• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help! I just f---ed up my LP!

PaulSG

What I'd do is scratch the shit out of a different area of the top, then the original scratches won't look as bad.

BluesForDan

All Access/Backstage Pass
scratch? You call that a scratch? I thought from the title of the thread that you broke the headstock off, or managed to break the binding, or pushed the strap button into the body, or smashed the switch into the cavity, or delaminated the fretboard, or bent a tuning peg, or dropping a mic stand base on the face of your guitar.

That is f---ing up your les paul.

burst59

I wonder about these kind of post sometimes, do they buy them to play or just to look at ? Either way if you play it or work on it sooner or later stuff like this will happen. :2zone

Adwex

You're not gonna do anything except leave it there. Make up a story to tell others how it happened.

...blah blah blah.....but the chick was really hot, so I said fuck it.

or

...blah blah blah... but it was the best solo I ever played.

You don't actually believe that the ding and paint chip missing from the top of my R7 happened when I walked into a boom stand, do ya?? No, it happened when this hot chick threw her bra at me during the best solo of my life. Those damn bra hooks will do it every time. Uhhh, yeah, that's a true story.

guitarvoodoo

Formerly fishnose, Les Paul Forum Member
I wonder about these kind of post sometimes, do they buy them to play or just to look at ? Either way if you play it or work on it sooner or later stuff like this will happen. :2zone

"Do THEY buy THEM to play or just to look at" - you mean those other, ordinary stupid people?
Talk about arrogant, phew :rolleyes:

A reply like that makes me wonder WTF I'm doing on this forum :hmm
I might say the wrong thing and get this kind of disdain pushed down my throat.

:] Fish

azlavalamp

Leave it, you're naturally aging that guitar now!

My suggestion is to become a guitar icon, at which point people will pay thousands of dollars to have professionals painstakingly reproduce the same scratches on their guitars.

THESE TWO PIECES OF ADVICE are the best you can get! Enjoy the history of this guitar which is "uniquely yours". Let it age gracefully. The finish will soon catch up with playwear to match.

les strat

I chalk up mechanical user error into mojo as well as gig battle scars. I have solder burns, sweat and beer hazing, buckle rash, pick dips in my pickup surrounds, screwdriver slips, sweat, fading from sweat and body heat, and microphone stand dings.

Just let it go.

THIS is when you have fucked a guitar up:
jan086.JPG

(AtomEve's 1964 SG)

SuperReal

Kind of amusing to see all these passionate responses to what, despite the somewhat hyperbolic thread title, was really just a simple question.....can this damage be fixed?
I don't think I could ever get that worked-up about someone else's guitar!

CharliePorter

I say don;t worry about it too. Hey, you've got some scars too, right. Living is hazardous to health, and guitars.

Have fun.

Charlie.

dmt

It surely was shocking and upsetting at first, but, as you're probably starting to see now [from the majority of the responses here], don't sweat it too much. It's nothing. Really.

The first one all by itself does look a bit jarring, but as other dings gradually add themselves in over time, it'll just be one of the crowd.

Mike M.

I would hardly call a few dings on a guitar "f****d up". Not even close.

kharrison

I wouldn't get in the habit of fixing dings on your guitar, eventually all these repairs will stand out and look rediculous. Leave it alone, you will get over it.

RocknTommy

It is the first emotion after the first ding in a guitar or even a car for that matter with me. It looks back at you like...
Look at me! You did this to me!:##

But as time goes by and more little things happen (and they will in most cases) it just becomes a time stamp in history.

Rare Form

I know the feeling. Several similar things have happened to me with guitars. I usually just learn to live with it and eventually the sting wears off and it just becomes a part of the guitar. I have had some scars repaired in the past and it was worth it, because it basically erased the mishap, but I could see no problem in getting this repaired. Should cost under $100.00 Might be worth it for piece of mind. But, if you are going to constantly obsess over it, then even getting it fixed will not be enough, because you might just find yourself constantly looking at where it used to be. Even with these repairs, if you look close enough you might see some trace of where it was buffed out. Going to have to be your choice. At some point, however, you're just going to have to let the scars be. One thing that may put your mind at rest is to look at the guitars in BOTB. These are the original Bursts that we all love so much and would all love to own, and some of these have many scars, much worse than yours, but they are the most saught after guitars and probably worth more than your house.

burst59

"Do THEY buy THEM to play or just to look at" - you mean those other, ordinary stupid people?
Talk about arrogant, phew :rolleyes:

A reply like that makes me wonder WTF I'm doing on this forum :hmm
I might say the wrong thing and get this kind of disdain pushed down my throat.

:] Fish

No you just have to have tough skin and not let things get to you around here that's all. :salude

Mondoslug

Some relic co. will charge you money to put that little gash in it. You got a good deal. :)

Thanks for the quarter/nickel tips!