• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

$!600 to spend: Used Plaintop H or Flamed Standard?

Litcrit

I know what the vast # of replies on this forum will be, but basically, this is the question many Les Paul buyers will be facing. I figure the vast majority are going to choose the flamed "plus whatever they call it" standard. I'm kind of facing this question myself, as I am hankering after another 'bucker LP (traded my H8). How many of you guys feel as I do that the standard flametops are cutting into the resale value/desirability of the Historics in general?

Vic Vega

I believe the vast majority on this forum will feel as I do.

Historic. No doubt in my mind. I had the choice of a Standard Plus or an R7. I bought the R7 and have not regretted it for a second.

J

jisham

As someone who's had both...

There's no question in my mind on which to suggest: the Historic. Even if you grab an R7 Goldtop, you'll be amazed at the difference in T O N E. No comparison really and I personally don't believe for a minute that the new Standards affect Historic sales one way or the other.

Last edited:

Winston

Sonic Reducer
No question - Used Historic Goldtop or Plaintop over the standard all day.

Litcrit

I guess I'd have to hear them side by side. I wasn't wowed by the tone of any of the H's I've owned ('56, '57, '58). I admit I bought the Goldtops primarily to resell (found a mint pair for $2700!) but if either one blew me away, I would have been happy to keep it. The R8 I traded last month. I know this will make me a pariah on this forum, but the best sounding LP I've ever played (acoustically and electrically) was an early 70's standard I used to play 6 nights/week. It was rather unsightly and I sold it many years ago to buy a Heritage 80 (that never sounded good but looked great). The H's I've owned sound "tight" to me. I imagine if they were gigged for 20 years they'd open up, but for now, they sound like "new" guitars (the Standards will as well). Anybody got a "real" LP for under 30G's?

Vic Vega

It's not going to make you a pariah. That's your experience and that's cool. You don't need anywhere close to $30,000 for a 70's LP. Go find the "one".

Litcrit

I think you must know I meant a '58-'60. Finding a good sounding 70's LP (or strat) is tough, most are 5 to 6 pieces of randomly selected heavy (not dried) wood, glued together to form a rather inert mass. Finding a toneful one is a real research project, but once in awhile a guitar that shouldn't sound good does, and that's a kicker. But I wouldn't spring for over $1000 on ANY 70's LP, no matter how good...

Litcrit

I think you must know I meant a '58-'60. Finding a good sounding 70's LP (or strat) is tough, most are 5 to 6 pieces of randomly selected heavy (not dried) wood, glued together to form a rather inert mass. Finding a toneful one is a real research project, but once in awhile a guitar that shouldn't sound good does, and that's a kicker. But I wouldn't spring for over $1000 on ANY 70's LP, no matter how good...

Vinyltap

I prefer the historic stuff too.
I was playing "off the rack" Pauls back in the seventies and
they were great guitars. Hmmm...they cost about $550 new
and you got them used for $300.
Still I would have loved to have had todays Historic stuff back then to go out and gig with.

Still that old 70's version I do like.
And the ones they make today are just as good if not better,
It's not like they lost the formula or anything.

But I would choose a historic goldtop over one anytime.
Once I pick one of those up I dont want to pick up
a regular Paul.

PatentAppliedFor

Litcrit said:
But I wouldn't spring for over $1000 on ANY 70's LP, no matter how good...

Good luck finding one for under a grand that isn't routed/hacked/repaired =)

My vote is for the Historic btw, I haven't played any newer Standards that sound as good, & that's the bottom line for me.