The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Duane's Strings

  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member midfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny NH, USA
    Posts
    77

    Duane's Strings

    Anyone know what gauge and brand of strings Duane Allman used during the Filmore era? If so, how is it known?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member CharlieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Duane's Strings

    I remember hearing years ago that he used Fender 150s. The old 150s are 10-38s, which would make for pretty light wound strings.

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,361

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieS View Post
    I remember hearing years ago that he used Fender 150s. The old 150s are 10-38s, which would make for pretty light wound strings.
    +1 and a pretty crazy set at that, uses a 15 on the G string;
    when I used them way back when, they always felt good though.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member midfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sunny NH, USA
    Posts
    77

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Thanks - very interesting. And that was during the Filmore period after he switched from Fenders to LPs? You can get those at juststrings.com. Might give it a try. 10 is ok for slide at the top, 11 better - the others are pretty light! He did use that burst for both slide and straight playing in that era...

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Black58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the bathroom, fixing my guitar.
    Posts
    10,139

    Re: Duane's Strings

    BE CAREFUL! Fender string quality is NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to what it used to be! Tried a set a couple years ago (10-46) broke a string after ONE practice session. Thought it was a fluke and tried another. Broke TWO during the first practice, and these are 10's! A nice sentiment that they're putting them out there but, sentiment seems to be the only thing that they're capable of.

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member John B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Motor City
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Nostalgia isn't always a good thing when it comes to tools. Back in the day, they were pure nicklewraps too. Speaking of quality pure nicklewraps, Pyramids or Snake Oil are the way to go. Although if you wanted to experiment with the old 150s (10-38) gauges you would have to look elsewhere, unless you called up Snake Oil and had him put a set together for you.
    "Don't trust any guitarist that can't play Chuck Berry music." Cub Coda

    "I'm doomed to live." Keith Richards

    "I saw John Mayall in America, and we jammed... Mick Taylor is very good - frightening." Eric Clapton, Melody Maker, Nov. 1969

    "He has the sweetest tone I ever heard. He's the only one who gave me the cold sweats." B.B.King on Peter Green

    "Black guitars sound the best." César Diaz

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,361

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by Black58 View Post
    BE CAREFUL! Fender string quality is NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE to what it used to be! Tried a set a couple years ago (10-46) broke a string after ONE practice session. Thought it was a fluke and tried another. Broke TWO during the first practice, and these are 10's! A nice sentiment that they're putting them out there but, sentiment seems to be the only thing that they're capable of.
    Never had that prob when I used them, and I use a heavy pick, maybe a bad set, or how are your saddles?

  8. #8

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Every time I have tried any Fender strings, THEY SUCKED.
    "So I let the poison go, 'cause baby I always know it'll be there for me"

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member CharlieS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    2,618

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by davebc View Post
    Never had that prob when I used them, and I use a heavy pick, maybe a bad set, or how are your saddles?
    Neither did I. I very rarely broke a string with them. The problem with that 150 set is that it is very easy to pull the wound strings sharp when playing chords like F maj.

    I found that Ernie Balls are more lively sounding and I don't really use the Fenders much anymore.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member Black58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the bathroom, fixing my guitar.
    Posts
    10,139

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by davebc View Post
    Never had that prob when I used them, and I use a heavy pick, maybe a bad set, or how are your saddles?
    C'mon, man. Gimme a little leeway, here. Been playin' for almost 30 yrs. Saddles are smooth and I still do my pencil/Chap-Stik bit treatment. Those were two different sets! Last year, I revisited and on the second session, the A string snapped at the 7th fret, and I wasn't anywhere near that town!

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,361

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by Black58 View Post
    C'mon, man. Gimme a little leeway, here. Been playin' for almost 30 yrs. Saddles are smooth and I still do my pencil/Chap-Stik bit treatment. Those were two different sets! Last year, I revisited and on the second session, the A string snapped at the 7th fret, and I wasn't anywhere near that town!
    Leeway it is, just throwing ideas at the wall.
    Personally, I haven't used the 150's in a REAL long time probably 1974-75'
    I got on to them because they were Duane's brand/guage of choice, and back then I was everything Duane/ABB
    definitely a differen(and fun) feeling set for a while with the 15 for the the G. It's straight 10-46 for me now.
    Maybe that old addage is true, they don't make them like they use to.

