could someone explain that to me please. I play my V's everyday and gig with them every weekend, and I have never felt "too old to play them". I'm 45.

+1

Texas Blues

I've got 2 Gibson V's

Both with Lollar p90's.

Both with Bigsby's.

I ain't gonna' lie.

I copied Ash years ago.

Both are tone monsters.

Straight no chaser into a 5e3.

Think Cortez the Killer.

But cooler.

goldtop0

A left field design in the '50s that doesn't look like a guitar.
I like to rest my right arm on the body of the instrument........I'm 66 and will never want to own a V........LPs and 335s do it for me.

crashbelt

To revert to the OP's question, a great 61 LP/SG Standard with PAFs, and the sideways blocked!, should be a better blues guitar than a V:)