• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Installing Vibrola on SG

Elliot Easton

With Lyre:

4c1d_1.JPG

that's not a lyre, that's a tiki. if it doesn't have a lyre engraved on it (a lyre is an ancient sort of harp) why would anyone call it by that name, or is it possible that people don't actually know what a lyre is?

J.D.

that's not a lyre, that's a tiki. if it doesn't have a lyre engraved on it (a lyre is an ancient sort of harp) why would anyone call it by that name, or is it possible that people don't actually know what a lyre is?

My mistake. On my 10 year old teeny tiny monitor, that is a Lyre :lol

And, yes, I do in fact know what a Lyre is. Up until your tiki engraving, the Gibson Deluxe vibrola was commonly referred to as the Lyre vibrola, initially because of the engraving, but it became synonymous with the style of the mount. I posted it to show the respective position of the stop tp vs. the Deluxe mount.

Come on Elliott, you are just busting my chops now! Rockstars (shakes head). :rofl

fatnecks

I did read a good bit of the other thread before I got pissed and quit. However, I got two things from it.

1. There are some crabby bastards on here

2. I shall now be calling the trem on EE's SG's "Tikiola". Can you dig it?

92standard

Necro post of the century but, a mere 10 years later (and a different SG) I have finally got round to doing this conversion!

Not plugged the stop tail holes at this stage in case I change my mind.

Went with the Crazy Parts unit in nickel and so far no tuning issues. I think the 11 gauge strings and Big Bends Nut Sauce are helping with that.

IMG_20181110_142606 by ibrailsford

Last edited:

njsgstl

Man that looks sharp! Its exactly what I'm wanting to do with my '06 standard. I assume since you kept the stoptail stud bushings in that you did not need to ground the vibrola? My buddy is a wood worker, he said he'll be able to get me some thin mahogany caps to stain and cover the studs with, so I'm hoping it'll turn out decent.

Corvette76

I'm new to this forum. I found this thread by a search... I am about to start restoring a 1967 SG Special that had the Maestro Vibrola originally. Someone took it off at some point and put on an aftermarket bridge/tailpiece combo that just fit on the studs for the bridge so no new ferrels for the tail piece or anything so that's good. I'm not familiar with the Vibrola really so i was wondering why so many seem to hate it. For originality I was thinking i'd put one back on it while restoring but first i wanted to know WHY people have such a hatred for them and two whether it's going to affect the value much if i don't go back to it.

CAGinLA

I'm new to this forum. I found this thread by a search... I am about to start restoring a 1967 SG Special that had the Maestro Vibrola originally. Someone took it off at some point and put on an aftermarket bridge/tailpiece combo that just fit on the studs for the bridge so no new ferrels for the tail piece or anything so that's good. I'm not familiar with the Vibrola really so i was wondering why so many seem to hate it. For originality I was thinking i'd put one back on it while restoring but first i wanted to know WHY people have such a hatred for them and two whether it's going to affect the value much if i don't go back to it.

Some people don't bother to get their guitars properly set up by a luthier, so they get frustrated when the Vibrola throws their SG out of tune. You have to make sure your nut and saddles are properly filed and lubricated for it work well (also, it's important to string the guitar properly!).

One problem that is inherent in some Vibrolas is that the break angle on the "claw" is incorrect. This can drastically affect the action and (in extreme cases) could see the strings popping out of the saddles slots with over use. If the claw on one's Vibrola doesn't have the correct break angle from the factory, you have to consider grabbing an aftermarket one from Crazy Parts, or other parts dealer.

There is a slightly different feel and tone to Gibsons with Vibrolas; some might dislike it for whatever reason, but I dig it.

Corvette76

Thank you! The original vibrola is long gone.. do you have experience or preferences over the All-Parts or tge WD reproductions?
Some people don't bother to get their guitars properly set up by a luthier, so they get frustrated when the Vibrola throws their SG out of tune. You have to make sure your nut and saddles are properly filed and lubricated for it work well (also, it's important to string the guitar properly!).

One problem that is inherent in some Vibrolas is that the break angle on the "claw" is incorrect. This can drastically affect the action and (in extreme cases) could see the strings popping out of the saddles slots with over use. If the claw on one's Vibrola doesn't have the correct break angle from the factory, you have to consider grabbing an aftermarket one from Crazy Parts, or other parts dealer.

There is a slightly different feel and tone to Gibsons with Vibrolas; some might dislike it for whatever reason, but I dig it.

CAGinLA

Thank you! The original vibrola is long gone.. do you have experience or preferences over the All-Parts or tge WD reproductions?

I personally haven't had the need to purchase a 3rd party vibrola, but I have heard great things about Crazy Parts in Germany - if I needed a new vibrola, I would go with theirs.

Dandoodidoo

Hi guys.
I'm a newby in this forum but I wanted to share my personal experience. I bought and installed à Maestro Vibrola tremolo on my early 2008 Reissued Gibson SG: it was easy to install. It comes from Crazy Parts in Germany. Barbara Novak is one the manager and is a great professional.
All their products are top quality .( Fender-Paul Reed Smith and Gibson) Prices are quite expansive but that because they are original Parts.They offer also Aged products.

Dandoodidoo

Here is my 2008 Gibson SG 61 reissue ! I did install à Maestro Vibrola tremolo.
It works fine and stay in tune.
I bought it from Crazy Parts Germany. Great look I think.
What do you think?
Take care.
Dan

Attachments

• 20220513_203648.jpg
    20220513_203648.jpg
    693.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220513_203643.jpg
    20220513_203643.jpg
    502.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220513_203935.jpg
    20220513_203935.jpg