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member Black58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the bathroom, fixing my guitar.
    Posts
    10,139

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by davebc View Post
    Leeway it is, just throwing ideas at the wall.
    Personally, I haven't used the 150's in a REAL long time probably 1974-75'
    I got on to them because they were Duane's brand/guage of choice, and back then I was everything Duane/ABB
    definitely a differen(and fun) feeling set for a while with the 15 for the the G. It's straight 10-46 for me now.
    Maybe that old addage is true, they don't make them like they use to.
    Painfully true, like everything else. Even... ...people! Be careful out there, brother.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member Beano Geno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    None
    Posts
    3,631

    Re: Duane's Strings

    What are the gauges for each string in the 150's set? Thanks in advance.

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member csteward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Duane's Strings

    the gauges for each string goes .010 .013 .015 .026 .036 .038. These are the same strings I use and yes it's also cause I heard Duane used them. Also I've read in many interviews of several guitarists back then and it seemed to be a popular gauge. Plus they sound and feel really nice. I know Hendrix has been known to use them, so has Stephen Stills, I think Clapton might have used them for a short while, I also think I read that Jeff Beck used them, but not so sure, and I've read the comment on the ABB forum from I believe Johnny Sandlin (posted by BigAnn) who played with Duane in the Hourglass days that said when he went with Duane to pick up strings Duane always got the Fender 10-38's, which he said surprised him because he thought Duane would have used a heavier guage since he played slide. I use these strings and only these string and don't have a problem with them I very rarely break string and I also top wrap them, the Fender Original 150 10-38's I get are fine.
    Last edited by csteward; 03-08-08 at 11:42 AM.

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member csteward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Just checked out Jeff Beck's strings seems he didn't, but any time you read an Interview of a guitarist from back then and they say they use Fender Rock and Roll strings that's the guage they're talking about I am very sure of it. Also I looked in old catalogs for fender (who.net I believe is where I found them, this is also '69, '70 era catalogs) and under the string section there is 10-38 as the highest gauge for electric strings if I remember correctly I don't think fender did 10-46 back then, but then again I wasn't around back then.

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member Black58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the bathroom, fixing my guitar.
    Posts
    10,139

    Re: Duane's Strings

    I guess I could see better longevity with a topwrap (soft) action and a slide. Also, with that light guage, a light touch would be a factor, as well. I just like my guitars to fight me a bit. When I push 'em, I like 'em to PUSH BACK! It's SO nice when that friction comes out of the speaker. Maybe, it's me. I don't know. I still think there's a quality issue, though. I mean, they ARE pretty much the cheapest strings you can buy.

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member csteward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Duane's Strings

    well I have about a medium touch where it's on the border of heavey, and I like by guitars to not be loose feeling, but have a bit of tension, so I can actually feel what I'm pulling on and not just feel like I'm slipping and sliding all over the place. One thing that is funny though is that when you read the back of the pack it says made in mexico from U.S. materials, and you would think since they're are strings that would at least try to keep the making within the U.S. to make for a better quality than their made in mexico stuff.

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    3,361

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by Black58 View Post
    I guess I could see better longevity with a topwrap (soft) action and a slide. Also, with that light guage, a light touch would be a factor, as well. I just like my guitars to fight me a bit. When I push 'em, I like 'em to PUSH BACK! It's SO nice when that friction comes out of the speaker. Maybe, it's me. I don't know. I still think there's a quality issue, though. I mean, they ARE pretty much the cheapest strings you can buy.
    Totally agree about the fight back, especially when the adrenaline gets flowing. You can really dig in. Nothing like a little resistance. To easy I can't play with any feel.
    One of the reasons I stopped topwrapping though was because the extra kink/bend in the strings where they bend over the tailpiece(versus straight through) seemed to be prematurely shortening the life of my strings.

    I just remembered the 150's were I would break a D string, not often though.

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member Black58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In the bathroom, fixing my guitar.
    Posts
    10,139

    Re: Duane's Strings

    Quote Originally Posted by davebc View Post
    Totally agree about the fight back, especially when the adrenaline gets flowing. You can really dig in. Nothing like a little resistance. To easy I can't play with any feel.
    One of the reasons I stopped topwrapping though was because the extra kink/bend in the strings where they bend over the tailpiece(versus straight through) seemed to be prematurely shortening the life of my strings.

    I just remembered the 150's were I would break a D string, not often though.
    Here's to stiff bitches!

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member csteward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: Duane's Strings

    never said I didn't like a little tension. I like a little tension so I can feel what I'm pulling on, I hate when it's loose feeling

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i