• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Does wax potting destroy PAF tone ??

Dub'n 57 Goldtop

oh and his potted pups... wound to sound amazing WITH the wax. not amazing and then the wax f*cks it all up

Mars Hall

I had the PU's in 63 345 potted way back when I first heard about it. One of those choices I wish I could take back.

Maxmc

I had the PU's in 63 345 potted way back when I first heard about it. One of those choices I wish I could take back.
Yes, I know the feeling. I have a set of Tim Shaw humbuckers out of a Heritage 80 I used to own. They used to squeal so I had them wax potted. Then I replaced them with a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers. These were not the sound I was after so for this and a few other reasons, I sold the guitar. This was years ago but I've still got the Shaws and it seems that to some people they're the closest thing to a PAF Gibson or anyone else has ever got. I'd love to hear these pickups now with the wisdom of the years and make up my own mind but of course they've been "modified" from factory spec.

Big Al

Unless it is squealing like a pig in rut you can't tell. Despite all the religious fervour and dogmatic testimonial, you cannot hear a difference. I've done it so many times and no one has ever been able to tell. EVER. Lot's of bullshit, but in the real world there is no audible difference.

musekatcher

I appreciate the discussion. The recordings offered do suggest a different sound. But there's no way to compare the same pickup waxed and unwaxed, without disturbing other important factors. For the same reason, there's no way to compare two sets of pickups, waxed and unwaxed without disturbing other important features. So, from my unbiased view, neither the nays nor the yeas have a definitive case. And that would support the controversy and its perpetual nature.

Related, but can you unwax a pot, like put it in the oven on 220F on a drip tray? Or blanche it in simmering water?

LtKojak

Nobody noticed it's an eleven years old thread?

Necrothreading galore!!!!!!! (BTW, the lacking of basic human emotion emojies like the "wink" and "facepalm" in this board is outrageous)

musekatcher

Nobody noticed it's an eleven years old thread?

Necrothreading galore!!!!!!! (BTW, the lacking of basic human emotion emojies like the "wink" and "facepalm" in this board is outrageous)

I tend to look at recent activity, look at the OP, and read further if its interesting. Then I decide to contribute or participate, or not. I suspect many folks do this. I see no folly, except in the awkward situation where someone has started a conversation with the OP, that has been dormant a long time. Even then, I've seen the OP come right back, a re-stimulated conversation ensues, and such is the day in the life of the modern forum.

El Gringo

I use high gain Marshall's 2555X , and my Les Paul's are all loaded with Throbak MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups which of course are wax potted and I have plenty of highs and the mid range is where these pickups shine along with the volume and the gain and the Vintage 30's speakers and it really works for me . I had a negative experience with Unpotted Burstbucker 1& 3 pickups that squealed so bad and never again !

mesablue

Les Paul Forum Member, Classic Club
I bought a set of Burstbuckers 1 & 3 when they first came out, they were unpotted and had squeal issues at hi gain. But it was on here someone suggested just potting the magnet not the whole pick up. I did just magnet and perfect, no squeal, and no difference in tone. They have been in my Paul ever since I love the chime I get from the neck pup They have been the most satisfying PAFish pup I have had. :dude:

au_rick

I appreciate the discussion. The recordings offered do suggest a different sound. But there's no way to compare the same pickup waxed and unwaxed, without disturbing other important factors. For the same reason, there's no way to compare two sets of pickups, waxed and unwaxed without disturbing other important features. So, from my unbiased view, neither the nays nor the yeas have a definitive case. And that would support the controversy and its perpetual nature.

Related, but can you unwax a pot, like put it in the oven on 220F on a drip tray? Or blanche it in simmering water?

I beg to differ.
I recently pulled the pickups from an Epiphone and pulled the cover off the bridge an scraped out all of the wax, then replaced the cover.
Although I did not remove all the wax from the windings as suggested above, the pickup does sound very different now.

Big Al

I beg to differ.
I recently pulled the pickups from an Epiphone and pulled the cover off the bridge an scraped out all of the wax, then replaced the cover.
Although I did not remove all the wax from the windings as suggested above, the pickup does sound very different now.

I find this hard to believe.

Dave P

I never heard much of a difference in tone after dunking a pickup in wax, but I have noticed a change in the harmonic content. In most cases, it's the metal bits like the magnet, keeper bar, screw poles or cover that vibrates that cause the squealing. Usually not the coils unless the winds are super loose or something. I've carefully removed the keeper bar, magnet and screws and applied wax to them and reassembled the pickup. I've used tape under the cover to keep it from vibrating against the slugs. If it's a vintage pickup like a PAF, I wouldn't mess with it at all.

renderit

I tend to look at recent activity, look at the OP, and read further if its interesting. Then I decide to contribute or participate, or not. I suspect many folks do this. I see no folly, except in the awkward situation where someone has started a conversation with the OP, that has been dormant a long time. Even then, I've seen the OP come right back, a re-stimulated conversation ensues, and such is the day in the life of the modern forum.

I go by texture...

ScumbackSpeakers

Wax potting dulls the PAF tone, IMO. I've had aftermarket non potted BB and tried the ones that were potted from the factory. No contest the unpotted aftermarket sound more alive.

Since then, I tried Jim Wagner pickups, which is all I use now unless it's real PAF's.

renderit

The unpotted NOS wired Wizzes I have are very different.
Very edgy.
Very "Yo azz BETTER be able to control me or I will eat your lunch" kinda things.
Don't know which causes it; the old wire or the unpotted coils, or the wind, or what I ate for dinner yesterday.
I don't think it's my imagination.
That is usually on Cheryl Tiegs or Kate Beckinsale.

Sol

Since I started this thread I've realized that comparing like with like is tricky as we need two pickups from the same maker and the same resistance, made within a year or two, of each other,which leaves variables like magnet strength, an important factor out of the equation due to Gauss ,flux density, resonant peak and impedance equipment costs.

I do have two Gibson BB 1, s one potted one not, both read approx 7.7 k .

Out of interest I've recently bought a Gibson T Top that reads the same 7.7k from '73.

I can now hear, and in fact 'feel' the subtle difference between the two BB 1,s in my low to medium gain playing style, and it's playing slide where I hear slightly more harmonic overtones.
This is subtle stuff, but it's there all the same.

I've yet to fit the T Top for comparison purposes but when I do I'll update you on the results. I'm anticipating a sound like a classic '57 fitted with a short alnico 5 magnet.
One will be potted, the '57 the T Top not, I can't wait ..